Some People Are Destined To Sing
Feb 16, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #46 of 71
Hi Mike - I just discovered your Fatou videos today, and wanted to convey my thanks for bringing this wonderful feeling into my morning!  I listened to these as I worked and was greatly moved.  I wish her album wasn't so expensive on Amazon, but it was worth every penny.

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #47 of 71
It's great to see African music and artists get some love on these pages. I'm tickled to report that some moons back, I attended a show - Ouma Sangare at the University of Southern California, and she was sweet enough to allow me to sit front/center. 
wink.gif

More tickling than that, before the commercial internet, I use to fax my orders to Stern's Music - London; N.Y. for my African music fix!

Feb 22, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #48 of 71

Didn't have much of a clue about African music until now. Thanks for the inspiration. It sounds beautiful. I'm going on a hunt for albums by Fatoumata Diawara now.

Quote:
Wow! this is great. I ordered her CD from Amazon.UK. While looking for information about her home country Mali, I found this site with music videos of other Maliens. http://www.musicvideos.the-real-africa.com/mali/

That's also a super useful link. Thanks for posting. A new era has begun (in terms of my musical education :wink: )

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #49 of 71

Quote:
It's great to see African music and artists get some love on these pages. I'm tickled to report that some moons back, I attended a show - Ouma Sangare at the University of Southern California, and she was sweet enough to allow me to sit front/center. 
wink.gif

More tickling than that, before the commercial internet, I use to fax my orders to Stern's Music - London; N.Y. for my African music fix!

I can't believe you were front and center! But I really can't believe you used to fax your orders in to Sterns. For anyone who doesn't catch the gravity of this - we have a real MUSIC LOVER here. Let's take a minute to pay respect to the Silent One! Headphones off.

Speaking of Sterns - did anyone order this box set? It was on my wish list but it was just a bit out of my price range when it dropped. I'd love to hear the communities thoughts on it? I've been drooling over it ever since.....

http://www.sternsmusic.com/disk_info.php?id=3218462

Mar 1, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #53 of 71

Clearly I have to learn how to post pics/links here.  This is the second time I've made what looks like an empty post.

(sigh) Anyway, jist of it is a documentary about KarKar titled 'I'll Sing for You' on Netflix.  Great exposure to yet another amazing Malian artist.

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #55 of 71
Well, apparently all my post-grad and professional degrees can't help me with uploading pictures or links into my posts, so I'll just type and y'all can look it up old-school.  Last night, I was browsing Netflix and ran across a film I'd started watching there months ago but forgot about in the hustle and bustle of life in general.  It's a documentary about Malian blues artist Boubacar "KarKar" Traoré and it is called "I'll Sing for You".  Audio quality is pretty good so you can just listen to it, but the subtitles translate the lyrics and conversation well and it was a nicely done film.  Makes me all the more eager to receive the boxed set of African music Mike mentioned above!

Mar 8, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #56 of 71

Quote:
I can't believe you were front and center! But I really can't believe you used to fax your orders in to Sterns. For anyone who doesn't catch the gravity of this - we have a real MUSIC LOVER here. Let's take a minute to pay respect to the Silent One! Headphones off.

Speaking of Sterns - did anyone order this box set? It was on my wish list but it was just a bit out of my price range when it dropped. I'd love to hear the communities thoughts on it? I've been drooling over it ever since.....

Well, it came earlier this week and I'm only a couple discs into it, but it is amazing!  18 discs with about 10 tracks each.  They are broken down by region: North, South, Central, East.... etc.  with three discs per region.  I don't think any artist is repeated, so that's over 180 different artists you get to sample, and their musical styles range from blues to jazz to rock to what you probably expect from African world music.  It's a great exposure and even though I just barely started to dive into it, I can definitely say it was worth the Benjamin!

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #57 of 71
First posted in this topic 1/29. Been listening to this album almost everyday since then, started on some Fostex T50RPs and now playing it on some LCD-2s with the Lyr.

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #59 of 71

Quote:
Well, it came earlier this week and I'm only a couple discs into it, but it is amazing!  18 discs with about 10 tracks each.  They are broken down by region: North, South, Central, East.... etc.  with three discs per region.  I don't think any artist is repeated, so that's over 180 different artists you get to sample, and their musical styles range from blues to jazz to rock to what you probably expect from African world music.  It's a great exposure and even though I just barely started to dive into it, I can definitely say it was worth the Benjamin!

smiley_thumb.gif
 Outstanding, TigreNegrito! 180+ artists... ooh... 
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #60 of 71

Quote:

Thanks for the kind words. You know what I find amazing though, is that looking up a CD, calling or faxing Stern's/London and having the package "Aired" was really no slower than today's Internet shopping. It was fast! The only difference is cost - I paid a bit of a premium (understatement). 

Thanks for high-lighting the collection. I had become so fixed on upgrading gear the last two years, I'd completely gone without buying the music I love! Not forgotten... just broke! 
biggrin.gif
 Now that you've brought this body of work to all of our attention, I'm going to work on securing it right away.

Do I really need a few more bottles of Veuve Clicquot in April/May? 
rolleyes.gif
 The verdict is in! This Spring, it shall be AFRICA|50 Years Of Music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back