Solved.
Apr 26, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #2 of 15
For EDM and trance, I'd say the M50s wouldn't be a bad bet, even against the Momentum. The HD598 is technically the best headphone of the three, but don't have much bass.

If your budget is $300, take a look at the HFI-2400.

Apr 26, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 15
Hello,

I prefer the Momentum all day over the ATH-M50 but in between Momentum & HD598;

HD598 for soundstage, imaging and for movies, classical, instrumental, jazz, etc
Momentum for EDM and any electronic music + modern music

The best of both would be AH-D600. Wide soundstage, great imaging, bass for EDM. I think it best suit your needs.

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Apr 26, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #7 of 15
I don't understand why people like the Momentums so much. IMO too warm midrange and glossed-over treble for $300. And as you say, they don't have much soundstage to speak of.

Apr 26, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #9 of 15
I had the momentums and the M50s and found both to be lacking in detail and overall sound quality (especially in the mids). I haven't tried the d600 but I do own the d5000s and love them. I know they have different drivers but if the d600s are close in sound to the d5000s that would be my choice. I think you can get them used on Amazon and still return them if you don't like them.

Good luck

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #11 of 15
I would suggest the Philips Fidelio X1s. They're quite bassy and detailed. I don't find them to be an issue while enjoying other multimedia besides music. They're a fantastic headphone, and if you can get them to fit properly (since they might not work on everyone), then - like me - you should practically forget you're wearing them.

As for your original three options, I don't recommend any of them. M50s are overpriced, you might find the Pittards leather on the Sennheiser Momentums uncomfortable after a while (it feels really susceptible to sticky surfaces), and that's if you can fit your ears comfortably inside the small cups. Sennheiser HD 598s are fantastic, but unless you can get them under $200, I wouldn't pay for them. Sennheiser HD 558s can match their performance fairly well despite the price difference. The upgrade isn't really worth it, in my opinion. That said, if you value a bit of refinement, they're a good headphone. You'll probably enjoy the warm sound signature for your music. Momentums are great too, but as I've said, not the most comfortable headphones.

I can't speak for the Denon AH-D600s, but I can't recommend Ultrasone products. I've heard nothing but complaints about their headphones from the cheapest to the most expensive. They're too fatiguing and a lot of them are prone to sibilance, which - to me - ruins all enjoyment. If you don't know what sibilance is, it's where there's a hissing sound accompanying an S sound in vocals, kind of like a hiss. You'll notice it in cymbal banging, as well. If your ears are sensitive, don't buy them. Denon AH-D600s get a lot of love on Head-Fi, so you might not be poorly served.

At the end of the day, Philips Fidelio X1s are my headphone of choice. The bass is slightly loose and the treble is a little bit artificial, and a few people can't get a stellar fit, but if you can beat all of those criteria, I guarantee you that you'll enjoy these headphones if you dig its sound signature.

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #12 of 15

I can't speak for the Denon AH-D600s, but I can't recommend Ultrasone products. I've heard nothing but complaints about their headphones from the cheapest to the most expensive. They're too fatiguing and a lot of them are prone to sibilance, which - to me - ruins all enjoyment. If you don't know what sibilance is, it's where there's a hissing sound accompanying an S sound in vocals, kind of like a hiss. You'll notice it in cymbal banging, as well. If your ears are sensitive, don't buy them. Denon AH-D600s get a lot of love on Head-Fi, so you might not be poorly served.

The HFI-2400s aren't sibilant at all, actually.

And sibilance is not necessarily a bad thing, yet people with sensitive ears also tend to be the most vocal, which is why you get so many complaints.

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #14 of 15

The HFI-2400s aren't sibilant at all, actually.

And sibilance is not necessarily a bad thing, yet people with sensitive ears also tend to be the most vocal, which is why you get so many complaints.

I don't recommend them to people whose ears are sensitive to sibilance. I'm one of them, so I don't endorse them, but I know that some Head-Fi'ers still like Ultrasone products. I was thinking of trying out HFI-580s at one point before a couple friends I speak to were quick to suggest that the sibilance was an issue. Speaking as the owner of EX37Bs, I can definitely say I can't stand sibilance, so I evaded. Not to mention, I might be mistaken, but Ultrasone products appear to be overpriced in the US, and I think that has to do with a lack of presence stateside. I could be wrong, but each time I've looked at Ultrasone products and compared them to the buyer's guide, they appeared ridiculously inflated. Some ebay sellers have them for reasonable prices, but that varies from time to time (though the 580s appear fairly priced, right now).

I don't mean to speak ill of Ultrasone products. I've never listened to them. But I have heard sibilance, and past Ultrasone reviews (such as the Edition 10s) along with word of mouth have left me to believe that their sound signature leans towards fatiguing.

Nonetheless, I stand by my Fidelio X1 suggestion.

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #15 of 15
The Momentum is popular for its design, material quality, brand and it's sound signature is suitable for almost any genre of music but they master at none and does not do quite well in jazz, classical and the like but other than that, a great pair of headphone for $300. Keep in mind Momentum is a closed headphone so having small soundstage is reasonable it is just that we are spoiled by headphones like K550, PSB M4U1, NAD HP50, H6 and the like but for portable, we shouldn't take soundstage too important IMO the Monentum is also pretty natural in timbre. Love the warmth of Sennheiser!

I am not a fan of X1 after testing it with E07K; artificial vocal and lose out bass. I prefer AH-D600 over it :)

IMO
Billson :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back