Software and Hardware Dolby Headphone
Mar 31, 2010 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ear8dmg

500+ Head-Fier
I've previously claimed that Software DSP based Dolby Headphone is inferior to hardware based implementations like receivers or the Xonar series of soundcards. I'm here to eat my words. Having bought PowerDVD 9, I tried the 1.20.0.276 version of DolbyHph.dll with Foobar2000. It's a big improvement on the older version I'd used. And well - I think it's good enough.

I'm a big fan of Dolby Headphone for music use. I initially started using Dolby Headphone with a Xonar D2 soundcard. That was when I fell in love with the effect. I'm also a keen gamer so like to have an X-Fi for various gaming effects. I moved from the D2 to an X-Fi Prelude and ended up buying a Victor SU-DH1 so I could contine to use Dolby Headphone, as software just didn't cut it.

Anyway - that was with an older Dolby Headphone .dll. I'm now using the PowerDVD9 version. If I'd had this earlier - I probably wouldn't have bought the SU-DH1. It sounds near identical to the SU-DH1 but without some of it's low-mid-fi shortcomings.

Now if only I could get it working in games on the Prelude... I wouldn't have any further need of the SU-DH1 at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back