Sony CD3000 Thread
Mar 19, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #422 of 451
The one I know of is in North Carolina, USA.

Sep 20, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #423 of 451
I didn't compare the CD3000 with real leather ear pads against CD3000 with plastic replacement ear pads, nor with original pleather ear pads. I'll try to compare them when I have some free time.
What I can say right now is that real leather ear pads are comfortable and much softer that the plastic replacement ear pads you can find on ebay, but you can wear both of them for long hours without any problem. And real leather ear pads seem to be as much as soft as the original ear pads.
Regarding the improvement of bass, I need to check, I wouldn't say something wrong to you.

I finally got around to getting and putting the replacement leather pads on the CD3000 a few days back. The replacement pads are a bit smaller in both general size and ear opening so putting them on was a big pain and I didn't do it completely perfectly. Still I don't think there is much change in the sound (at least it isn't enough where I wouldn't quickly dismiss it as another factor).

The pads were exactly how you described them (except I guess this set was a bit on the small side) and they might be even more comfortable long term as they almost as soft as the originals and are firmer which makes my ears not be so close/touch the drivers as much.

Unfortunately I took a look at myself with the phones on to check out the new pad spacing and almost threw them in the trash right then... how can something that sounds so good be so ugly especially when worn lol?

I still can't talk up the CD3000 enough it has remained my favorite over direct comparison with some notable phones:

FOCAL Utopia: already discussed before

GRADO hp 1000 HP1: the CD3000 probably only falls behind this in terms of impact (HP1 either hits as hard/harder compared to every other phone I've heard) but in everything else the CD3000 was better

SONY mdr R10: the only phone I have heard with a better midrange and similar soundstage but the CD3000 has flat out better bass impact and seems to have slightly better treble extension as well which makes me prefer it over the R10 for most of the stuff I listen to

SONY mdr SA5000: don't think anything else I've heard has more detail in the highs and the clarity is on par with STAX but the CD3000 had better bass and better soundstage and most importantly quite a bit better midrange cause the SA5000 is probably the weirdest phone I ever heard at least on my first impression because it was so bright and the midrange sounded so weird at least initially (I acclimated to it after a bit and it got a bit better)

SONY mdr Z7: the smooth sound and big soundstage somewhat reminded me of the CD3000 but it was just too dark and bassy of a sound signature and the CD3000 midrange was quite a bit better than the recessed Z7 midrange

STAX sr 009S: the CD3000 might fall a bit behind on clarity and separation and detail mostly in the subbass but maybe also the slightest bit in the highs because of how balanced the 009S is and how quick the electrostatic decay is (balanced frequency response and quick decay with low distortion is probably what makes a headphone sound "detailed" throughout and the 009S is tough to beat in all those areas) but the CD3000 just has a better midrange and better bass impact

STAX sr Ω: just got this phone so I'm still figuring out my impressions it seems to be another one that has this larger than life soundstage but otherwise it seems pretty similar to the 009S just a bit darker

Other phones have more balanced frequency response or better bass or better treble or better decay or better imaging but midrange must be most important to me (the R10 actually has the slightly better midrange but nothing really put it all together like the CD3000) and its soundstage also closely matches or exceeds everything I've heard so far (let's see with the omega). Plus the CD3000 has a bit of this echoey sound that shows up sometimes that just sounds so good on some stuff (try the Eagles - Doolin Dalton).

FOCAL is gone.

GRADO has been boxed up forever and is pending sale.

The other SONY flagships have also gone (I would love to at least hear the QUALIA and Z1R though but they probably would also go shortly after).

Still deciding on if I ever keep one STAX longterm but leaning towards no.

The R10 can stay but it mostly sits in its case anyway.

With these new pads I will continue giving my CD3000 good use without worrying about black dandruff. I would buy another one in a heartbeat if I could find a brand new one (mine was so mint it must have been barely used to begin with because it flaked literally as soon as I took it out lol)

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #425 of 451
I'm looking for a complete pair that includes the outer cardboard shipping box also. Would like something in mint condition (leather aside since I can have it re-done if necessary)

Will pay well, PM me

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #426 of 451
Does anyone have their cd3k changed into balanced cable? I'm looking to get mine done, preferably similar to z1r - detachable cable. I will greatly appreciate any recommendation for anyone who can do this mod.

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #427 of 451
Does anyone have their cd3k changed into balanced cable? I'm looking to get mine done, preferably similar to z1r - detachable cable. I will greatly appreciate any recommendation for anyone who can do this mod.
Shouldn't be too hard to do. Put SMA Connectors on mine about fifteen years ago.
20200730_210117.jpg

Oct 18, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #429 of 451
hi, I need some instructions about how to dismanteling the CD3000. I hope anybody could help me because I don't know how to start with. Thanks in advance.

I'm also looking for some help. I've got a pair and getting pads was easy enough. However, the headband is pretty worn and the elastics in the headband are loose. I've looked everywhere, but haven't found good instructions on fixing the headband.

Jan 1, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #431 of 451
Hello everyone! I successfully purchased a pair of CD3000's in decent conditon for a very good price. Pads and headband leather needs to be replaced but that's ok. However my main concern is that the right driver distorts a lot when a song with heavy bass is played, unless I turn the volume way way down. I tried to take off the pads to see if something was stuck in there but that was a huge disaster as the black foam inside was completely disintegrated so my hands got full of sticky foam which is basically black paint and it was very hard to remove. I wanted to disassemble the cups to maybe blow on the driver? But since I saw how much of a big mess it was inside I ended up putting back the old pads and using them like that. What should I do? I really like them but I that buzzing when a bass note plays is quite annoying, as it limits the kind of music I can listen to.
Thanks

Jan 1, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #432 of 451
Have you remove the ear pad to look at the driver? Could just be a piece of foam that got stuck between the grill and the driver.

Jan 2, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #434 of 451
Have you remove the ear pad to look at the driver? Could just be a piece of foam that got stuck between the grill and the driver.
Well you need to disassemble the entire cup to look at the driver, which is what I tried to do but as I said it's such a big mess inside that I stopped. What's the chances of the driver being actually broken?

Jan 2, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #435 of 451
Hello everyone! I successfully purchased a pair of CD3000's in decent conditon for a very good price. Pads and headband leather needs to be replaced but that's ok. However my main concern is that the right driver distorts a lot when a song with heavy bass is played, unless I turn the volume way way down. I tried to take off the pads to see if something was stuck in there but that was a huge disaster as the black foam inside was completely disintegrated so my hands got full of sticky foam which is basically black paint and it was very hard to remove. I wanted to disassemble the cups to maybe blow on the driver? But since I saw how much of a big mess it was inside I ended up putting back the old pads and using them like that. What should I do? I really like them but I that buzzing when a bass note plays is quite annoying, as it limits the kind of music I can listen to.
Thanks

Had the same problem with my CD3000, also bought used. Seems you have one with original or old pads on it. I remember the sticky black foam, it was all over the place and of course one of the drivers was ringing. However the foam is easy to remove, you just have to disassemble/unscrew the cups so you have a look at the drivers. There should also be a protective grill over the drivers (if I remember correctly) so it should be safe (still try to be careful when you open the cups). I put a vacuum cleaner over the drivers and got all the dirt out.
After that test your CD3000 with https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php and see if everything sounds ok, especially low frequencies. Even if there is no dirt visible it could be a small hair or dust, just try to clean it again. Good luck and congratulations for having a CD3000 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back