Solutions on using a laptop as speaker’s audio source
Feb 21, 2010 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Lenni

Headphoneus Supremus
I should’ve probably posted this in the Computer Audio, but looks kinda busy over there so I tried here, please mod move it there if it’s, my bad.

I’m wondering what are the best options for using a laptop as an audio source. Its sound card it’s extremely poor, vile is more like. I’m using the DacMagic but not even a miracle Dac is gonna turn the sound from this soundcard into something listenable.
Is the Emu-0404 the best soundcard for laptops? Is there any way I can get a Xonar to plug in somehow?

other best solutions?

Feb 21, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 6
There are several similar threads in the computer audio forum (which is definitely the more appropriate one), but i think there is a misunderstanding from either me (im a noob) or you...
Quote:

I’m using the DacMagic but not even a miracle Dac is gonna turn the sound from this soundcard into something listenable.

I thought that using a DAC completely bypassed the internal soundcard (which is basically a DAC+ADC), so your soundcard shouldnt matter at all once you start using an external DAC...If youre getting a terrible sound with the DACMagic, the DACmagic only (or your earphones/amp/speakers) should be to blame....right??

EDIT
Are you in South Africa? Im moving to Mozambique soon... wondering if you got your Audioengine there in ZA and for how much, im considering buying some here in France before moving

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 6
so you're saying if I connect a better external soundcard to the DacMagic wouldn't make any difference?

I'm in sunny London
frown.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #4 of 6
The dacmagic is already a highly praised dac. Using it should completely bypass your laptop's build in sound card. If you're still getting shoddy sound, the most likely culprit is a ground loop which will sound like a constant low level buzz. The quick fix for this is a ground loop isolator which will run you $20 from any electronics shop (radio shack has them).

If you're hearing intermittent sound that warbles, it's likely interference from another source. Try shortening your cable runs and/or using shielded cables, shut off nearby appliances, etc.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 6
* Higher quality DAC.
* Higher quality source files (Lossless in not already).
* Bit-perfect playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back