Some Blackberry Storm General Impressions (Voda 9500)
Jan 18, 2009 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

milkpowder

Headphoneus Supremus
Let's start with the bad
tongue.gif
I've used my Storm (.78) for a day already and here's what I would like seen improved in the future:

1a. Better internet browsing experience
- smoother scrolling/panning
- quicker rendering of websites, particularly when panning/scrolling through them after they're loaded
- faster/better support for complicated javascripts
- faster visual response (eg glowing keys, etc) when typing. I find the animation often lags behind my typing even though the strokes register fine on the screen. This appears to be a problem only found when browsing the web.
- more visual acknowledgment for on-screen/imbedded buttons in websites. A lot of the time, I don't know whether my finger is over a button until I see the status bar pop up. This results in multiple clicks and the ones 'off-target' end up zooming in the screen further, which is a minor annoyance.

1b. leading on from better support for scripts, which I think is an important area needing a lot of additional work:
- Posting on forums with the Storm is a very laborious task. The position of the text box on the screen is never optimal. It's either too zoomed in, or not magnified enough. It would be nice for there to be a default text box magnification like found on the iPhone Safari browser. I have also discovered that the text does not wrap when posting in the "quick-post"/"fast reply" boxes at the bottom of the screen.
- There is also poor support for the scripts found on forums. I frequent boards which use vbulletin and using any of the more advanced buttons (eg edit, multi-quote, quick post, etc) is quite a chore. Once you've typed up your message inside the quick-post box and pressed on the "post quick reply" button, the browser does not automatically refresh with your "quick post" as it does on a computer browser.

2. Ability to select multiple files and move them to other folders.

3. Options for even more aggressive font smoothing.

4. Clearer indication of volume.
- No volume scale/meter pops up when you adjust it. That I find rather strange.

5. More precise recognition of touch input. The iPhones seems to do a great job at estimating where you've touched the screen. The Storm doesn't get it right all the time.

6. Reception, reception, reception. It fluctuates a lot, which is rather odd. I would go from full 3G reception to half GPRS, then back up again. The reception indoors is a bit poor, but I have to admit there are no issues with reception outdoors.

7. Better applications
- Why didn't we get the iPhone Facebook application?! It is quite a bit better, more user friendly and let's you do far more than the BB one!
- The Flickr app is, again, weak at best. It'll let you upload, but not view recent activity, contacts' uploads, etc...
- a BB dictionary? where did that go?! It would be nice to see one.
- They gotta put in a better calculator than the one included. Make full use of the 600MHz+
wink.gif

8. Better email support, specifically Gmail, which I use most (please excuse me if the perceived shortcomings are due to my own ignorance!)
- Having been an iPhone 3G user for a few months, I would like to see a better integration with Gmail, Yahoo Mail, etc... There is no facility for me to view folders I have created in the above internet mail services. I don't think you can file away (eg Gmail term = archive) messages into folders either. Also, the changes (read/unread status) I have made on my phone are not reflected online.
- Threaded messaging. This would seem rather easy to add.

9. More language support
- Especially oriental/eastern languages! They can't even be decoded.

10. A better bundled case

- I think most Storm owners will agree with me about the absolutely dreadful case. It's hard, and apparently destructive too
biggrin.gif

11. Give us more volume!

- The headphone-out is so weak it's incredible! I'm guessing this is because of EU regulations. I'm listening using my HE60 and the SRM-006t needs to be nearly max to get around 80-90dB.

Some good things:
Even though I have many complaints, this phone is still an absolutely joy to use.

I. The phone dictionary is very complete. Suretype is splendid. It is rather intelligent and has pretty much every single word you will ever use (including financial/medical ones should you choose to install the additional packages). I have yet to figure out how to add custom words to my dictionary, or does the phone do it automatically?

II. Battery life hasn't been an issue so far. I used it for about an hour today mainly to surf the internet, receive/send emails (3G, lots of typing). Battery ran down by a quarter. The screen was on full brightness. This is similar to what I get out of the iPhone 3G battery and maybe just a tad worse.

