Sony IER-M9 vs FiiO FA9
Jul 28, 2021 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 136

Vamp898

Headphoneus Supremus
Until now i mostly use Over Ear Headphones (MDR-Z7M2 and recently MDR-Z1R) on my ZX507 and i am pretty satisfied.

Because, especially for sports, i wanted an good In-Ear, i bought an XBA-Z5 roughly a year ago and it is the most rarely used Headphone i have.

Initially it had an pretty bloated bass and very recessed mids, After the foam got dirty, i removed it which reduced the bass a little bit, but caused extremely sharp and hurtful highs.

I then put a custom made fabric on them and now they sound kinda balanced... okay enough but still i don't enjoy listening to them. They don't isolate well, they still sound far from detailed and my Over Ear are just so much better, that i only use them for sports and nothing else.

I also tried the IER-Z1R which was extremely uncomfortable in my ears and also had very sharp/hurting highs on some songs.

I then kinda gave up on In-Ear Headphones until i bought the FiiO FA9. Those are, for me personally, by far the best headphones i ever had in my live. I use them on the bass setting with the bass tips and they are just incredible. The bass is strong, controled, detailed, the mids are where they belong and the highs are extremely airy, fine, detailed, right in your face but never not a single time sharp or hissing. The isolation is incredible too, they fit comfortably, are ultry lightweight.

I prefer them over any other headphone i own.

The FA9 brought back my faith in In-Ear Headphones and now im kinda wondering, maybe i was always looking in the wrong direction. Maybe the IER-M9 would be the best In-Ear Headphone for me? Would i be disappointed and should just stick with the FA9

It sounds kinda stupid to think about another headphone when i found one that i like very much, but i always thought that i'd prefeer the Sony Sound Signature... maybe i was just wrong? Im kinda lost now.

I'd love to test them but the only way to get them in germany is the same way i got my MDR-Z1R and XBA-Z5, by importing them from japan.

But i don't want to import an ~900-1000€ headphone (incl. tax and shipping and stuff) and then be disappointed so here i am asking if someone owns the IER-M9 and the FiiO FA9 and can describe how they compare.

I expected to dislike the FA9 because lot of people said that they sound boring and lifeless. Maybe its related to my taste in music but for me they sound everything but boring and lifeless. They are the first headphones that were able to give me goose bumps at some songs i never had them (for example at Avatar from Fibel)

So my idea right now is, the IER-M9 might be like the FA9 but better. Maybe its the opposide (for me). I have no idea... please help me :D

Jul 30, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #2 of 136
Of course the M9 is better! :wink:
In all seriousness it's almost impossible to answer this question for you, since everyone hears things differently and you seem to prefer a signature that's quite different to the mainstream.

I never heard the FA9 but I own the M9. I suppose you checked Crinacle's ranking list?
And for a deep dive, the best analysis I know of is Precog's review:
https://www.headphones.com/communit...ews/sony-ier-m9-review-the-kilobuck-benchmark

This paragraph sums it up best IMO:
Details, subtle nuances in tracks are simply laid out for you to depict; the IER-M9 isn’t the type of IEM to slam details in your face, and here-in lies a pleasant contrast with the IER-M9’s excellent positional cues. Perhaps most interestingly, the IER-M9 also doesn’t feel very fast. However, it stands that its sheer resolving capability is impressive - perhaps a step shy from being at the top of the IEM game. Coherency is stellar in my opinion, although I’m not especially sensitive to this stuff.

Keep in mind that it needs a good source, the M9 is an IEM I never use with my phone, I sometimes use it with the Mojo for convenience but I prefer using the Chord Hugo 2.

The only thing I'd be slightly worried about is the treble energy - the M9 is not shrill or harsh but has good extension and definition in the upper treble, ad you seem to be particularly sensitive to that.

In the end you'll have to hear it to know if it's for you. Keep an eye on Addicted to Audio in Australia. They had the M9 on sale for around €600 a couple of times in the past years.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #3 of 136
First of all, thank you very much for your reply.

I read some reviews and also read this Interview with Eiji Kuwahara (who also created the MDR-1AM2, XBA-N1, XBA-N3, IER-M7 (obviusly) and the IER-Z1R) here: https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/ier-m9-ier-m7-interview

After reading into them i decided to give them a try. I may be sensitive to treble, but when the Filters were still in the XBA-Z5, i had no issues with them and i also have no issues with my MDR-Z7M2 (which, i have been told, have more treble going on).

I always take reviews with a big grain of salt. I read many times that the IER-M9 does have more base and sounds warmer, does have different attack and so on than the IER-M7. But the only difference in the M9 is an added super tweeter and when i look into frequency response measurements (which i also take with a big grain of salt because they mostly measure the recording microphone), i don't see any change in the lower or mid frequencies.

