some nice cheap rca plugs?
Feb 15, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #2 of 9
I use these currently
Neutrik RCA Gold Plated
They are durable and have good solder points. Easy to work with and have a decent internal strain relief (plus they come with a spring strain relief for two sizes of cables). They are color coded, and look nicer than the photos.

Though maybe not as extravagant as the ones you've mentioned, they work great and certainly satisfy your price requirement.

Feb 15, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't wanna spend more than $20 for a set of 4. I've been looking at these Furutech FP162 and these http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/connectors.html (scroll about halfway down the page to Connex 68139)

anyone had experience with these or have other suggestions?

On the same PartsConnex page the Cardas GRMO and AGMO are excellent value performance parts. Unfortunately, because of increases to commodity prices their price has been pushed above your max figure!

The Connex 68139 looks like a great Clone of the old locking WBT connector with Teflon insulators! Possible replacement for the Dayton RCAGS-LK Locking RCA which was recommended for a number of famous DIY Cable recipes.

If you need to order some cable also (like Canare/Mogami StarQaud) try another of my favorites these very good Neutrik NF2CB locking RCA's. They are also offered on the same PartsConnex page for nearly double the price!

I don't have anything to say on the Furutech FP162 other than it is cheap, uses Teflon and no magnetic parts. All good stuff. But may not hold up well if you are going to be pulling it on and off. Its awful inexpensive.

Feb 15, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by 04BluMach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Connex 68139 looks like a great Clone of the old locking WBT connector with Teflon insulators! Possible replacement for the Dayton RCAGS-LK Locking RCA which was recommended for a number of famous DIY Cable recipes.

hmm I was wondering about what they meant by locking. Do they require some special type of jack or how do they lock? I think you may be referring to the two above the one i was talking about tho, the 53455 or 53454 (the descriptions are above the pics...again pCx's site sucks) The only reaston I wasn't considering those was b/c the descriptions don't say they have teflon insulation. Guess I'll call pCx tom and find out
Quote:

If you need to order some cable also (like Canare/Mogami StarQaud) try another of my favorites these very good Neutrik NF2CB locking RCA's. They are also offered on the same PartsConnex page for nearly double the price!

ya I'm still trying to decide whether to get that too or see if I can buy some cable (along with shielding & techflex) from this local guy I know who has the most insanely awesome stereo setup I've ever heard...he writes for enjoythemusic.com and has huge spools of cable, shield, teflon wrap and techflex.
Quote:

I don't have anything to say on the Furutech FP162 other than it is cheap, uses Teflon and no magnetic parts. All good stuff. But may not hold up well if you are going to be pulling it on and off. Its awful inexpensive.

that price is each, not per pair so a set of 4 would end up costing about what 4 of the connex 53455 would cost. What part of it do you mean may not hold up, the contact plating?

Feb 15, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm I was wondering about what they meant by locking. Do they require some special type of jack or how do they lock? I think you may be referring to the two above the one i was talking about tho, the 53455 or 53454 (the descriptions are above the pics...again pCx's site sucks) The only reaston I wasn't considering those was b/c the descriptions don't say they have teflon insulation. Guess I'll call pCx tom and find out
ya I'm still trying to decide whether to get that too or see if I can buy some cable (along with shielding & techflex) from this local guy I know who has the most insanely awesome stereo setup I've ever heard...he writes for enjoythemusic.com and has huge spools of cable, shield, teflon wrap and techflex.
that price is each, not per pair so a set of 4 would end up costing about what 4 of the connex 53455 would cost. What part of it do you mean may not hold up, the contact plating?

Interesting that three posts in a row Id'd the Neutrik Pro-Fi's. They really are a very good connector. Well made, sound good, reasonable in price, and they hold up very well. Also, they are locking connectors that clamp securely onto the RCA Jacks. Sounds like they are a winner to meet your price target.

The locking mechanisms are actuated by twisting the rear outer shell which has the outer plug pressure clamp down around the Jack to give a solid connection with the jack surface. That can be an advantage if you are going to pull them on and off. They will loosen up to pull-off/put-on without severly scrapping the jack surface. Then they can be securely clamped onto the jacks when put on fully. They will allow adjustment of the clamping force over time if they loosen up - regular plugs don't have adjustemnt of their clamping force if they loosen up over time... For high quality plugs that isn't really a problem.

Or just wait till your Enjoy the Music reviewer friend throws out his big buck discards.... LOL

Feb 15, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #8 of 9
The profis aren't the locking rcas, they're the ones with the spring loaded ground. I HATE locking rcas. I've had connectors ripped from components because of locking rcas.

Feb 15, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #9 of 9
I'll chime in for the Neutrik NYS373 RCAs. They are a nice RCA and come with 2 sizes of spring reliefs as well. I've used their locking RCAs as well which are pretty nice. The only thing I don't like about them - and it is a minor point - is that they use a colored rubber jacket to denote L/R. Every time I screw or unscrew the locking mechanism, that rubber jacket moves and can make it a bit of a pain to use.

I find the NYS373s are nice and tight and therefore I use them primarily when building cables requiring RCA terminations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back