Some New Sennheiser Phones: The Ninety-Five Line
Aug 6, 2013 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

jant71

Headphoneus Supremus
Some of Sennheiser's new releases include the "95" line. Three phones, the PX 95, PMX 95 and PCX 95. I bought the PCX 95 from Best Buy here in the US for $70. My pair had a problem with the exterior and instead of returning them I contacted Sennheiser through Rosmadi who is a member here on the forum. They wanted to check them out so I sent mine in. They sent me a new pair of PCX's and were nice enough to send me the other two members of the "95" line. Thanks goes out to Rosmadi and Charles from Senn for the service and for the units to review.

I just received them this afternoon...

The PX 95.

The PCX 95

And the PMX95.

To introduce them, the "95" line are three phones that share styling cues, improved ergonomics, and are voiced similarly yet come in three different types or styles depending on the users choice or needs. One in-ear behind the neck style; Senn's first of this type in the PCX 95, an on ear behind the neck style, the PMX 95, and an on ear over the head style in the PX 95.

The new styling cues include bronze metallic accents, S logo inserts on the plugs, machined look S logo inserts on the housings and metallic speckled paint look trim pieces on or over the housings. I will photograph those for my next post that will include my sound impressions when I have put them through their paces and gotten to know them better.

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 64
PICTURES

PX 95

PMX 95 rotated up

PMX 95 rotated down

The PCX 95

The new plug

SPECS:

PX/PMX 95:
Price: Currently US$69.99(PMX) and $59.99(PX)
Design: Open supra-aural
F.R: 15 - 27,000 Hz
SPL: 114 dB
Impedance: 32 Ohm

PCX 95:
Price: Currently US$69.99
Design: Neckband style ear canal headphone
F.R: 17 - 22,500 Hz
SPL: 115 dB
Impedance: 32 Ohm

NICE TOUCHES:
These phones were re-designed over previous releases and well thought out. Re-designed low profile RA plug. Low friction cabling. Improved ear tips for the canal phones. New pads for the headphones which get larger to the outside possibly to help with leakage and wind noise. The dual entry PX 95 has a small, thin, non-snagging Y and includes a chin slider. All phones have good R/L markings even the single entry are labelled with the L or raised dots or both. The Braille three dots for "L" is used instead of the typical one raised dot. Hologram squares on the inside of the plugs to help prevent fakes as well as another on the boxes plus serial, reference, and ID nos. The PX model now pivots like the bigger brother PX's and the PMX drivers now rotate so they can be placed for optimal fit and sound. The aesthetics are also changed, but being subjective, how good they look is up to individual taste.

BUILD QUALITY
The build quality on these phones is quite good. Well above average and they all have the Sennheiser two year warranty. I am happy with the build quality.

The PX 95 has 1/4" x 1mm thick hardened metal headband that is very solid looking and feeling. The arms that the headband run through are thick plastic with metal caps on either end. The headband slides up and down through the arms with solid metallic clicks. The ball joints the drivers pivot on are tight and don't move on their own.

The PMX 95 has a fairly stiff and thick headband that looks nice and beefy. The hinge the drivers rotate on is fairly thick and sturdy looking.

Both phones have quality foam pads with a nice look and feel. A bit scratchy and firm at first but seemingly breaking in well with some use.

The PCX 95 has a very bendable headband to fit better and isn't stiff and it should hold up well since it will just bend and flex as needed. The housings are plastic and designed for lightness. The only average thing in the series as far as build quality. The sound tubes are sturdy though and they have the air pressure channel in them to avoid any driver flex(there is none). There are new tips which are fine build quality-wise. Worth mentioning is the material is changed from previous phones and they sound great to my ears. Previous models tips went in the drawer but these sound as good on the PCX as any I have in my whole kit. I even used a pair on my VSD1.

All the phones have the plug pictured above which is thick and sturdy yet still flexible in bending. All the strain reliefs are well done. They all have the same cable which is glossy and low friction and neither thick or thin. It lays out well, resists tangles, and has a good sheath. A nice cable all around; handsome, behaves, and is sturdy. Used before, the cable is already well liked and proven to hold up.

SOUND
PCX95 which was given around 100 hours of use. My best preferred tip is the CLR 100 medium tips. These tips simulate amping slightly by tightening up the sound a bit and accentuating the sub-bass a bit lower. The sacrifice to the stock tips though is some stage height from top to bottom and a bit of air or space between things. Basic point being, IME, firmer tips seem a bit better on these and other CX phones.

