Something More Fun Coming From H660s
Feb 20, 2022 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

CooperLikesMusic

New Head-Fier
I've been using the HD660s for more than a year, and I want something a little more interesting.

I bought the Meze 99 Classics, and honestly they had too much bass, and weren't super comfortable. I got headaches while using them. Definitely too much bass- I'm still interested in a nice closed back.

I would really like to try something that has a more fun, somewhat more bassy signature. I listen to mostly rap and hip hop.
I was looking into the DT 1990's, but they do seem very similar to the HD660s's, so I'm not sure how much of an improvement they will be.

I'm also wondering how the HD660s's compare to "AEON OPEN X"?

I have the JDS Element 2, so resistance isn't really an issue.
Budget hopefully $300-600 range.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #2 of 10
DT1990 is more neutral and has bigger soundstage than HD660, but only a little more bass.
DT1770 Pro might be worth a try.

It's still considered a 'basshead' headphone, but without the insane high/mid-bass of the Meze 99 Classics.
The DT1770 is more focused on sub-bass emphasis.

Feb 20, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 10
I like the DT 1770 as well, I think it is a good all around set of closed cans not just for bassheads.

For your genres you might really like Drop/Fostex TR-X00, especially Ebony if you can get them. But any wood is good with these, they're fun, impactful, and very fast.

Feb 20, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #4 of 10
DT1990 is more neutral and has bigger soundstage than HD660, but only a little more bass.
DT1770 Pro might be worth a try.

It's still considered a 'basshead' headphone, but without the insane high/mid-bass of the Meze 99 Classics.
The DT1770 is more focused on sub-bass emphasis.
Thanks for the suggestion! The 1770 Pro does seem super interesting, and yeah the insane high and mids of the classics was physically painful haha.

Thank you!

Feb 20, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #5 of 10
I like the DT 1770 as well, I think it is a good all around set of closed cans not just for bassheads.

For your genres you might really like Drop/Fostex TR-X00, especially Ebony if you can get them. But any wood is good with these, they're fun, impactful, and very fast.
Thanks for the suggestion! The TR-X00 look a little tricky to find, but also look super interesting.

Feb 20, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for the suggestion! The TR-X00 look a little tricky to find, but also look super interesting.
Drop used to have an EU shop 2 years ago. We still paid much more for the same stuff you guys get for cheap but they cancelled the EU shop so I can't buy stuff from them anymore and anyway not everything was offered. If you check the site and "request" the item sometimes they do another run.

Feb 20, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #7 of 10
Drop used to have an EU shop 2 years ago. We still paid much more for the same stuff you guys get for cheap but they cancelled the EU shop so I can't buy stuff from them anymore and anyway not everything was offered. If you check the site and "request" the item sometimes they do another run.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the advice- I will definitely keep my eyes open for that.

Feb 20, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #8 of 10
May the cans be with you :)

Feb 21, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #9 of 10
The Quad Era-1 may be just what you're looking for. If you are okay with a closed back, the E-mu Teak might be a good choice. If you like the sound from the 660s, but want something a little more fun and engaging, these would both be good options to research imo.

Feb 21, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #10 of 10
I'd go for the Elex - a whole lot of fun to listen to with great dynamics, fast detailed transducers, great imaging and bass.

As far as the sound you get for cost the Elex do fantastic. Elex is extremely engaging.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back