Some Dj Headphone with the quality
Jun 14, 2012 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

gr4v1ty

New Head-Fier
Well yeah the title says it pretty much what I'm searching for!

I've looked around the forum and I've seen thes headphones that seemed interesting 
Sony xb 700
M50
Shure 550DJ
Gemini DJX-05
STEEZ 808 (Pioneer)
Shure SRH750DJ
Pioneer HDJ500
Behringer HPX6000 
Ultrasone DJ1 / Pro
V-Moda Crossfade LP
V-Moda V-80  
Technics RPDH1200
Sony MDR-V700DJ
Dn HP700
Koss Pro DJ100

As you cann se i've done my research and read a little bit on every HP, but still I can't decice myself! What do you guys suggest? What do you know abouth those headphones? Which one should I eliminate and why? Got any favorite ones? Let your passion for audio/music rise in here and I'll be happy to read everything you guys write me! Suggested reviews, sites and all this is accepted :)

What do I want you might ask me?
Price range : Up to 150$, but more around 100
Sound quality : Good in general, I'm not pro enough to tell you what I really want. But I'll try. Good bass, and a clear sound. The best sound quality for the price
Look : Dj-Look preferably, but no necessary! If there's better sound with "normal looking" HP, then I'll consider it
Portable, is a plus
Being able to isolate sound not completly, but just enough
I prefer over-ear more than on-ear. I guess it's better sound isolating over-ear
Comfortable since I'll be mixing for more than 30 minutes...
“closed-back”? Necessary, I don't understand what is this really

Thank you!

Jun 14, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 21
Consider adding the Koss Pro DJ100 to your list. They are an astonishing value and sound way better than their price point.

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 21
Sony xb 700- Not portable at all, not suitable for DJ'ing at all. Not durable, nice for home listening though.
M50-Quite nice, I'd say they'd be a great DJ can.
Shure 550DJ-Cant say, Haven't used them.
Gemini DJX-05-No experience with these
STEEZ 808 (Pioneer)-These are nice, they seem portable. Though I doubt you could dj well with them. They might be a little too bassy.
Shure SRH750DJ-Can't say
Pioneer HDJ500-Great portables I'd say. Though a bit too bright for me. Could do better for the price.
Behringer HPX6000-A bit of brand bias, but behringer really is a pretty terrible brand. Though, I have not tried these. So I can't say.
Ultrasone DJ1 / Pro-I've heard that these are very similar to the HFI-580. If so, a good choice.
V-Moda Crossfade LP-These trade off remarkable sound quality for excellent construction and aesthetics. Though, are not horrible if you can get them for cheap used.
V-Moda V-80-Tyll at Innerfidelity recommended these for DJ'ing actually. And they seem very portable. So I'd say try em out.
Technics RPDH1200-Haven't used these.
Sony MDR-V700DJ-Ah, these. They are very prone to breaking. And many fakes exist. They also are quite uncomfortable. I found them somewhat boomy.

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 21
Add also Denon DN-HP700 to the list, unusually great SQ for the price (can be had last time I checked for $100 at amazon), without having tried all those I'd be willing to say it may very well beat those in terms of sound quality for the price as I concider it competing well even with several good 250~$300 or so offerings, it'll at least sound as great as the popular Pioneer HDJ-2000 headphones that many pro DJs use. It's more on-ear than over-the ear though unless you have tiny ears but clamping is lightweight, isolation is decent/fairly good.

For a DJ headphone it's slightly on the bass light side, similar to M50 or so, the M50 have a bit stronger subbass but the HP700 has slightly more tight punchy bass. What it doesn't offer you in bass quantity, it offers some stunning forward midrange with great microdetail and transparency and well balanced highs that are just ever so slightly emphasized beyond what I'd call neutral (something quite similar to Denon D2000 or a little less) so there's a bit sparkle but not too much and won't cause sibilance issues in general, it's like none is missing in the frequency response, everything sounds up-front. Soundstage is also suprisingly large and positioning is great too, they worked very well for gaming. :) The only real minus to me is that the bass rolls-off a bit too early for my liking, you get a nice amount of punchy midbass but the subbass is a bit quieter in comparision.

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #6 of 21
For DJing I typically use a pair of Sennheiser HD428's, though I guess they've been replaced by HD429, looks pretty much the same.  I'm usually spinning classic rock, metal and old country.  They're rather clear, and the bass is very adequate, as Sennheiser products tend to be.  The DJ both I typically occupy is in an odd location in the room, and is more or less a bass trap (I've had problems with the needles picking up the bass from the subwoofers, causing feedback which puts the sub amp into overload) and I've never had trouble hearing the record I'm cuing up.  They're also $80.  

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:
For DJing I typically use a pair of Sennheiser HD428's, though I guess they've been replaced by HD429, looks pretty much the same.  I'm usually spinning classic rock, metal and old country.  They're rather clear, and the bass is very adequate, as Sennheiser products tend to be.  The DJ both I typically occupy is in an odd location in the room, and is more or less a bass trap (I've had problems with the needles picking up the bass from the subwoofers, causing feedback which puts the sub amp into overload) and I've never had trouble hearing the record I'm cuing up.  They're also $80.  

The 428's are very nice, not too great at isolating, however. Though can be had for $30 refurbed off ebay, which is an an absolute steal. 

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:
The 428's are very nice, not too great at isolating, however. Though can be had for $30 refurbed off ebay, which is an an absolute steal. 

Dag, that is a good deal.  Truth on the isolation, I just don't sweat it while djing, but I guess if you want isolation definitely go with something else.

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #9 of 21
I'm pretttty interested by the dn hp700! I usually mix trance, house and some little dunstep so the only thing I might consider as a turn off is the bass! You said it isn't that present as other headphones? But waht does that mean? Considering the only real headphone I've tried are the beats (yeah I know), and the HDJ over ear coming in white colour and pretty similar to the solo's ( don't know what the number is, but the price range is around 100 too! I think it is the HDJ 500 but I might be wrong too). And what does "the bass rolls off quickly"?

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #10 of 21
The M80 are best on your list. Powerful, punchy bass, good isolation, I find them comfortable though they are on-ear. Great for DJ use. Only issue is they're right at $200, but I'd say the price is proportional to how much better they are.

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:
Being able to isolate sound not completly, but just enough
I prefer over-ear more than on-ear. I guess it's better sound isolating over-ear
“closed-back”? Necessary, I don't understand what is this really

Closed back refers to the cups of the headphone. A closed headphone will typically leak less sound in both ways, isolating yourself and others from what you're listening. Even closed back headphones would often have bass ports or vents, and its sizes will determine if it is still truly a closed back headphone, usually pretty small. The terms open/closed/semi-open are literal.

So for your usage you are indeed looking more into closed headphones.

As for isolation from on-ear (supra-aural) vs. over-ear (circumaural), it also depends on how well the earpads seal around or on your ears, the earpad shape, and its material. I've had on-ears that seal very well, though in general over-ears have a higher likelihood of sealing as far as earpads are concerned. Plush earpads would also help to contour your head and ear shape, making it better at isolation.

M-80's are on-ear as well as the V700DJ (if I remember well), the latter being rather uncomfortable and sounding kind of mediocre. Well, I can't say much for DJing since I don't do that, but it may certainly fit the bill... just beware since these things have a legacy with knock-offs (that some claim to sound better than the real deal). I don't know much about the others so I'll refrain from commenting on those. Not to say that on-ear headphones would be bad for your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back