III. The screen! Even though it technically only displays 65K colours (or 16-bits in total), images and video look great. It's not as nice as the Bold's screen which as higher pixel density, but it still beats the "older generation", eg iPhone 3G, Omnia. Of course, the newer generation of phones will have even nicer screens eg 5800
tongue.gif

IV. Headphone out
- No hiss, decent sound. It doesn't sound distorted or muffled. Maybe a tad too polite-sounding. Could use a bit more treble sparkle and upper midrange to lift the veil.

V. Decent media support
- Copy tracks/files directly to phone or onto a microSD and things just work. All the cover art, tagging is detected. The media interfaces are also user friendly. If you touch and hold your finger over an artists name for a couple of seconds, the Storm will find all the tracks on your phone by the same artist. The same works for titles, album names and even in the email application (sender, subject, etc)! Most common media files are supported, which is an added plus.

VI. Generally smooth running interface and good physical build
- I may have been fortunate, but my Storm runs pretty quickly. I have not had to do a battery pull yet and the interface just works as it should. There may be that rare occasion where I have to press a button again, but other than that, nothing in particular to poke at. The build quality is pretty good. Battery cover seems a little haphazardly attached, but it definitely stays on! The whole screen clicks, though I wonder how long it will stay that way!
- The interface itself is pretty well put together. The BB button has conveniently placed options. Screen transitions look slick and classy.
- It's still not as easy to use as something like the iPhone, but it's somewhere in the middle between Windows Mobile and Apple, whilst retaining the sophistication (and inevitably some of the complexity) of Windows Mobile.

VII. Short learning curve
- I reckon most will be able to use 90% of the Storm's function after a day of playing around with it. There are a lot of shortcuts, gestures and it will also take time to rearrange the menus, adjust settings to your liking.

I haven't really tested the camera, but no, my D300 isn't going to lose sleep over it
biggrin.gif
I didn't get the phone for its camera, but it exhibits none of the lag that I've read about. Image quality is what you would expect from a minuscule sensor packing 3.2MP. Can't do 8fps though
tongue.gif

So how is the phone for a chap like me? Me = someone who is not doing business, does not need support for super-secure, enterprise email, but likes all the bells and whistles of a fully-fledged multimedia powerphone. The iPhone has a better browser that's more mature and easier to use. The applications for the iPhone seem to be much better made, more accessible, and there are more of them out there too. The two interfaces are comparable, each having something the other doesn't. For me, the iPhone 3G may still be marginally superior. The Storm is still in its first iteration, and the firmware is, well let's just say, in its infancy. I wouldn't be surprised if the Storm becomes every bit as good, if not better than the iPhone for your typical tech-savvy teenager/young-adult. Better official firmware should be just around the corner.

************************************************** ************************************************** ***********************

20/3/2009 UPDATE:
Currently on .113 "official-leaked" firmware. Much better. Still some areas to improve on, but pretty satisfying to use. Screen transitions are quicker, camera works more smoothly, browser renders pages in less time, etc...

Camera is actually pretty good. Used carefully, it can deliver very sharp results (see picture 1). I'm also running a 3rd party theme which is pretty good (see picture 2). It's a little better than AppleBerry Glass v1.1 which I've also used.

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 25
Nice write up. I played with the Storm (Verizon) for a little the other day and the OS seemed a little laggy. It looked really nice, though and the haptic feedback was interesting. As of now, I'm not too keen on touchscreens but I'm sure that will change as technology progresses.

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 25
Thanks. You know what, the display Storm at my local Vodafone store doesn't even work. It's permanently frozen. I initially thought they put out a dummy because the image on the screen was almost too nice
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 25
i've heard there's a new 3rd party browser coming out... i think it's called "Bolt"... supposed to be quicker.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #6 of 25
The Bolt is nice. I also use Opera Mini. The all have their goods and bads. So far the Bolt is doing the job for me. The screen is not always as responsive as it should be. it sometimes stops working for a few seconds. Hopefully it will be fixed in soon to be released software updates. The lack of available apps is killing me. I need a good ereader (such as Mobipocket) but none are available yet. overall however, I am very happy with my Storm. I agree that the key entry should be better. I find the popping letters in the iPhone better than the glow in the storm keyboard, which is obscured by your typing finger. Would I buy it again? You bet! When the iPhone came out it also had a lot of quirks which eventually got fixed. That is what we get for being first.