A quick term to describe the signature would be boosted balance. Balanced but somewhat boosted bass, brighter boosted treble, and still the mids are clean, clear and either even or slightly forward in the mix. This depends on the fit which due to the size and squared corners of the secondary back housing which tries to prevent a deeper insertion. If you can go a bit deeper the mids will not be out in front as the extra iso seals in a bit more bass and treble. The stage is nicely tall and wide and gives better depth than previous Senn models. It does sit you up fairly close, about 3 rows back, which adds to it's energetic nature. The PVX 95 is not very laid back. It is front and center and trying to grab your attention/show things off.

I can give an idea of the sig by comparing to two phones, the VSD1(which I sold after comparing to the PCX 95) and the IE7. The PCX 95 isn't far off from the VSD1 basic signature but then add a bit of bass extension and a smidge more treble extension. Then make the VSD1 livelier and have better dynamics throughout the range. Cut the mid bass somewhat as well. Or conversely, put a blanket over the PCX from the mid-bass up through the treble and it is nearly the VSD1(both with a shallow fit). The best part of the PCX sound is the midbass suckout. A well done slight and wide suckout. We have seen it before in the IE7 which quite a few people liked better than the IE8 because of the same lowered mid-bass. Difference here is the PCX may have slightly less treble extension, slightly less overall stage width but better depth than the IE7. The dynamics unamped are better so the "boring" factor of the IE7 is gone. The mids are clearer and show more detail and emotion than either of the other two. Also, the treble tone was a bit off in the IE7 and it is more natural in the PCX 95.

So, the PCX 95 is an energetic phone from top to bottom that has some of the best mids under $100. The Senn trend continues. While this driver has been used a while in the earlier high CX models the mids were only pretty good and usually "V" in the mix except for the 985 which improved the mids quality and brought them nearly close to even(even with the right tips). So the "balls to the wall" bass and treble of previous models is tempered and the mids are almost the star of the show. The lowered mid bass seems to help clear the mids as well as do a stellar job on the bass. The low bass is separated out, the emphasis is mostly on the lowest bass which has longer decay that fills out kick drums nicely. Mid - upper bass notes come from there own space and have there own tone and a tight quick snap and more energy. Quite far from one-note bass, especially for $70. The magic of the mid bass continues with separating out guitars, piano, lower vocals etc. and giving them aggression, energy, and/or emotion that other phones don't. The mids are extremely clean, lively, airy, and capable of resolving out vocals, back-ups, and emotion and making them easy to hear. Back to the VSD1, their mids are darker, less resolving, less lively, less emotive, and further back. Similar going up to the treble, where the VSD1 is less energetic, less bright, and a bit less clear. Previous Senn models where quite bright up top and peaky which was not good. Scary for some to think the PCX 95 treble is quite brighter, a bit sharper, and again livelier than the VSD1 but it is less peaky then earlier Senns. The treble is brighter than the IE7 as well. It is more up front and present and articulate like a higher level phone but not that extended as an XBA-40 or TF10 etc. An excellent comparison would be the Sony EX600 treble. Close to that reach and presence.

The EX 600 is also a great mention. If you take the presentations(size and space), extension, and overall detail level they are very close. Just substitute up front and more aggressive in place of the more romantic Sony sound. If you can imagine the EX600 angry :D you can get some idea of what the PCX 95 is about. They take you to a fun and exciting place and I find them giving my older, played too many times tunes some new life!

PX/PMX95 are nearly the same. They do differ slightly in sound since the PMX fits with less clamp and the driver is angled while the PX fit tighter and flat to the ear.

The PX95 has the same specs and visual appearance of the PX100-II but is not the slightly U shaped sound with boosted mid-upper bass and boosted treble. The same extension is there. The same overall stage size is there. The PX95 are just more controlled in the bass and treble departments with more forward mids and cleaner vocals. Better balance and slightly warm throughout the bass range. Just the right amount for a portable phone to counteract external noise that cancels bass frequencies so they are satisfying yet not boosted or bloated at all. Then, in quieter surroundings, they are a bit warmer and thicker but still quite nicely controlled and fall short of the negative aspects of the PX90 and PX100-II. None of the PX90's lacking dynamics and sparkle nor the 100-II's peaky treble or excessive mid-bass. The result is nice dynamics, more space between notes esp. on the bass side, forward mids that are cleaner and well separated, and treble that is smooth and happily balanced between the muted PX90 and boosted PX100-II. Less compressed sounding than both. Noticeable but not a huge difference of course. Totally over the PX90 which is just too hard to drive that is sounds underpowered. Less compressed in the Bass and mids vs. the PX100-II where the boosted treble tries to help on that end and does to an extent(behaved better with more power). The better balance lets a nice amount of detail and texture to come through. The tone and timbre is still the Senn sound if you are familiar with it. A bit darker in tone than the PCX in-ears. Timbre is good to distinguish between instruments including lower and higher bass notes but all instruments still have that hint of darker tone to them. Still a fairly natural and realistic sounding phone with natural decay and transients. They will always impart that Senn tone though but the the difference now is that it is not the "Senn veil" due to cleaner, more capable mids and less boosted/more controlled bass.

