Sony CD3000 Thread
Aug 13, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #212 of 451

What amp are you using that you have hiss issues with the ZX700?

I am not, I simply have a CD3000 in the mail basically and planning out my mods and pricing things out like a menu of sorts. I was thinking it potentially may be an issue between my Geek Pulse X Infinity to use the CD3000's so might want to try changing the impedance while I get them recabled.

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #213 of 451
  I am not, I simply have a CD3000 in the mail basically and planning out my mods and pricing things out like a menu of sorts. I was thinking it potentially may be an issue between my Geek Pulse X Infinity to use the CD3000's so might want to try changing the impedance while I get them recabled.

Then CD3000 is fine as it is unless the Geek can't drive 32 ohms correctly.  Sony headphones are sensitive and can be driven loud on weak amps but they sound much better with real power.

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #214 of 451
  Then CD3000 is fine as it is unless the Geek can't drive 32 ohms correctly.  Sony headphones are sensitive and can be driven loud on weak amps but they sound much better with real power.

The Geek Pulse X Infinity probably is fine, I was more fishing for information as I know these are uncommon headphones these days and it might take a while to get an answer

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #215 of 451

What material are you using? were you able to find the exact type that is in the guide? I am not sure if my pair will need cleaning and what did you use as a suction?

Hi. For lack of skill and confidence in the outcome I didn't go past step 8. From there on I'd need someone to do it for me.

You can be pretty sure that the drivers need cleaning. Through the years the foam has kind of melted on and in to them. If I remember correctly it was only fingerwork, some damp cleaning towels and for the detailed work I very carefully used a needle. No suction.

Aug 14, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #216 of 451

Hi. For lack of skill and confidence in the outcome I didn't go past step 8. From there on I'd need someone to do it for me.

You can be pretty sure that the drivers need cleaning. Through the years the foam has kind of melted on and in to them. If I remember correctly it was only fingerwork, some damp cleaning towels and for the detailed work I very carefully used a needle. No suction.

Thanks. but what about replacing the thin sheet that melted onto the driver cover? What is a viable replacement? I do not think tissues are a good solution for longevity

EDIT: can you estimate how long that cleaning process took you?

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #217 of 451
Agreed on the tissues. Not my thing either. Have no plan yet but if I'm going to do it myself it's something like Sennheiser HD540 foams for around the driver and something like these for over. The HD540 foams are too thick to also use for over the drivers which need only about 3 mm. I'll cut a hole in them and voila. There are lots of foam options and doesn't have to cost much.

The cleaning I did was pretty thorough and took around 15 to 20 minutes per driver? Look shiny new now like in the guide.

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #218 of 451
  Agreed on the tissues. Not my thing either. Have no plan yet but if I'm going to do it myself it's something like Sennheiser HD540 foams for around the driver and something like these for over. The HD540 foams are too thick to also use for over the drivers which need only about 3 mm. I'll cut a hole in them and voila. There are lots of foam options and doesn't have to cost much.

The cleaning I did was pretty thorough and took around 15 to 20 minutes per driver? Look shiny new now like in the guide.

Thanks for the help. I am excited as I am likely having Moon Audio recable my headphones, so I am gonna clean the drivers before I send them in and when they return it shall be all ready to go.

BTW, I have heard that reterminating the headphones with two cables (one per cup) instead of entering on one side, greatly improves the capabilities of these headphones. That is what I will be having done to mine.

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #219 of 451

BTW, what about the Urethane rings? Aren't they used to keep the foam cover in place? I was thinking some 1/6" foam tape like such:
http://amzn.com/B00TYZTFTE

Just cut it into strips and use accordingly. Do you have a better suggestion? 

What did you use to clean? a rubbing alcohol wipe?

Aug 14, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #220 of 451
Hey kenman, 

At first glance the Amazon tape looks like the perfect material. Much better than my idea of cutting the HD540 foam as a replacement for the urethane. As a matter of fact I'm not sure anymore if the thinner Koss foam for over the drivers is a good option. I forgot the drivers are angled! See, this is why I should have someone do it for me :) This type of material, more cloth-like may be better suited for over the drivers. What do you think?

Yeah, just any ordinary damp kitchen wipe should do the trick.

Aug 14, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #221 of 451
  Hey kenman, 

At first glance the Amazon tape looks like the perfect material. Much better than my idea of cutting the HD540 foam as a replacement for the urethane. As a matter of fact I'm not sure anymore if the thinner Koss foam for over the drivers is a good option. I forgot the drivers are angled! See, this is why I should have someone do it for me :) This type of material, more cloth-like may be better suited for over the drivers. What do you think?

Yeah, just any ordinary damp kitchen wipe should do the trick.

the foam I was showing you (the tape) is for the urethane ring, not the foam over the driver. I think we should connect over email and help each other overcome some of the difficulties we face. It would be nice to have someone to go through the process with

Aug 17, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #223 of 451
So, the foam over the driver is my most essential missing component that I have a need to acquire. I have most of the other items I need from the CD850 I have and some of the rest of the items are not essential for the time being. I want to have the foam over the driver cleaned and replaced during the recabling. Should I go with that HD540 foam? Or is there something better?

Aug 24, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #224 of 451
Small update for people.

I have found a person that is going to be repairing the headband with real leather. This should turn out quite nice. Project timeline might be a little thrown off though, but otherwise all is looking well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back