In the Engeneer inteview they say: "The IER-M9 has an additional tweeter for smoother and more refined reproduction of high frequencies, allowing the fine nuances of the timbre to be expressed. Because we put a lot of our focus onto reproducing sounds like the linger of cymbals and high hats, and the breathing of the artist, it would be the IER-M9 that I would recommend to anyone who wants that level of exacting reproduction"

After reading so many reviews where they tell me about the many differences of the M7 and the M9 and the creators of the headphone tell me "They use the same BAs, it should sound the same except in very high frequencies".

I also read tons of reviews that the FA9 sound booring but... i don't know. To me they sound exactly how i imagine an monitor to sound. Its far from boring or lifeless, especially when being adjusted with the switches. So i personally don't trust reviews from Audiophiles nor frequency response measurements. I think you're right, the only way to know is by testing them myself...

They were on sale at Addicted to Audio, but sadly they are no longer sold (at least now). But i found a good deal at Qoo10 in Japan who sold them for 103.684¥ which is roughly 795€ and way below the >=120.000¥ Amazon Japans wants from me. This is far from 600€ but i never imported anything from australia and don't know the complications that might come. I am very used to import stuff from japan and i think the prices is still pretty good.

So i bought them and im waiting for shipment. As soon as i a got them i'll report here as the first person who compares the FA9 with the IER-M9 as it seems^^

I am very curious but i do expect to prefer the IER-M9 from what i read so far. Thank you for the time, i'll keep you updated.

Jul 30, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #4 of 136
I think you made a good decision and I hope you'll like them!

I have heard the M7 and M9 side by side on a trip to Japan, and in my notes from that day I wrote:
Sony IER-M7: 4BA model, very nice but just not up to the IER-M9 level

And about the M9:
Great sounding 5BA IEM (added super-tweeter). IMO better than Andromeda, more lively, more punchy. Closer to Solaris, but could not say how close. Great fit!
Very, very nice to hear that refined, detailed and sparkly BA sound with a little heft in the bass. But the weight and heft cannot compare even remotely to the EX800ST or XBA-Z5 slam. Pure SQ clearly above Z5, but the Z5 also has refinement paired with real slam. Matter of preference.

I was pretty new to the high end IEM game then, so just take it as "impressions"

I would expect that the magnesium structure of the M9 would make a difference as well, and I was wondering, Sony makes a big deal about the high grade capacitors used in the M9 crossover, but I could not find any similar information about the M7. Mayber there's another difference between them.

Anyway, congratulations and please share your experiences!

Jul 30, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 136
I have heard the same about the FA9 sounding boring and cold, and a lot of ppl on HeadFi swear by the M9. I'm interested to hear what you think. I would like to demo the M9 someday and form an opinion myself.

Aug 16, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #6 of 136
I received the IER-M9 today and they sound completely different than the FiiO FA9, i was very suprised.

The FiiO FA9 sounded very good, extremely detailed but they sounded like very typical BA headphones. They matched pretty much the sound i expected from an BA only Headphone.

The IER-M9 are the exact opposite! Holy Moly they sound... i don't know. Like a headphones with Dynamic Drivers that does have the advantage of an BA setup. Its like the best of both worlds.

I'd assume that most people would not notice that those are BA-only headphones. Someone with lots of experience could assume it but its not like super obvious like with other BA-only Headphones.

And oh my god are they much better then the FA9. Of course this is an unfair comparison due to being easily the double price but still.

So from my personal experience having owned them both, its not even close. They sound totally different and the M9 is in a whole other league.

I am very suprised that not more people are talking about these, maybe those people want this specific "synthetic" BA sound... i don't know but for me, the M9 are, no question, the clear winner. 10/10.

Also they are much more comfortable to wear. The still have, like all IEM, this typical vaccum they create and are very picky with the tips, but the feeling in the ear is much better. Smaller, lighter, no pressure against the ear.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #8 of 136
Good to hear that you like them!
I suppose that at least part of the reason that the M9 don't get that much hype is that they really need a good source to shine.
You might also benefit from a certain synergy of your sources with the M9, since they are all Sony products.

The M9 does a lot of things really, really well, but there are times when I wish it had less mid-bass and that it had more dynamic scaling.
Still, they are extremely coherent and to me they sound like a really well engineered and thoroughly optimized IEM.

Report back what you think about them after a few months!

Aug 16, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #10 of 136
Good to hear that you like them!
I suppose that at least part of the reason that the M9 don't get that much hype is that they really need a good source to shine.
You might also benefit from a certain synergy of your sources with the M9, since they are all Sony products.