The PMX95 due to it's fit being more off the ear give just what you would expect when a driver is moved away slightly. More bass escapes and the sound is slighter more spaced out and it goes slightly more towards the neutral side. If you want slightly more balance and a slightly more open sound these are the one to get provided you are okay with the behind the neck form.

I think these two small headphones are the best I've heard and they are worth their price. For $60 you might want them to through in a carry pouch or have the ability to fold up but for sound they did better then I thought they would do. After my past purchase of the PX90 I saw the new line and I purchased the PCX as I didn't trust the other two. Luckily, I was able to get the other two for review and am happy to say I was wrong to have dismissed them!

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 64
Just out of curiosity, have you heard the Senn PMX-90's? If so, I'd be interested in knowing if these are better, and if they sound Sennheiser-y. And if they need an equal amount of time to stop sounding metallic, which was definitely a thing with the 90's.

Also really looking forward to some pictures of the PMX-95's, they looked really weird in some photos I've seen previously.

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 64
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, have you heard the Senn PMX-90's? If so, I'd be interested in knowing if these are better, and if they sound Sennheiser-y. And if they need an equal amount of time to stop sounding metallic, which was definitely a thing with the 90's.

Also really looking forward to some pictures of the PMX-95's, they looked really weird in some photos I've seen previously.

I had the PX90. I already think these are better on most fronts, especially the sound. They sound Senn but new Senn. No veil, better mids. A ways to go before they are run in but not as dark, more detailed, easier to drive, and better mids than my recollection of the PX/PMX 90 driver. I have heard a few songs have a metallic tinge to the cymbals but not like the 90. This is occasionally noticeable not pervasive and time will tell when it will subside with burn in. 

Aug 8, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #5 of 64
Updated the second post with some pictures of the headphones.

Still burning these in but at this point I feel the two headphones are what I was hoping the PX90 would be. The true in-between of the PX100-II and PX-200II. Unless it changes with run-in, these are right in between. Add the extra bass and treble of the 100-II to the subdued bass and treble of the 200-II and you would get the nicely balanced PX 95 and PMX 95. The first thought that occurs to me is that some people might just like these the best in the same way the AKG K420 is liked over the 430 and 450. Having had those three phones, I did like the K420(actually the K422 w/foams pads put back on) the best. I have had the four Senns. 100-II on loan from Joker, bought the 200-II and the PX90. Throw in the PMX60 as well. I do like the style and light weights(71 grams PX 95 and 54 grams PMX 95) the best and the signature is what I want.

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 64
Thanks man, I've been updating this post all day hoping for some pictures!

Though I have to say I'm quite disappointed in how these look. Black plastic and what appears to be some fabric out of an old pair of sweatpants? Or at least that's what it looks like. Why couldn't they make them look classy and downplayed like the 90's..

Then again, there isn't much competition in the neckband-market, so I guess I'm going to have to buy these anyway. Lost my 90's a couple of weeks ago in a tragic cord-stepping accident, and I've really had it with earphones.

Couple of quick ones though: How's the comfort, especially on the PMX's? Any pressure on your ear, or that part of your head right behind your ears? Do they stay in place properly or fiddle about? And is the cord your typical Sennheiser-cord, meaning FAR too fragile, and either 50 meters long or barely long enough to go from your ear to your pocket? I know you already touched some of these in your OP, just looking for clarification!

Anyway thanks mate!

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 64
To me they are a bit higher end looking than the PX 90 was. The non-pivoting arms were kinda cheap headphone looking. The machined look plastic wasn't fooling anyone into thinking it was metal and the chrome ring around the edge is done way too much these days. I think the chrome ring was shinier than anything the new ones have as they are darker and more subtle looking. That, I believe is acoustical fabric on the back and looks similar to the wall panels you might see in some classrooms/auditoriums. It may have some effect on the treble if you took it off. There are holes underneath like the previous model.

Since you can adjust them they can fit looser or tighter for both comfort and stability as well as to obtain the best sound. I find the comfort fine. Maybe better than the PX 95 since the drivers are off the ear more keeping them feeling a bit cooler on hot days. Haven't worn them long term but no discomfort and nice stability.

The cable is standard 1.2M. Thicker than the PX 90's was and a much better plug. Joker finds the cable"excellent" and I have always liked this this cable from the other models I've had with it. Better than the PMX60 or the PX90.

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 64
So, on purpose, I am staggering the burn in on these. Shows the headphones do improve with some hours as a day extra on the PMX 95 puts them quite a bit better sounding than before and ahead of the PX 95. Just more open and greater clarity. More details and delicacy now. The mids have cleared up some and they are clearly up with the PX-200-II for the best mids I've heard in an ultra-portable phone!

