Sony d-121?
Jul 29, 2001 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

coolvij

Board geriatric
I have this old Discman laying around. It's been used less than 50 hours, i'm pretty sure. I sorta like the old-style looks to the current batch of Sony's...

I wanted to know what the specs and sound quality were on the unit (Sony D-121 discman). I'll be using the unit's lineout mostly, in conjunction with an amp and some Senns...

Thanx in advance,

- coolvij :>)

Jul 30, 2001 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 17
C'mon, peeps. Does ANYONE know ANYTHING about this model?

Jul 30, 2001 at 4:20 PM Post #3 of 17
All I know is, that this was made in 1993 (bought mine in December 1993 in any case)... its really sharp sounding... and distorts really easily

It retailed in the UK for about £100... so, I presume that in the USA it was worth about $140 original cost price

Jul 30, 2001 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

its really sharp sounding

- duncan

Do you mean sharp as in bright or piercing, or sharp as in crisp?

Jul 30, 2001 at 6:22 PM Post #5 of 17
Sharp as in bright, teeth shatteringly so

But, saying that... that memory is from like 8 years ago, when I had a non-audiophile head... maybe it sounded really sweet... Just i read into it wrongly

Just to warn you though... at that time... it was very much bottom of the range... so, odds on, I am right on the sharpness

Why don't you fire it up and let us know? the AA rechargeable batteries in there can be replaced no problem with standard AAs??

Jul 30, 2001 at 6:33 PM Post #6 of 17
I knew it was on the bottom-end. And i think it has a 15mw amp - maybe 10mw. I'm not sure - all i kno is that the headphone jack drives my KSC-35 seemingly twice as loud as the jack on my Philips AZ9101.

I didn't find it bright - rather detailed. However, the KSC-35 are somewhat dark...and the soon-to-be-purchased Senn. 495 will be used with an amp out of the line-out...so....maybe bright would be good for me. I've never seen anyone call the 495 bright - i have, OTH, seen ppl refer to the cans as flat, even boring.

To MY ears - it's nice. The D-121 is the best CD player in my house, lol. Then again, i don't exactly have a 777
wink.gif

Jul 30, 2001 at 6:40 PM Post #7 of 17
D-121 ?

Mine is sitting here right beside my computer.

over 7 years old, but still working.

No skip protection of course, but amp is loud.
And it has a line out, not bad for a
bottom-of-the-line model.

Sound?
Hmm, it is bright, but not necessarily bad.
Probably not as good as the Panasonics...

I have a hard time criticizing this baby since it has
served me well in all these years, I mean I got it
for my 16th birthday and it's still working!

Ok, I don't use it very often these days, but still....

Bye

Redwoood

Jul 31, 2001 at 7:28 PM Post #8 of 17
Do you guys think the line-out sounds bright?

Aug 1, 2001 at 5:32 PM Post #9 of 17
My Sony D-E446CK is bright compared to my Panasonic 470 so it is good with my Koss Sportapros that are pretty dark sounding. Not sure how the line out sounds I've only used it for car kit use.

Aug 1, 2001 at 6:46 PM Post #10 of 17
In perfect honesty, as I said above, that reference to the sound quality was made from like 7-8 years ago... it was passed on when I bought my D-243... D-345... D-777

From my very faded memory, the unit sounded almost identical to the Pioneer PD-202 CDP (Which was a very good budget CDP in the early 90s) through my Pioneer A203R amp into Mission 760iSE speakers ... but, I didn't have analytical ears then

Really sorry that I can't be of more help to you

Aug 1, 2001 at 7:29 PM Post #12 of 17
it's ok dunc - just tryin to scrounge for info.

redwood - i'd love that - thanx a lot. However - i think Todd (tyll?) said that the 570 was never supported by headroom cuz they found it to be brighter than the 470.

Has there ever been a dark PCDP? lol....

Aug 1, 2001 at 8:21 PM Post #13 of 17
Well, to my ears the 570 sounds almost exactly like
the 580 (but has better features, build) which
headroom supports on their new site.

IMHO you shouldn't accept recommendations from
headroom as a fact since a) they are relatively subjective
and it's your ears that have to decide and not Todd's
and b) they are a company and as such are obliged to make
profit which can influence their decisions.

Don't get me wrong here. I've heard a lot of good things
about them (haven't ordered from them though - not yet)
and I believe they are honest, but if you have product a
and product b that you both like, but product a has
a better profit margin, which one would you put on
your site?
Well, that's just one way how business can influence
product recommendations...

Bye

Redwoood

Aug 1, 2001 at 10:07 PM Post #14 of 17
I used to have a Panasonic SL-S200 and it was dark sounding. I compared it to my Sony out of the headphone jack and line out and out of both it sounded dark and had bloated bass, more distortion and hiss and less clear highs than the Sony. My new Panasonic doesn't have the distortion or bloated boomy bass but it is darker than the Sony. I still prefer the Sony for most music I listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back