Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Jun 3, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #2,641 of 3,229
I owned traillii and aroma jewel,and both were drove with the Orpheus pwa.
I decided to sell all my gear for financial issue and for leave the hobby;too much expensive.
After some months I decided to came back here with this Sony M9,and after many in ear/over ear owned,I understood,for my tastes,that the real driver for enjoy the music it’s the dynamic driver;I strongly remember the jewel and trailli technicality;but the M9 simply is more fun,more adapt for enjoy the music;I really missed this physical drum that can touch your head.
I learned that is not necessary to spend 6000 € for a Stax or 9000 € for a TOTL in ear+cable for listen music at its best condition.
As always,IMHO
However,this M9 is a monster SQ/value.
Amazing
(P.s;and the my M9 it’s drive just by an iPhone 14 pro and a fiio ka2 with phenomenal results)
So you don't own orpheus anymore? would have been interesting to hear some impressions with m9, anyway I can only support what has been written, better to invest on tips, maybe foam if you have these kind of problem, I didn't find any harshness in treble

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #2,642 of 3,229
I decided to sell all my gear for financial issue and for leave the hobby;too much expensive.
After some months I decided to came back here with this Sony M9,and after many in ear/over ear owned,I understood,for my tastes,that the real driver for enjoy the music it’s the dynamic driver;I strongly remember the jewel and trailli technicality;but the M9 simply is more fun,more adapt for enjoy the music;I really missed this physical drum that can touch your head.
I learned that is not necessary to spend 6000 € for a Stax or 9000 € for a TOTL in ear+cable for listen music at its best condition.
As always,IMHO
Amazing
(P.s;and the my M9 it’s drive just by an iPhone 14 pro and a fiio ka2 with phenomenal results)

I heard those multikilobucks IEMs and owned the M9,
Exactly like you said, I prefer M9 than traillii especially when price category is included into deciding factor. Value wise they are crazy. At exact a kilobuck price, they hold up to many kilobucks TOTLs.
The super resolution of multikilobucks TOTLs usually made them derived from naturalness in exchange for super resolution and crispy details.

If you miss the dynamic driver's air moving feeling, maybe you want to switch to Mest MkI or MkII, great technicalities with awesome bass. Tonality like M9 on steroid but tilted to brighter tonality from M9 warmness.

I still think best value and quality you can get in IEM worlds is at $1000-2000.

Jun 5, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #2,643 of 3,229
As always,IMHO
Amazing
Oh I see I see and always good to read words of awerness like yours, I've never owned multikilobucks iems, can't even afford the purchase, but I had various sets from 400 to 1k, and the difference isn't too clear-cut, diminishing returns is a fact, I can only imagine when you still push this towards 3k 4k.
Anyway I find m9 very talented with low freqs to be an all ba, but if you miss the slam from a single d.d. I can only recommend the technics tz700 incredible all rounder, this is the set I look for the most together with sony

Jun 6, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #2,645 of 3,229
Does anyone know if Sony offers out of warranty repair for the M9? Thanks.
From what I read, Sony prefer to replace broken unit under their warranty because its hard to repair the IER unit AFAIK. So I don't think they are open for repair. You may want to try local shop repair service. Sorry to hear that, what happened?

Jun 6, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #2,646 of 3,229
From what I read, Sony prefer to replace broken unit under their warranty because its hard to repair the IER unit AFAIK. So I don't think they are open for repair. You may want to try local shop repair service. Sorry to hear that, what happened?
Thanks. Nothing yet but I'm thinking of changing cable and want to be prepared in case I mess up the connectors.

Jun 6, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #2,647 of 3,229
Thanks. Nothing yet but I'm thinking of changing cable and want to be prepared in case I mess up the connectors.
Oww, I thought you dropped your M9 or something, honestly they are quite well built so they won't break easily. About connectors, that always be my concern. I think the cable is quite good and the Z1R too, so little bit upgrade isn't on par with the big risk of the connectors for me. Of course your decision is up to you, just gentle reminder, lot of bad case with connectors on Z1R since Sony use proprietary mmcx (recessed) instead of universal mmcx.

Jun 6, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #2,648 of 3,229
I heard those multikilobucks IEMs and owned the M9,
Exactly like you said, I prefer M9 than traillii especially when price category is included into deciding factor. Value wise they are crazy. At exact a kilobuck price, they hold up to many kilobucks TOTLs.
The super resolution of multikilobucks TOTLs usually made them derived from naturalness in exchange for super resolution and crispy details.

If you miss the dynamic driver's air moving feeling, maybe you want to switch to Mest MkI or MkII, great technicalities with awesome bass. Tonality like M9 on steroid but tilted to brighter tonality from M9 warmness.