Very well separated and clean with a lively sound. Nothing is really in focus more than anything else which is what I have been hearing in the latest Senn phones. The bass driven or bass and treble boosted phones are what they were putting out before. The great mids on the PX200-II was the anomaly. These phones have all three; excellent mids, well done but not too boosted bass, and lively treble that is just as much of the focus as the other two. Not the fairly lackluster treble of the previous PX 90. Bells sound right, piano sounds right, guitars sound right, bass is strongest and has the longest decay down low while higher up has a quicker snap. The only niggle I have at this point is the cymbals can be a bit splashy since the decay is a bit long in that area of the spectrum. Again, bells, triangles, and such sound fine, just cymbals hold longer. Not that it is bad. Cymbals sound fairly detailed and realistic they just don't fade as quick. I don't like or dislike it but it makes itself known. Kinda makes for a live sound and balances with the kick drum decay nicely. Kinda fun. Also sticks out since everything else is spot on in that regard.

Might change with more run in as it is about thirty-five hours which isn't that much. Mainly the point is to use these cans a bit since they will blossom, or for a better term, come alive with some time on them.

In short, before I was liking the signature of the phones but the performance was still in doubt. Now I am happy on both fronts and quite sure these will be right at the top of favorites list. Back to the burn in :)

Aug 10, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #9 of 64
Thanks for the in-depth impressions and pics. I still have my first generation PX100 from way back when, but I'm finding them a bit too dark and dull when compared to newer Sennheisers. I've been wanting another open portable but, for some reason, I never pulled the trigger on the PX90. The PX95 (and the PMX95) interest me a bit more, so hopefully I'll get my hands on these eventually, especially if your impressions continue to be favorable.

I just have one quick question: are these easier to drive than the PX90? I think that may be one of the reasons why I didn't get the PX90.

EDIT: Oops! I see you already answered that question. Good to know the 95s are easier to drive!

Aug 10, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #11 of 64
Quote:
Thanks for the in-depth impressions and pics. I still have my first generation PX100 from way back when, but I'm finding them a bit too dark and dull when compared to newer Sennheisers. I've been wanting another open portable but, for some reason, I never pulled the trigger on the PX90. The PX95 (and the PMX95) interest me a bit more, so hopefully I'll get my hands on these eventually, especially if your impressions continue to be favorable.

I just have one quick question: are these easier to drive than the PX90? I think that may be one of the reasons why I didn't get the PX90.

EDIT: Oops! I see you already answered that question. Good to know the 95s are easier to drive!

The sensitivity is up to 114 dB from the 90's 108 dB. The F.R. is 15 - 27,000 Hz bettering the PX 90/PMX90's 20 - 20,000 Hz. Five notches less on the volume on my Sony player. The optimized for portable seems very true for the cans as amping improves most everything I have but not the PX/PMX. The dynamics are hurt when amped. The PCX do improve when amped.

Not that I have the rest of my pics taken or ready to finish the second post yet but I'll drop another impression tidbit. The "RICH CLARITY" tagline on the box is very apt. Used to be Senn was more vague or outright wrong with some of their taglines. The PX/PMX might be the clearest ultras I have heard and they are still rich with some good detail and texture and some warmth. Phones like the K430 are clear cause they are spread out, thin, and even cold sounding. The PX100-II had too much midbass and the mids clarity was just pretty good. These are doing clear across the spectrum the right way like a proper, more expensive can does.

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #12 of 64
Interesting that the specs are the same as PX100-II. I wonder if they used the same or similar drivers and tuned them for a less bassy and clearer sound. I was hesitant about the PX100-II due to the descriptions of their midbass, but these PX95s seem to be closer to what I'm looking for.

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #13 of 64
Updated post #2 with a couple of new pics and sections.

Also used my PMX 95 at the park for the first time yesterday and it was a rousing success. The cable was good and stayed unobtrusive. The PMX was comfortable and very stable even when shooting hoops. The sound was big and open. Rich and grand so that passing cars, the bouncing ball, etc. were made easily ignorable background sounds. Of course no cable noise or bone conduction with open headphones. The clarity and transparency was very good letting me get more immersed and enhancing the exercise experience. They really fit in almost seamlessly. 

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #14 of 64
Thanks for this thread mate, ordered the PMX-95's two days ago. Seems like they will take at least a month to arrive, so ordered some beyer DTX 300p's to keep me entertained until they arrive.

Looking forward to it though!

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #15 of 64
I am sure you'll be happy with them. Except for the waiting for them to come part:) I have quite a few different players and they work well with them all. 

Then you'll have an overhead pair and a neckband pair. Pretty sure you can swap the pads and try that out. Might be fun to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back