So torn.
Dec 16, 2008 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Connahhh

New Head-Fier
I came here to upgrade from my Bose In-ear whatever things. My Parents bought them for me for my birthday because I had asked for "nice earphones." I wasn't so concerned about SQ then as I am now. When they had broken twice, I brought them back for my money back.

After much scouring of the forums, I've narrowed it down to wanting IEM's under $200. I had my heart set on NuForce NE-7m's or NE-8's, but I'm put off by the number of people having trouble getting a good seal. I know I could get a pair of Comply T-400/500's, but I'm also put off by the durability of those.

So now I'm again pretty lost. I need new earphones soon because I can't deal with my $15 ones from Wal-Mart (that I bought so I could listen to anything) any longer. Would I be happy with Image X10's? They are at the top of my price range which is the only bummer about that one.

I like bass, but I'm not a basshead. It has to be present but not booming or overpowering. I'm going to be playing whatever I get unamped.

Any suggestions?

Dec 16, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 16
$200 would get you a LOT of comply tips for your NE-7m. Durability was never an issue for me, as they were infused with cracking, disgusting wax by the time they wore out. I've got no problem with disposing of things like that, though you might.

Dec 16, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 16
How durable do you want your purchase to be?

Rather, the better question is: How careful are you with your headphones? Will they always be placed back in some kind of carrying case after each use? Do you ever pull fragile electronic devices by the cord? Will you use these while running?

This will help weed out purchases that may not suit your lifestyle.

Dec 16, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$200 would get you a LOT of comply tips for your NE-7m. Durability was never an issue for me, as they were infused with cracking, disgusting wax by the time they wore out. I've got no problem with disposing of things like that, though you might.

No, I know it would. But I would rather pay an extra $100 or so to get some better sounding earphones than $100 worth of tips. Unless NE-7m's (or NE-8's) with new tips are on the same level as x headphone priced at $150 or whatever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How durable do you want your purchase to be?

Rather, the better question is: How careful are you with your headphones? Will they always be placed back in some kind of carrying case after each use? Do you ever pull fragile electronic devices by the cord? Will you use these while running?

This will help weed out purchases that may not suit your lifestyle.

I usually just shove them in my pocket, but I think if I spent any real money on them I'd be more careful. I'd use them daily (probably 1-2 hours a day) and they would be with my the whole time. I would bike (rather, unicycle) with them.

Dec 16, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

You probably should have asked for unicycling headphones from the get-go.

This is probably going in my signature, if you don't mind. Funniest thing I've read all day.

Dec 16, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Connahhh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I usually just shove them in my pocket, but I think if I spent any real money on them I'd be more careful. I'd use them daily (probably 1-2 hours a day) and they would be with my the whole time. I would bike (rather, unicycle) with them.

Well, the main competitors at the $200 area are Image X10s (comfortable, decent bass, warm sound, but fragile where cord meets the IEMs), Sleek SA6 (referred to by some as "dainty", known for their fragility, but has very clean sound and customizability with various "ports" for different bass/treble output), and Future Sonics Atrio M5 (very hard hitting bass that's clean and has a "fast attack", nice highs on these, needs to burn in for 50-100 hours before sounding the best). Another option is the Head-Direct RE0, but I don't know much about it. Also, if you like your bass to have high detail (with the rest of the mids and highs having amazing clarity), the Etymotic HF5 is great, and can provide an ample amount of bass if you EQ it up a few dB.

Hmm.....I'd almost say get the Westone UM2 and be done with it. I think those are supposed to be less fragile than most of the above IEMs (other than the Atrio M5 which seems pretty sturdy), and they'll provide a comfortable listening experience with a warm, laid back sound and plenty of bass that shouldn't be overpowering.

Dec 16, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the main competitors at the $200 area are Image X10s (comfortable, decent bass, warm sound, but fragile where cord meets the IEMs), Sleek SA6 (referred to by some as "dainty", known for their fragility, but has very clean sound and customizability with various "ports" for different bass/treble output), and Future Sonics Atrio M5 (very hard hitting bass that's clean and has a "fast attack", nice highs on these, needs to burn in for 50-100 hours before sounding the best). Another option is the Head-Direct RE0, but I don't know much about it. Also, if you like your bass to have high detail (with the rest of the mids and highs having amazing clarity), the Etymotic HF5 is great, and can provide an ample amount of bass if you EQ it up a few dB.

Hmm.....I'd almost say get the Westone UM2 and be done with it. I think those are supposed to be less fragile than most of the above IEMs (other than the Atrio M5 which seems pretty sturdy), and they'll provide a comfortable listening experience with a warm, laid back sound and plenty of bass that shouldn't be overpowering.

Yeah, fragility of the cord might be important. I don't think I could live with always babying them. I'll take a (longer) look at the UM2's, as I haven't done too much research about them.

Quote:

Not sure if that was meant to be a joke or not (I've been without power due to an ice storm for the past 5 days, my sarcasm meter is way out of whack), but since I won't be primarily using them for unicycling I didn't mention it.

Dec 16, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

aaaaahahaha... it's only so often I laugh out loud while at work. thanks

Dec 16, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

I came here to upgrade from my Bose In-ear whatever things. My Parents bought them for me for my birthday because I had asked for "nice earphones." I wasn't so concerned about SQ then as I am now. When they had broken twice, I brought them back for my money back.

After much scouring of the forums, I've narrowed it down to wanting IEM's under $200. I had my heart set on NuForce NE-7m's or NE-8's, but I'm put off by the number of people having trouble getting a good seal. I know I could get a pair of Comply T-400/500's, but I'm also put off by the durability of those.

So now I'm again pretty lost. I need new earphones soon because I can't deal with my $15 ones from Wal-Mart (that I bought so I could listen to anything) any longer. Would I be happy with Image X10's? They are at the top of my price range which is the only bummer about that one.

I like bass, but I'm not a basshead. It has to be present but not booming or overpowering. I'm going to be playing whatever I get unamped.

Any suggestions?

You should get a pair of used Westone UM2s. Like these for example
wink_face.gif

Actually, whether you get them from me or not, you can get a nice used pair for around $200 and they will serve you well for a long time. Great fit, great comfort, and great sound. I never rode a unicycle with them on, but I did plenty of other stuff wearing them and they are great.

Thanks!
George

Dec 16, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #11 of 16
Are UM2's really worth the extra $150 (used) over NE-7m's? I know they're good phones, but is it justifiable to someone knew to the audiophile world? Would the difference be obvious?

Dec 16, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdpeck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is probably going in my signature, if you don't mind.

I poach quotes all the time without asking, but I would be honored, sir.

Dec 16, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #14 of 16
Also, my Sister and Dad both have a pair of Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5's. Don't know if that matters or would help any decisions.

EDIT: Should I try them and see what I do/don't like about them?

Dec 16, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Also, my Sister and Dad both have a pair of Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5's. Don't know if that matters or would help any decisions.

EDIT: Should I try them and see what I do/don't like about them?

I don't see why not, seeing as you have something to gain from the audition in terms of experience and knowledge.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back