The M9 does a lot of things really, really well, but there are times when I wish it had less mid-bass and that it had more dynamic scaling.
Still, they are extremely coherent and to me they sound like a really well engineered and thoroughly optimized IEM.

Report back what you think about them after a few months!
I will. So far i am _very_ satisfied with them. As someone who likes the MDR-Z1R i maybe am not the best person to judge if an headphone has too much mid-bass :p

Aug 19, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #11 of 136
So it took me like 3 days to find the right tip size. Yesturday M was just perfect, today M is too small but ML is perfect :D

I still need some time to get used to that extreme isolated feel by In Ear Monitors, as said i had the same with the FA9 and this like "underwater" feel is strange and takes some time to get used to. But its awesome as it makes Noise Cancellation pretty much obsolete.

I feel like they even isolate better than Ohropax, but right after the insertion it takes some time to adjust. So when i put them in i have to wait like 2-3 minutes until all the pressure compensation features of my body did what they need to do.

When i listen to Music while being on work i listen at volume 10-15 (from 120) and thats while a construction is going on outside and the windows are open.

I think the sound is extremely neutral, like extreme. This is the most flat earphone i ever had in my whole live. When i want to get the same bass level as i get from my MDR-Z1R i have to push the bass at least +6 in the EQ

But i did buy an In-Ear Monitor to have this flat sound, that is what i wanted and why i bought it and until now, i was not disappointed.

Until now i used the WI-1000XM2 Noise Cancelling in Ear when i went outside like Train Rides and stuff but the Sound of the IER-M9 is much better + they have better isolation at the same time. So less Noise + better Sound

I just noticed, if you don't put them all the way but only slightly (so that they still seal but not completely isolate), they actually do have an pretty pronounced bass. That very interesting.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #12 of 136
I own them now for a week, so for me this case is closed. They are better than the FA9 in every aspect, i could not imagine one aspect where i would prefer the FA9.

They are better build, more comfortable to wear, and better sounding in all aspects (Bass, Middle, Treble, Sound Stage, Layer, everything is better without exception).

Maybe it was naive in the first place to think that a 550€ IEM could keep up with an 1500€ IEM (but some reviews claimed exactly that)

If you get used to how picky they are to insert (i have to insert them like Ohropax (pulling my ear back, pushing them in as far in as possible, slowly letting my ear go backnormal) and then wait a few seconds and wiggle and jiggle them until they perfectly sit and seal), the sound is excellent.

It took me some time to find the right tips and i switched between SS and LL back and forth. At some point i had the feelin like they all fit me because they kinda do, but not all of them produce the right sound.

After testing back and forth, i decided for the S size (and bought replacement tips) because they are the ones who, when i inserted them properly after all the wiggle and jiggle, neither produce under pressure nor over pressure. When i raise my eyebrows, press my jaw muscles (by just biting), look up/down/left/right the sound doesn't change so thats the check that they sit perfect.

Its still kinda annoying but i think thats the price for an isolating IEM. On the other hand, they often isolate better than ohropax blocking almost all sound letting me enjoy perfect music everywhere.

Sometimes they isolate a bit too well, it can feel weird and extreme isolating listening to music with them especially at low volumes. I sometimes listen at Volume 001 (of 120!) because its so quiet around me and sometimes its weird when suddenly someone is standing right behind you and you haven't noticed them at all. But its kinda cool at the same time.

My hearing is very important to me and i wear them outside sometimes just to protect my hearing. Its hearing protection that plays music in excellent quality.

From my personal experience, 10/10 and highly recommended even though i'm not sure if they are really worth the 1500€ (or 1200€ i payed). I think there is nothing wrong with picking them up used as they are build to last an atomic war and e-earphone does have lots of "like new" deals for 50% of the price or just go with the IER-M7.

But if you have the 1200€ (in my case it just used my vacation money as there seems to be no real vacation this year again thanks to corona), i'd say just go for it. Its a no brainer.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #13 of 136
Last comment on this topic.

I bought memory foam tips for the IER-M9 and even though I don't like them in any other In-Ear, they are the best in the M9.

They fit perfectly like earplugs
They isolate perfectly
They don't build up pressure, not at all, but even a bit.

Even when I re-push them after some time, no change in pressure.

It's feel like this is the first time I'm really able to fully evaluate them and they are better as ever before.

Shootout to everyone who has issues with closed IEM, try foam. Worked wonders for me on the IER-M9

Nov 10, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #15 of 136
which ones have you bought?
Just the cheapest one i could find that fit the M9 because i didn't want to waste money in case it wouldn't work out.

Xcessor FX4.0 (S)

But to my surprise it worked wonders. Sometimes the smallest things can have the biggest impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back