Some questions about audio interfaces
Jun 16, 2018 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Level_Zer0

New Head-Fier
Ques 1: I'm currently using a pair of JBL LSR305 with my pc.
It's connected with the motherboard 3.5 mm output. The mobo is Asus ROG Strix z370f.
Will getting a dedicated external DAC improve the sound quality by much?

Ques2: i'm about to get an audio interface so that i can plug in my guitar to the pc for using with Guitar Rig 5.
As far as i know, audio interfaces also have built in DACs?are those better than the on board sound cards of motherboards?
I have a budget of about 100 $ for that. which audio interface would be better in this range? M-audio/ Focusrite Solo/ Presonus?

Ques3: Does balanced/ unbalanced Inputs matter much in this case? Cable run distance is pretty short.

P.S. i'm quite noob when comes to audio stuff,so any advice would be much appreciated.

Jun 16, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 10
No one really bothers directly comparing a motherboard's on-board audio, with other motherboard's on-board audio (nothing printed on-line.)
But there are motherboard' that come with on-board audio like your (ACL1220) and use that audio processor to also provide the DAC function (most motherboards).
And there are higher end motherboard that come with ALC1220, but also come with an add-on DAC chip (for even better audio quality).
(you motherboard does not have any add-on DAC chips).

For a $100 Audio Interface, you would at least eliminate any computer noise (in the audio), that might be generated inside the computer case.
But i would not expect any worthwhile improvement in over all audio quality (but maybe at least a little).

Balanced cables cost a bit more then un-balanced cables, so figure that in your audio budget.
(check out Monoprice for cables)
With a $100 budget, I really doubt going balanced will make a noticeable improvement (but if you want to try it, that's cool).

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 10
I don't think $100 can get any piece of balanced equipment other than cables. :no_mouth:

Jun 17, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #5 of 10
Hi Level_Zero,

If you're more concerned with connecting your guitar & or any other music equipment, eg microphone, for potential recording or playback purposes, computer audio interfaces are the way to go as through the USB connection, they plug in directly to a PC.
Also, all computer interfaces have built in digital signal processing (DSP) which was the original precursor to DACs which are basically Digital to Analogue Signal Converters (which generally only make your audio signal digital so your computer can understand it as an input), hence the acronym.
In truth, most computer audio interfaces do more for your sound in general than most DACs as aside from the recording functionality already mentioned, the DSP will output any signal to a minimum of 44.1 khz which is above CD quality, all the way up to 192 khz as standard.
What's important to note, your sound source, be it music or otherwise, has to be good (at least CD quality) as no amount of signal processing through a DAC alone will make your sound better, in fact, if your source is terrible, it will make it sound even worse.

Regarding the Scarlett Solo or 2i2, depends what you mean by better, as essentially, they are the same internally, the only difference is physical spec is the 2i2 has 2 mic inputs vs solo's 1 mic input, hence the name.

Jun 17, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #6 of 10
Hi Level_Zero,

If you're more concerned with connecting your guitar & or any other music equipment, eg microphone, for potential recording or playback purposes, computer audio interfaces are the way to go as through the USB connection, they plug in directly to a PC.
Also, all computer interfaces have built in digital signal processing (DSP) which was the original precursor to DACs which are basically Digital to Analogue Signal Converters (which generally only make your audio signal digital so your computer can understand it as an input), hence the acronym.
In truth, most computer audio interfaces do more for your sound in general than most DACs as aside from the recording functionality already mentioned, the DSP will output any signal to a minimum of 44.1 khz which is above CD quality, all the way up to 192 khz as standard.
What's important to note, your sound source, be it music or otherwise, has to be good (at least CD quality) as no amount of signal processing through a DAC alone will make your sound better, in fact, if your source is terrible, it will make it sound even worse.

Regarding the Scarlett Solo or 2i2, depends what you mean by better, as essentially, they are the same internally, the only difference is physical spec is the 2i2 has 2 mic inputs vs solo's 1 mic input, hence the name.
Better as in in terms of the quality of the output.

Jun 17, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #7 of 10
Better as in in terms of the quality of the output.
For a $100 budget, I doubt it makes any noticeable difference in audio quality, with whatever brand or model of Audio Interface you get.
Maybe on eBay you can find a used Audio Interface

Jun 17, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #8 of 10
For a $100 budget, I doubt it makes any noticeable difference in audio quality, with whatever brand or model of Audio Interface you get.
Maybe on eBay you can find a used Audio Interface
Now that's some conflicting information from different sources, some saying there will be NOTICEABLE difference in quality and some saying there will be none :/

Jun 21, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #9 of 10
Level_Zero,

As stated, regarding the quality output, there is none between the Solo or 2i2 as the only difference is in the input with one having more than the other.
The only way you will be able to tell if there is a noticable difference in sound quality is if you demo things yourself then judge from there, that is the only true way to know whether you will be satisfied or not.
If there is a pro audio shop near you, I suggest you go there & test out some interfaces.

Jun 23, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #10 of 10
Now that's some conflicting information from different sources, some saying there will be NOTICEABLE difference in quality and some saying there will be none :/
I'm guessing for a $100 price range, it's not about audio quality, more like useable features that you see on the outside of the Audio Interface, that make the difference.
Maybe you should be asking these questions on websites more dedicated to an Audio Interface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back