SONY IER-Z1R
Apr 23, 2024 at 4:56 AM Post #15,257 of 15,280
I've come this close to pulling the trigger on some grey market IER-Z1R imports, having enjoyed reading this thread over the past few weeks. But have just got to the end and reached the discontinuation news sad ending... does anyone have any hunches on the likelihood of a successor in the next year or so?

And another question. If you had the chance to buy IER-Z1Rs for the first time, now, knowing how they sound and knowing that they would be discontinued -- would you? Emotive answers to this necessarily subjective question welcomed and encouraged.
I did just that about a year ago, I bought a Z1R without ever trying them. Tbh, it was a bit scary, mostly about the "infamous " comfort problem of the Z1R. Thankfully, turns out my ears are  just good enough to fit the Z1R and I can enjoy It's incredible sound. I also just really like the stock cable, it's so nice.

Though lately, I'm thinking of getting another IEM as while I  can fit the Z1R and listen to it for an hour or so, I definitely cannot do it all day. So maybe I'll get something else for comfort. Dunno if to replace Z1R or just alongside Z1R.

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #15,259 of 15,280
The first cable I tried was the FiiO LC-RE (trimetallic) then I tried the Effect Audio Cadmus 8W, the Effect Audio Ares S 8w and the Effect Audio Eros S... but in the end the one I prefer is the stock. Sony engineers also studied the best cable for the IER-Z1R... the only thing I changed were the tips which at the beginning were the Final Audio type E... but in the end I chose the Sony EP-EX11 because they have the same shape as the Effect Audio but being softer they allow better insertion of the IER-Z1R into the ear canal.
waiting Sony EP-EX11 eartips too.

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #15,260 of 15,280
I've come this close to pulling the trigger on some grey market IER-Z1R imports, having enjoyed reading this thread over the past few weeks. But have just got to the end and reached the discontinuation news sad ending... does anyone have any hunches on the likelihood of a successor in the next year or so?

And another question. If you had the chance to buy IER-Z1Rs for the first time, now, knowing how they sound and knowing that they would be discontinued -- would you? Emotive answers to this necessarily subjective question welcomed and encouraged.
Yes, I would.

Along with my IER-M7 and the Xelento, these IEMs have had the “unfortunate” side effect of not allowing me to spend more money on other IEMs since something “better”, for me, does not seem to exist.

Apr 24, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #15,262 of 15,280
I’m in Japan for work and stopped by Yodobashi Akiba (it’s so damn awesome you can try almost anything there) and while I wasn’t sure if full insertion was comfortable for me I found they fit well enough and weren’t loose at all, so I pulled the trigger, especially since the conversion rate is so damn favorable atm (and once you cut another 10% off for taxes, it’s really the best deal possible).

Won’t open them till I get home and who knows, maybe I’ll find them uncomfortable long term, but nothing about trying them on made me think “I hate these.” I just wish it was a quieter environment and more conducive to a sonic evaluation as well.

It was the last laminated plastic card there, maybe they have more, but I wonder when stock runs out…

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #15,263 of 15,280
I’m in Japan for work and stopped by Yodobashi Akiba (it’s so damn awesome you can try almost anything there) and while I wasn’t sure if full insertion was comfortable for me I found they fit well enough and weren’t loose at all, so I pulled the trigger, especially since the conversion rate is so damn favorable atm (and once you cut another 10% off for taxes, it’s really the best deal possible).

Won’t open them till I get home and who knows, maybe I’ll find them uncomfortable long term, but nothing about trying them on made me think “I hate these.” I just wish it was a quieter environment and more conducive to a sonic evaluation as well.

It was the last laminated plastic card there, maybe they have more, but I wonder when stock runs out…
I am wondering if you order from Amazon JP, do you also enjoy the benefit of the exchange rate. Well, I am not only talking about just Z1R.

