So, what are the best earphones I can get for under $200 ?
Sep 13, 2010 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

venalitious

Head-Fier
Exactly what the title says. 
Looking for the best possible earphones for under 200 dollars, preferably with the best bass possible (as long as it does not sacrifice other aspects). 
and also what are the earphones that my avatar is? 

(sorry, new to this site)

Sep 13, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 48
Best universal iem for under $200 IMHO is the Fischer Audio DBA-02. Reference quality sound.

After that, you might want to look at the Hifiman RE-0 which many members here like (I haven't heard them).

Sep 13, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 48
Since you are new, I should take the time to tell you there is generally no such thing as a universal "best" in the world of enthusiast audio. Only different, with ambiguous degrees of better.

There are things to consider such as how much isolation(noise blockage) matters to you, or build quality, fit and comfort, microphonics(noise caused by chords when walking), etc. "Best" bass is also something very difficult to judge. For some, best bass means the most possible at the highest quality possible. For others it means impact when needed. For yet others, it means detailed texturing in the bass.

I can point you to some good options though.

Fischer DBA-02: Known to be just shy of a "neutral" sound(not leaning too much toward any part of the frequency), incredibly detailed with great instrument separation and whatnot. The bass is said to be well textured, but may be lacking for some, especially if you have a poor source. Price around 150

Radius DDM: Pretty much the antithesis of the DBA, the DDM has humongoliscious bass that is well textured. It's supposed to have a multilayered kind of sound, with softish treble and smooth mids, and of course big bass. However, there have been several complaints about fit, and they don't isolate very well apparently. Nevertheless, there are also many members who get them to fit just fine.  Price around 150

HJE900: The only one of these I've actually heard(and own), they are big on bass yet also very detailed. It's an aggressive sound that might be too much for some, but it certainly works for many of us. Only $78 at the moment.

Other things that come to mind around 200 or below are the CK90Pro and Klipsch custom 3.

Sep 13, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #4 of 48
Thank you for that. 
I was actually looking at all three of those. The Radius DDM's really caught my eye, but the only problem is I have no clue how comfortable they would be in my ears, and that is a big factor in if I want to purchase them.

As for what I am looking for in bass, is just really high quality. I listen to a lot of Dubstep and trance, so whatever would accompany with those (Sorry, I am not very audio savvy). And what do you mean by "textured"?

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 48

Quote:
Thank you for that. 
I was actually looking at all three of those. The Radius DDM's really caught my eye, but the only problem is I have no clue how comfortable they would be in my ears, and that is a big factor in if I want to purchase them.

As for what I am looking for in bass, is just really high quality. I listen to a lot of Dubstep and trance, so whatever would accompany with those (Sorry, I am not very audio savvy). And what do you mean by "textured"?

DDM are great for trance genre with nice bass lines. I prefer them over BA drivers for electronic music with deep low driven bass lines.
DBA-02 is neutral with not much bass for my taste.

DDM fit may be problematic  if your ears are small. I got no issue with the right tips they fit perfectly. Happy shopping!

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #9 of 48

Quote:

you should be looking at the monster turbine pro coppers/golds, call onecall.com, and ask them for the lowest price possible, and they'll usually give you $170 for the golds, and $220-250 for the coppers, if you don't get the best price first, try again at a later time, and if you realized after calling a few times, you're first offer was the best, remember which sales rep you called

James

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #10 of 48
I think you need to do more research on each phone in their threads rather than rely on just the input here.  Plus, noone knows what you are looking for in your IEMs because you haven't mentioned it.

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #11 of 48
all I meant was, the prices displayed on the internet for monster IEMSs are generally much higher than the actually price you could easily purchase them for. and that's really only useful info if you really want to purchase a pair of monsters, well, now that I do have the monsters (pro turbine coppers) I can make a quick comparison with my alternate pair of IEMs, the sennheiser CX300IIs. IMO, the copper has less bass, but better quality, and though they still have a strong presence, they don't dominate or overpower the entire scene unlike the senheissers, also, in comparison to the sennheisers, the coppers are much cleaner and everything is more defined. the OP wanted a IEM that has strong and powerful bass that doesn't dominate the entire range, IMO, the coppers are a good choice, thought you might want to look into the MDs or golds as well

James

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #12 of 48
I recommend the hje900 , custom 3  ,both supurb phones for around the $100 mark , hje900 has deeper more textured bass than the custom 3 and a better defined and shaped bass than the monster golds/coppers.

Any of these four are good iem's with great bass though 
popcorn.gif

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #13 of 48

Quote:
I think you need to do more research on each phone in their threads rather than rely on just the input here.  Plus, noone knows what you are looking for in your IEMs because you haven't mentioned it.

I have been doing some research around on the forum, as well as asking questions.
And what do you mean what am I looking for in my IEMs? I thought, comfort, and high quality bass was all I needed to say since that is all I am really looking for......

Sep 14, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #14 of 48

Quote:
I have been doing some research around on the forum, as well as asking questions.
And what do you mean what am I looking for in my IEMs? I thought, comfort, and high quality bass was all I needed to say since that is all I am really looking for......

Isolation, fit, unamped performance, warranty, build, comfort, detail and texture vs. impact and rumble.  Anyway, sometimes people get something they thing they will like based on sound but other factors end up causing problems.

Sep 14, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #15 of 48

Quote:
Isolation, fit, unamped performance, warranty, build, comfort, detail and texture vs. impact and rumble.  Anyway, sometimes people get something they thing they will like based on sound but other factors end up causing problems.

Sorry to ask but, what is unamped performance? Is isolation like noise cancelling? and what exactly is detail and texture vs. impact and rumble? (Sorry, not an audiophile, as you can tell.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back