Some thoughts of n3ultra
Apr 8, 2024 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Brandfuchs

100+ Head-Fier
I was actually wondering if this was the right board to post reviews, I was supposed to write this on the Head Gear board, but found that n3ultra hadn't been added yet (still under construction maybe:wrench::wrench:?)

So the thing is, I took the gap of the pass-in-an-instant weekend to attend the Shanghai Headphone Expo last week (was supposed to post this over the weekend but for some reason I didn't make it). Considering that the Canjam Singapore ended just a couple of days ago, it might be a good time to post this for me and those who have tried n3ultra to share their thoughts!

Back to the topic, while there in Shnghai Expo, I had the chance to try the N3Ultra by Cayin. The Cayin booth was quite popular, with a considerable number of people lining up.
20240409112624.jpg
Seeing such a long queue, I decided to explore the other exhibits first before circling back to try Cayins’, I gotta say Final’s D8000 Pro and D7000, as well as the new Th808 from Fostex are fairly interesting! As a Fostex fan I think I like every bit of TH808 except the pricing...
20240409112338.jpg
I'd like to talk alot about 808 buuuuuut considering that this is thread for the N3U, it seems a bit off-topic to continue discussing these stuffs....

Since I hadn't actually bought it yet and had only listened to it briefly, I can't really boast much detailed specs because I don't know 'em as well… so I’ll just talk a bit about ‘how does it sounds’ to me.
The N3U is default set to the Classic timbre, which delivers a unique characteristic of vacuum tubes. Its sound is spacious and full-bodied, with a sense of airiness that enriches string instruments. In simple terms, it sounds very "Cayin," reminiscent of the familiar feeling you can find on the N8. The overall tone is warm, but the resolution is still good, without the overly warm and blurry style often associated with tube stereotypes. In addition to Classic, there is also a Modern mode under the tube setting. In my opinion, this mode has a brighter sound compare to Classic mode, with a more cohesive and clean sound profile. The extension and linearity at both end (bass and highs) is stronger compared to the warm and mellow Classic mode, making them complementary. I then switched to the transistor mode, and to be honest, as a desktop system user, I prefer this mode haha, because it sounds more like a "desktop system": it has even better resolution and dynamic, with powerful and impactful bass when listening to pop music. However, don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that transistor mode is an overkill to the rests. Both the tube and transistor modes have their own characteristics. When listening to anime tracks, I would go for the tube mode without hesitation for its unique and characterful vocal "flavouring".

005ZNHLNly1hobo61wwt5j34o0340qva.jpg
20240409113527.jpg

20240409113532.jpg

Two tubes on the side really light up like two little bulbs, kinda cool

Furthermore, they claimed to have solved the microphone effect of the vacuum tubes. To test this, I deliberately listened to music while tapping the screen and the side where the vacuum tubes were located, of course, without damaging the player (btw since I’m not Hulk🧌:muscle::muscle:, I don't think I can really destroy a player with but just a finger lolz). Interestingly, I didn't hear any noise indeed. Just as I was about to increase the intensity of my tapping, I realised that if I don’t stop, it wouldn't be the N3U that would be hit, but me haha:deadhorse:.

Anyway, considering that the tuning is indeed quite characteristic as interesting, and the price sounds affordable to me, I'd probably buy one for the further tapping test haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back