Jan 19, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #7 of 25
I just downloaded Opera Mini. It's brilliant, loads pages much faster than the Blackberry browser and also has much smoother scrolling eg. There's no loading blank bits of the screen. It does however have it's own set of 'problems' mainly because it isn't optimised for the Storm:
1. Does not respect touch = highlight, press/click = select.
2. I am not able to log in to Head-fi
frown.gif
-> some problem with scripts?

Overall, Opera Mini is more pleasant experience.

Jan 20, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #8 of 25
I upgraded to beat OS last night 0.87. Did a JL_Cmder wipe then put on the firmware. It didn't quite work perfectly the first time: I was missing BIS. I immediately did another wipe, reinstalled BB Desktop Manager w/o auto-update and installed 0.87 again. Now, BIS is back and I'm a happy man again.

There wasn't much wrong with my previous version (.78) but .87 definitely seems a little smoother around the edges. The internet browser handles websites better and isn't as jittery as before. I almost prefer it over Opera Mini, which still has some glaring problems re: scripts.

One problem I've encountered, which I also noticed with .78 is an error whilst playing music. For one reason or another, the music decoder crashes. A battery pull is needed. I have a feeling it might be due to corrupt AAC/MP4 files, rather than an inherent problem with the decoder. Errors must've been introduced when I was converting from ALAC on my laptop.

I noticed .88 was leaked yesterday, but some people are complaining of charging problems...

Jan 21, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #9 of 25
My biggest complaint about the Storm is with stability of the OS. With .75 it was crashing at least once a day and sometimes that was overnight so my alarm did not go off. With .86 its better but still crashes every now and then. And there is the "media card inserted" issue where I have to remove the battery and memory, restart and insert memory. That comes up about half the time it crashes. I also dislike the copy and paste which is near impossible to use without a mouse pointer to select text. Its missing alot of polish the iPhone has but I'll never go back to at&t ws.

Jan 21, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #10 of 25
When did you get yours? It seems like Blackberry has some quality control issues. The Verizon 9530 also seems to have less stable firmware than the Vodafone 9500s. The latest leaked 9500 firmware, .87, is absolutely fabulous (no crashes, decent battery life, responsive accelerometer, good signal, etc). It really has brought the Storm close to what it would've been like at launch back in Novemeber 08. The later production models have less problems too. I have never had the "media card inserted" issue though... I know many have.

Yes, the copy and paste function is not brilliant simply due to the incompetence of the touch screen (software). I'm sure they can improve on this with firmware updates.

Jan 22, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nghiasays /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got it Dec 5th. .90 was just leaked and hopefully it fixes some of the issues I have with the phone.

Thanks for the heads-up. I am going to check it out. People have speculated that .90 will be released as "official".

Installing .90 now. I'm overjoyed to see Chinese input/display support for both simplified and traditional characters. I'm hoping it is as good as the iPhone's.

EDIT: it's so sluggish with Chinese language support I'm not sure whether I'm going to keep it. It takes ages to switch between input modes
frown.gif
I'll have to figure out something.

EDIT2: what a difference. I removed all Chinese input support and the phone is running much quicker. I also had issues with logging into the Facebook app, typing, slow interface, etc which seem to have all disappeared. I went from 28MB free RAM to 44.4MB. Much smoother.

EDIT3: The browser isn't any faster, but I can say it's now easier to type in text boxes, whether it is to log in or to post on forums. Buttons are easier to press and the response is marginally quicker.

EDIT4: Test edit using storm. Screen animation still lags behind my typing. Posting isn't any easier than before. There's sTill a lot of scrolling around to do and the text does not wrap within the screen, which makes going back and editing your misTakes and absolute shag!
General scrolling through websites seems to be much quicker actually. I think it is fair to day I won't be posting from the storm unless I absolutely need to. Spell check is very effective though.

Jan 23, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #13 of 25
No crashes so far with .90 but now the camera won't save picutres every other time I take one. It just skips over the save screen. But overall faster. I also just downloaded bolt and it really shows you how fast the storm should be for rendering pages. BB's browser is terrible.

Jan 23, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #14 of 25
Mine has crashed twice on .90, both times from playing music files. It seems like the Storm has an insanely low tolerance for encoding errors OR the music decoders are just a little unstable. I'm going to reupload music and try again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back