So, I happened to get a Sennheiser Orpheus
Sep 13, 2013 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Steelratt

New Head-Fier
Long story short, a family member passed away and I am helping to handle his audio equipment.  Among the items I found a Sennheiser Orpheus, among many other things.

I'm going to be testing it to make sure it's working fine, but is there a US service center for Sennheiser that can handle checking it out if it needs any service?  The top pad is cracked and flaking, which from what I read is not uncommon.  The ear pads are cracking a bit but not flaking.  Is there a source for the top pad?  I have a set of NOS replacement tubes, also.

Also, what are these things going for?  I see a person selling one on Ebay for $30,000, but it's in Germany, and has been listed at that for a while.

Thanks for the help!

I tried to post photos, but am not able to (new member issue?)

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 22
Senn USA Can handle repairs & should be able to order pads & headband pad. 30 k is way overpriced
More around 20k .

Sep 15, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 22
I wouldn't sell something like this on ebay though. Anybody could screw you with a credit card chargeback. I know it may sound weird, but I would never take such a heavy risk. Would rather sell locally.

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 22
  Steelratt: You can post pictures now.

You just wanna see pictures of this baby, don't you?  
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #8 of 22
I wouldn't sell something like this on ebay though. Anybody could screw you with a credit card chargeback. I know it may sound weird, but I would never take such a heavy risk. Would rather sell locally.

Or Audiogon.  Still, I'd be scared to even pack that thing up.  Keep it and know that you own a classic.

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 22
Pics added to first post.

I wish I could keep it. Fired it up today, seems to work fine. Vacuum tubes are so elegant, he had a bunch of other vacuum tube stuff too (Mac, art audio), very elegant.

Thanks for the suggestion about eBay, I hate them with a passion, and only use them for cheap stuff. Audiogon is a bit better.

I'll try sennheiser us about the head pad.

He had grado rs2s and sennheiser hd600 as well, they sound pretty good too.

Oct 5, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #14 of 22
Thanks for all the input. It's going to get sold, I'm just debating if I should bring it to sennheiser USA first for a check up. It's running fine, so I'm not sure if it's needed, I just thought it might boost buyer confidence.

It's a amazing sounding and looking piece, and I wish I could keep it, but the unit, and the proceeds from its sale, belong to my aunt and her daughter. He had some other cool audio stuff that I might buy, but this is out of my price range.

I have gotten jerked around by ebay so many times it's ridiculous. It's easy to stick it to sellers and defraud them, so it'll probably just be ebay and here. Saw the last one in Germany sold on ebay for 28k, so selling this one for a fair amount less will not be too hard, I hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back