Something wrong with me? I don't like the HE-400
Jan 22, 2013 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ematthews

100+ Head-Fier
Long story short. I owned the Senn HD650 for a while and was looking for a more clear sound. Went through a few phones and ended up with the Grado PS500 last week. These things are amazing and a keeper. I returned the Senn's to Amazon and purchased the Hifiman HE-400. Got them today and they don't sound good to me. Tried them through different sources as well. The Bellari amp drives them well. To me they are much more clear then the Senn HD650. Not as exciting as the Grado's. In fact the Grado's are more clear and have better bass impact... These HE-400's almost sound too thin. The mids seem very recessed which may have something to do with it.. Just don't know about these..Not a good sound to me.
 Anyone else not care for these headphones out there?
Would the HE-500 be a better sound. Better mids and fuller sound?
I think i will send them back and get my Grail headphone. Beyerdynamic T1's
Thoughts?

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 10
Yep. I have been switching back and fourth now for a little while and prefer the PS500 over the Hifiman by a long shot... Its also so much lighter as well.. That's a plus in my book...

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 10
That might be true. As of now I liked the Senn HD650 better than these. Truth be told, the Beyer T90 was the best I have listed to right behind the PS500. 
Not sure I want to even give these that much time. Like I said, something just doesn't do it for me... I also just tried the Velour pads without much improvement either..Oh well...That's what makes this hobby fun.

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
I'm with you on this.  It may be our physiology.  I'm a big fan of Grados and Senns, but Hifiman cans have never sounded good to me.  They just sound flat and thin, like you said.

Good to know I am not crazy. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back