Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 27, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #931 of 16,078
When I spoke with the Smyth team at CanJam London they were still hoping to start delivering at the end of next month, ie August.

That's what I've been told also.
I think by Christmas the latest,everyone will receive his order if placed this month.

That would be quite amazing if they start delivering by the end of August. They had said they were planning on shipping all Kickstarter orders and preorders (if you hit the June 30 preorder cutoff) at the same time since they had to delay shipping to at least August. Do we know if that’s still the case where everyone will ship at once regardless of order date?

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #932 of 16,078
I think that Smyth should send a few equipments to his loyal clients to debug possible issues, someone know? i think as many items preordered, some times have final issues.
I listen some demos at youtube like Holoacoustic - True 3D audio demonstration (please rewind) by quarterplane and the matchbox is amazing , i know that is an aproach to 3d audio but this should be an example of the capabilities of the Headphones and the realiser to virtualize the audio on a 3d space (atmos, auro, 5.1, 7.1 etc)
Anyway i made my preorder in june :)
Btw is my first post at Head-Fi! :D

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #933 of 16,078
Excellent, fast response from James @ smyth last night :D

Sent an email asking about ordering an extra tracker for delivery with the system I've pre-ordered.
Within the hour he'd responded and item paid/added to the system.

Jul 28, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #934 of 16,078
I think that Smyth should send a few equipments to his loyal clients to debug possible issues, someone know? i think as many items preordered, some times have final issues.
I listen some demos at youtube like Holoacoustic - True 3D audio demonstration (please rewind) by quarterplane and the matchbox is amazing , i know that is an aproach to 3d audio but this should be an example of the capabilities of the Headphones and the realiser to virtualize the audio on a 3d space (atmos, auro, 5.1, 7.1 etc)
Anyway i made my preorder in june :)
Btw is my first post at Head-Fi! :D
Like we said before :
Welcome to Headfi and sorry about your wallet.:)
However, the Realiser A16 is something one will enjoy for a long time.

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #936 of 16,078
That would be quite amazing if they start delivering by the end of August. They had said they were planning on shipping all Kickstarter orders and preorders (if you hit the June 30 preorder cutoff) at the same time since they had to delay shipping to at least August. Do we know if that’s still the case where everyone will ship at once regardless of order date?
No that's not the case. They are shipping in time order. As many as can be built will be shipped on the first day and as the Realisers are built they will be shipped out in order of first come first served. Which is fair

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #937 of 16,078
No that's not the case. They are shipping in time order. As many as can be built will be shipped on the first day and as the Realisers are built they will be shipped out in order of first come first served. Which is fair

I only brought it up because their update where they said they were pushing shipping back to August said this: "We now expect to begin shipping sometime August 2017. On the plus side we will now be shipping all Kickstarter and Pre-Sales A16s together, irrespective of pledge level or pre-sale price". Maybe I'm reading that wrong, but doesn't that sound like they are planning on shipping to everyone at once?

Jul 29, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #939 of 16,078
I only brought it up because their update where they said they were pushing shipping back to August said this: "We now expect to begin shipping sometime August 2017. On the plus side we will now be shipping all Kickstarter and Pre-Sales A16s together, irrespective of pledge level or pre-sale price". Maybe I'm reading that wrong, but doesn't that sound like they are planning on shipping to everyone at once?
I was told verbally by one of the Smyth team. Last week.

Jul 29, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #940 of 16,078
Wonder how long these will need to be "in the wild" before we see a decent Exchange market. I hope that idea actually takes off, I can't see myself getting to a fancy studio to do a measurement anytime soon...

Jul 29, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #941 of 16,078
Wonder how long these will need to be "in the wild" before we see a decent Exchange market. I hope that idea actually takes off, I can't see myself getting to a fancy studio to do a measurement anytime soon...
Don't worry, hopefully the Headfi owners will be kind enough to exchange the files between themselves and also there will be the Free Smyth Research database.

Jul 29, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #942 of 16,078
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG

Jul 29, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #944 of 16,078
Jul 29, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #945 of 16,078
News Update 30/7/2017

All aspects of the production are proceeding well. Mass production of the metalwork for both 2U and headstand (HS) will be completed in the next couple of weeks. Pre-production samples of both types have now been reviewed and we are happy to say the manufacturing quality is good. When we get the first production samples back from China (with final silk screen) we will post a complete set of photos.

The A16 board assembly will begin August and we should have these back in the UK mid September at the latest. The HDMI 2.0b hardware is also in manufacture and due for delivery to us early September. We would like to think that final assembly and test will begin before the end of September.

On the software side we are focused mostly on preparing for Dolby and DTS certification. We plan to submit sample A16s to both companies by the end of August. Approval often takes 3-4 weeks but it may take longer if compliance issues arise. Since the A16 design allows for firmware updates, assembly can proceed regardless and we can update prior to shipping as required.

We have two minor developments to report. First, we employed an English woodworking company to make us some trial side panels for the 2U enclosure. They connect to where the rack-mount wings go so you can only fit one or the other. Our feeling is that we probably need at least 4 different wood types to give owners a decent choice if we do decide to offer these panels for sale. The photographs show oak and walnut, both with an oil finish.

Second, we will be including a differential headphone output mode for driving balanced headphones using both User A and User B headphone output jacks together. This mode is intended for single user operation. The photo shows a typical connection for the Sennheiser HD800 using a balanced Custom Cans dual ¼” stereo jack cable where the User A jack drives the left-ch transducer and User B jack the right-ch transducer.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...al-3d-audio-headphone-processor/posts/1950017

Users who are viewing this thread

Back