Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Aug 4, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #1,516 of 4,748

Quote:
Bah, this is what turns me off full-size cans. That you need so much more to drive them to 'full potential' or close to it. Going OT here but the W5k is a woody so i would expect some colouration (read rich , lush) as opposed to the A2kx's closed back non woody design.Then there's that whole open /closed - which is better debate. Gah. OK enough OT for me.I really should get some work done. LOL

You don't need an amp to drive the A2kx, as I pointed out I was using a DAP, and I don't think the open/closed debate applies either, since they are both very very open and closed at the same time.

If you need a T1 to be impressed, and have an antipathy to HP's, you might not like them though.  You can stick to IEM's and customs, that's fine with me, I'm just sharing my experiences.

Aug 4, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #1,517 of 4,748
These sonys definitely have improved with a short time of listening. Treble has calmed down and the sound stage has widened with a little more roundedness added, 3d if you will. These are definite keepers. When you other EX owners insert the housing do you insert them at an angle keeping the driver housing closer to your ears? That seems to yield better results for me and it looks much better, still kinda ashamed to wear these out in public lol they look dumb sticking out of the ears but sound exceptional.

They look a look better straight down, but you have to put the chin slider all the way up (or close to it) to keep the ear guides in place. I think wind noise also gets reduced wearing them this way. 

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #1,518 of 4,748
Hey Guys!!!!

I own klipsch x10i and looking to upgrade to these mdr ex1000 which cost £500 from sony.co.uk should I buy it ? and also looking to buy the TTVJ Slim Portable Amp for my ipod classic 160gb would you guys recommend it ? 

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #1,519 of 4,748
Atrocious price at 500 quid - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDREX1000-Monitor-Headphones-Isolation/dp/B004MPQ7Y2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312480562&sr=8-1 I'm sure you can find cheaper option within
UK elsewhere.

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #1,520 of 4,748

Quote:
Hey Guys!!!!

I own klipsch x10i and looking to upgrade to these mdr ex1000 which cost £500 from sony.co.uk should I buy it ? and also looking to buy the TTVJ Slim Portable Amp for my ipod classic 160gb would you guys recommend it ? 

You do know that amazon.co.uk have them in stock for £330 right?

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #1,522 of 4,748
defintely recommended but I recommend getting it from the classifieds section if possible. usually can be found cheaper there plus if you don't like the sound signature it wouldn't be so hard on your wallet. having personally listened to both the x10i and ex1000 myself, i'd say it is a massive upgrade 
wink.gif

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #1,525 of 4,748

Quote:
They look a look better straight down, but you have to put the chin slider all the way up (or close to it) to keep the ear guides in place. I think wind noise also gets reduced wearing them this way. 

The only issue with this is the microphonics and also I think I may have to swap the cables from left to right.

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #1,526 of 4,748
No need for swapping for me, it's just angled a bit differently and I use a shirt clip so it seems your mileage varies there. 

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #1,527 of 4,748
Anyone unsure about the EX1000 should get the EX600 first and see if they like it (who doesn't?) or see if they like the EX600 so much they don't need to go further and get the EX1000.

Personally I don't feel the EX1000 are very portable at the price you pay for them, unless you're one of those people that buys the latest mobile phone and drops in in the toilet at a bar every weekend.

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #1,528 of 4,748
I'm still preferring my re-cabled IE8s thus far over the Sony's, but since getting use to the Sony's sound I have pumped down the mid bass from -2 to -8 lol on my Sflo2 for my IE8s. That's the wonderful thing about the Sony's though, no eq needed, wish Sennheiser got that right, there's honestly no excuse for a mid bass hump of that magnitude.

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #1,529 of 4,748

Quote:
Anyone unsure about the EX1000 should get the EX600 first and see if they like it (who doesn't?) or see if they like the EX600 so much they don't need to go further and get the EX1000.

Personally I don't feel the EX1000 are very portable at the price you pay for them, unless you're one of those people that buys the latest mobile phone and drops in in the toilet at a bar every weekend.

I guess I'm "one of those people".... almost! 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back