Apr 24, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #15,264 of 15,280
I am wondering if you order from Amazon JP, do you also enjoy the benefit of the exchange rate. Well, I am not only talking about just Z1R.
You do. I bought the M2 DAP and a number of Van Nuys products from Amazon JP. You just need to find a freight forwarder to send it to you.

Apr 26, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #15,265 of 15,280
My BSEP cable for Z1R was shipped from Japan (Brise Audio), really excited after months of waiting.

Apr 27, 2024 at 7:20 AM Post #15,267 of 15,280
Recently just came back from a trip to Japan, visiting e-earphone to look for an upgrade on my campfire andro ogs. Spent hours demoing the whole thieaudio line, unique melody line, 64 audio line. Liked the monarch's clarity, the mest's soundstage and the u4's overall tuning, but wasn't really clicking fully with any of the aforementioned. Like they were good but the way the iem market has gained so much traction in the past few years (probably more relevant to the sub1k price point), I was feeling a bit letdown about how small of incremental upgrade they were over my andros. Was priming myself to be financially responsible and walkout empty handed, but thought to myself, well I might as well try everything they have on demo since I'm here, and saw they had the Z1R to try. These were never on my radar because I was looking for newer releases and also due to its infamous fit . In fact, I was honestly more curious about how uncomfortable these could be rather than how they sounded.

What the HECK.

This was better than all that new stuff i tried. And it was laughably uncomfortable having just tried on the 64 u4s. But these were doing things I didn't even know IEM's were capable of in the bass and width of soundstage. These weren't just andros but slightly better, but a whole different experience. Ended up walking out with a mint condition 2nd hand pair for 130000 yen. What the hell just happened? Now I'm back home listening to them and convincing myself that with a large tip and shallow insertion, these are actually not as uncomfortable as they felt in store. Copium? Maybe, but damn if I'm not glad I gave these oldies a shot.

Apr 27, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #15,268 of 15,280
Apr 27, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #15,269 of 15,280
Recently just came back from a trip to Japan, visiting e-earphone to look for an upgrade on my campfire andro ogs. Spent hours demoing the whole thieaudio line, unique melody line, 64 audio line. Liked the monarch's clarity, the mest's soundstage and the u4's overall tuning, but wasn't really clicking fully with any of the aforementioned. Like they were good but the way the iem market has gained so much traction in the past few years (probably more relevant to the sub1k price point), I was feeling a bit letdown about how small of incremental upgrade they were over my andros. Was priming myself to be financially responsible and walkout empty handed, but thought to myself, well I might as well try everything they have on demo since I'm here, and saw they had the Z1R to try. These were never on my radar because I was looking for newer releases and also due to its infamous fit . In fact, I was honestly more curious about how uncomfortable these could be rather than how they sounded.

What the HECK.

This was better than all that new stuff i tried. And it was laughably uncomfortable having just tried on the 64 u4s. But these were doing things I didn't even know IEM's were capable of in the bass and width of soundstage. These weren't just andros but slightly better, but a whole different experience. Ended up walking out with a mint condition 2nd hand pair for 130000 yen. What the hell just happened? Now I'm back home listening to them and convincing myself that with a large tip and shallow insertion, these are actually not as uncomfortable as they felt in store. Copium? Maybe, but damn if I'm not glad I gave these oldies a shot.
I have both og Andro and Z1R and still love them both 😃 but for me Z1R has always sounded better with a deep fit, I mostly use Coreir tips now deffo worth a try…glad you’re liking the Sony ‘ol’ boys though 👍

Apr 27, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #15,270 of 15,280
So, the other day I changed the tips on my Z1R from the medium stock silicone to the triple comfort medium-large tips and so far it’s been great!
For me the sound remained the same but the IEMs no longer slide out after a while.

Also, seems it has helped with the right IEM not digging into my ear anymore, or at least not as much. Granted, the IEMs for me have not been uncomfortable at all since I got them but the issue was still there.

Overall, great experience and proves how important tip rolling is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back