Some thoughts on AKG K812 pro
Feb 25, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #17 of 51
I love my AKG K812 (it's my favourite all rounder) - IMHO, it has always been underrated and simply loves good amplification. Bass is NOT emphasised and it is tonally pretty much neutral. The top end is a LITTLE more spicy than it should be, with the accent on slightly. Don't choose this if you don't want to annoy your significant other, however - there is no attenuation of sound either into or out of. There's always the closed back K872 for that.
It has a great soundstage too.
To anybody who has the $$$, I'd suggest buy 'em while you can.
Totally agree. The headphone deserve more attention being essentially the last flagship coming from one of the "great threes", and it combines the greats from the K6xx and K7xx families without obvious letdowns (unless one dislike the AKG house sound).

Feb 26, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #19 of 51
I wonder how will they compare with the cheaper Sony MV1.
I've tried it at a Sony dealer. Although the setup isn't ideal (not my system + not songs that I usually listen to), but I would still prefer K812 (heck I'll probably even prefer the K702). Part of this is because I really like most AKG's more thin and lightweight neutral sound though, so it's nothing against the MV1 (I've heard lots of good words about the MV1, it's just not my cup of tea).

Mar 4, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #21 of 51
I think I've gone certifiably insane, as I've just ordered a second AKG K812, but new this time from Amazon. I love this headphone so much that I wanted a brand new one and at the Amazon price (AUS$1546), I could no longer resist. It's such a superbly made TOTL headphone that responds very well to EQ.

Mar 4, 2024 at 4:02 AM Post #22 of 51
I think I've gone certifiably insane, as I've just ordered a second AKG K812, but new this time from Amazon. I love this headphone so much that I wanted a brand new one and at the Amazon price (AUS$1546), I could no longer resist. It's such a superbly made TOTL headphone that responds very well to EQ.
I was thinking to do the same but I don't use EQ. Are you going to use the stock cable or you have a better one ?

Mar 4, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #23 of 51
I was thinking to do the same but I don't use EQ. Are you going to use the stock cable or you have a better one ?
I do have an Arctic Cables basic version, but the stock cable transfers less noise when contacting my shirt when listening. This seems to be related to the corrugated fabric outer surface of the Arctic Cable. The stock cable seems to be an excellent cable anyway, despite all the hoo-ha about how terrible it is. I don't believe that soundwise there is any difference between the two otherwise.

Mar 4, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #24 of 51
I do have an Arctic Cables basic version, but the stock cable transfers less noise when contacting my shirt when listening. This seems to be related to the corrugated fabric outer surface of the Arctic Cable. The stock cable seems to be an excellent cable anyway, despite all the hoo-ha about how terrible it is. I don't believe that soundwise there is any difference between the two otherwise.
Have you heard the K872 and if so how they compare? I haven't heard any yet apart from the K702 that I really liked for the price.

Mar 4, 2024 at 11:20 PM Post #25 of 51
Have you heard the K872 and if so how they compare? I haven't heard any yet apart from the K702 that I really liked for the price.
Simple answer - No. Calling @Rob80b

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #27 of 51
Have you heard the K872 and if so how they compare?

Simple answer - No. Calling @Rob80b
Just seeing this, I never had them both at the same time but from (fallible) memory and not to go into the overall sound signature which can be found here, https://www.head-fi.org/threads/akg-k812-pro.685339/... they are IMHO very similar. For a closed back AKG managed to maintain most of the K812 attributes although the K872 is slightly more forgiving with a bit more body, bass.
What I appreciate with both is that they put me in the studio, I always feel there is less of a barrier, almost like getting a live feed sent to the headphones, other studio headphone monitors like the Neumann NDH30 for example or Beyerdynamic DT1990 I would assume are more akin to listening to a pair of near-field speakers.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #29 of 51
Nothing insane at all, about having a backup of the best flagship of all time from the big 3. It’s as good and in some ways better than many headphones at over twice its retail price.

Mar 24, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #30 of 51
I gave my son-in-law the old K812 and stand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back