I still think best value and quality you can get in IEM worlds is at $1000-2000.
Man you know I’ve been loving this M7 I got a few months ago but recently I got bit by the upgrade to a nicer IEM bug that’s been going around lol and I’m looking for an M9 now. I heard nothing but good things about it

Jun 7, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #2,649 of 3,229
Man you know I’ve been loving this M7 I got a few months ago but recently I got bit by the upgrade to a nicer IEM bug that’s been going around lol and I’m looking for an M9 now. I heard nothing but good things about it

Still have M7 with me and they are still great, I would say they are just need 1 step up to enter TOTL level. The imaging is crazy on the midfi class, one of if not still the best out there. M9 is better of course, similar bass, more detailed mids and trebles and sharper imaging, but slightly different presentation than the more mid centric M7. Both still warm but detailed IEMs with great technicalities.
I prefer M9 than my Monarch MkII really. I sold my M9 because I keep the Z1R and M7, why M7 and not M9? that time I just need $$$ to fund other IEMs, I got bigger money from the M9 so I sold the M9 and keep the M7, just purely because of the value not the SQ. This kinda make me feel bad sold my M9.

Jun 7, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #2,650 of 3,229

As per diminishing returns, the M9 is not doubly better than the M7. You do get better imaging, soundstage and treble extension with the M9, but the improvements are maybe 20% or so ballpark?

Jun 7, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #2,651 of 3,229
I find the M7 treble to be unrefined, and prefer the N3 over it in that regard. Other than that, it’s an amazing underrated IEM and a value for money monster.

The M9 not only has extension it’s also a really good treble implementation. I need to compare it to something like Variations which I own and bought based on how it graphs on that region, only to learn that it sounds thin across the board and has a weightless over smoothed feel when it comes to the higher frequencies. Those EST drivers are a joke.

Normally I prefer no treble over bad treble. This is why I love the E5000 and prefer it over other single dynamic drivers that try too hard and fail, becoming grainy/harsh or resonant mess. I feel M9 has too much of it but since it’s more of a good thing I don’t complain.

Since most of the money usually goes for treble performance I wouldn’t say the M9 is overpriced, and thinking about its performance in linear terms doesn’t tell the whole story.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #2,652 of 3,229
I find the M7 treble to be unrefined, and prefer the N3 over it in that regard. Other than that, it’s an amazing underrated IEM and a value for money monster.

The M9 not only has extension it’s also a really good treble implementation. I need to compare it to something like Variations which I own and bought based on how it graphs on that region, only to learn that it sounds thin across the board and has a weightless over smoothed feel when it comes to the higher frequencies. Those EST drivers are a joke.

Normally I prefer no treble over bad treble. This is why I love the E5000 and prefer it over other single dynamic drivers that try too hard and fail, becoming grainy/harsh or resonant mess. I feel M9 has too much of it but since it’s more of a good thing I don’t complain.

Since most of the money usually goes for treble performance I wouldn’t say the M9 is overpriced, and thinking about its performance in linear terms doesn’t tell the whole story.
M9 if anything, is actually underpriced. It runs circles around many IEMs costing 3 to 4 times as much. As for moondrop, every single IEM they make is janky and artifically overhyped.

Jun 8, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #2,653 of 3,229
Still have M7 with me and they are still great, I would say they are just need 1 step up to enter TOTL level. The imaging is crazy on the midfi class, one of if not still the best out there. M9 is better of course, similar bass, more detailed mids and trebles and sharper imaging, but slightly different presentation than the more mid centric M7. Both still warm but detailed IEMs with great technicalities.
I prefer M9 than my Monarch MkII really. I sold my M9 because I keep the Z1R and M7, why M7 and not M9? that time I just need $$$ to fund other IEMs, I got bigger money from the M9 so I sold the M9 and keep the M7, just purely because of the value not the SQ. This kinda make me feel bad sold my M9.
I’ve actually considered going for a Z1R as well but my biggest concern with those is the fitting, a lot of complaints about how they just don’t fit very well in some ears and since I don’t live near a place I could demo them, I’ve been looking into the M9 instead I know those will fit really well in my ears.

Jun 8, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #2,654 of 3,229
I’ve actually considered going for a Z1R as well but my biggest concern with those is the fitting, a lot of complaints about how they just don’t fit very well in some ears and since I don’t live near a place I could demo them, I’ve been looking into the M9 instead I know those will fit really well in my ears.

M9 fit is exactly the same with M7, just different material used on the shell. Yeah I wouldn't suggest to blind buy Z1R without trying first merely because of the fit, not the sound.

Jun 11, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #2,655 of 3,229
I feel i am missing something, i love the sony signature
20230611_163649~2.jpg
sound, but i get no wow factor with these no matter how much i use them. Also i just cant get a comfy fit, both inside and outside my ears

Users who are viewing this thread

Back