SONY IER-Z1R
Jul 12, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #14,131 of 15,378
I never said switch your phone^^ I just said that iPhones are bad for audiophiles which is just true. There are much better phones for audiophiles^^ That doesn't mean that you have to own them.

With some smartphones like the Xperias from Sony, you don't even need an dongle. They have an high quality hi-res audio certified 3.5mm jack directly in the phone. While my Walkman was at Sony for repair, i just listened to music with my Phone.

I like this carfree life where the electronic devices do exactly what i wan't and i don't have to adjust my lifestyle to what they can do because they can just do everything whats technically possible. That is a good reason to have the best that is available, so you have peace of mind that you can use everything that have been invented so far.

So you do not want LDAC and you do not want to have fully supported Dongles?

That sounds very strange. Why would you not want LDAC? Because AAC is good enough?

So if the iPhone would support LDAC, you would still use AAC? I don't think that is true. If the iPhone would have LDAC, of course you would want to use it. You just say you don't want because you can't have it.

If you would get a free 1. Class Ticket for the train, would you still travel in 2. Class because it is good enough?

And that is what i meant, that this is an very Apple User typical answer. Apple users don't ""want"" things as soon they are not available on iPhone.

I remember how literally every user said, nobody needs Dark Mode. Its a useless feature and bad for the eyes and whatnot. Nobody needs it.

And then Apple brought the feature with an Update and suddenly, everyone was using Dark Mode.

So if something is availalbe on an other Platform than Apple --> That is something nobody needs and wants
As soon Apple brings that feature --> Its the best thing ever, thanks to Apple
I don’t need audiophile quality on my phone as I only use it to play music while commuting and flying and the better quality is wasted in those situations due to ambient noise so aac is plenty good enough with my WF-1000XM4 and if I really do want ldac I use my A55 as secondary device but mostly I can’t be bothered taking anything other than my iPhone.

When I want audiophile quality I have my Sony daps when in hotels (100+ nights per year) and at home my TA amp/dac, all with wired iems or phones.

I’ve been using iPhones and iPads since they came out in Denmark and for my use case I’ve seen no compelling reasons to switch to anything else.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #14,133 of 15,378
IER-Z1R sounds best with which dongle,Cayin RU7 or Luxury & Precision W4?
Both are good, it depends on your taste and use-case, to me, I prefer W4.

Jul 12, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #14,134 of 15,378
Hey guys just checking in, thanks to a fellow head fi forum member I managed to get my end game Sony IER Z1R , looking forward to enjoying this bad boys, I think I’m going to order one of those cases for it in Amazon to avoid scratches and some new tips too
IMG_2871.jpeg

Jul 12, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #14,135 of 15,378
My thoughts on Sony IER-Z1R fit has evolved thanks to 2 different adaptors sourced from Japan and a thin low profile Campfire Audio cable

* all purchased in the interests of learning upon seeing thread photos of members using adaptors
  • E4UA branded adaptor
  • Second adaptor, no apparent branding, made to order by a seller on Japan auction sites yiu75724
  • Campfire Audio Pure Silver Litz cable, no mouldable memory-wire ear hooks (some CFA cables do have this

Please excuse the photograph quality. Using a phone model from 2014 (not a typo)

Some background: for customs my audiologist to the stars Aid2Hearing in London says that my canals are narrow opening but 'once inside the space seems to be normal'. My ears are compatible with 64 Audio in custom fit. For universal fit monitors my go to tips are SS, S or M tips depending on the tip material and shape and the individual monitor

Yeah the IER-Z1R housing is chunky no getting away from or changing that.

It must be the size of the stock cable connector barrels. Hold on - the bigger adaptor is of similar size as the stock cable connector barrels. Yet both adaptors feel the same with the CFA cable

Looking again, the stock cable has pre-moulded memory wire or ear guides for strain relief. The Campfire Audio cable comes without strain relief. The difference is revelatory. No more pull , thanks to the CFA cable. This is with either adaptor .

Was talking with LFC_SL and as a new owner realised many may be looking for better fit options either via connectors above or alternative cables. No I'm not risking my Z1R with other manufacturers MMCX cables, for now, but I do have a range of Sony cables in 3.5mm or 4.4mm that do indeed offer far better 'fit/feel' option than the default thick'ish cables with memory sleeve.

So here's a few photos with my thoughts. All were tested listening with my Sony A307 and the 4.4mm cables via a 3.5-4.4mm TTRS adapter (separate earths) to keep comparrison to same source.

Cables inc. original 4.4mm are:
  • Sony 3.5mm XBA-N3 with inline controls (The rubber sheaf makes it fit really secure to Z1R and great around the ear)
  • Sony 3.5mm MUC-M125M2 (Also great fit around ear)
  • Sony Kimber Kable 4.4mm MUC-M12SB1 (better fit than Z1R & M9 stock cables as no memory loop)
  • Sony M9 4.4mm cable (fits better than Z1R at thinner more flexible wire and less ridged sleeve)
I'm not big into finding cables make much if any difference to sound for me these all sound same & really good, even the cheapo Sony with inline controls.

20230712_175100.jpg
20230712_175327.jpg
20230712_175701.jpg
20230712_180739.jpg
20230712_181138.jpg

20230712_182131.jpg

20230712_182417.jpg

Earshots

20230712_180621.jpg20230712_181245.jpg20230712_181912.jpg20230712_182307.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #14,136 of 15,378
Was talking with LFC_SL and as a new owner realised many may be looking for better fit options either via connectors above or alternative cables. No I'm not risking my Z1R with other MMCX cables for now but do have a range of Sony cables in 3.5mm or 4.4mm that do indeed offer far better 'fit/feel' option than the default thick'ish cables with memory sleeve.

So here's a few photos with my thoughts. All were tested listening with my Sony A307 and the 4.4mm cables via a 3.5-4.4mm TTRS adapter (separate earths) to keep comparrison to same source.

Cables inc. original 4.4mm are:
  • Sony 3.5mm XBA-N3 with inline controls (The rubber sheaf makes it fit really secure to Z1R and great around the ear)
  • Sony 3.5mm MUC-M125M2 (Also great fit around ear)
  • Sony Kimber Kable 4.4mm MUC-M12SB1 (better fit than Z1R & M9 stock cables as no memory loop)
  • Sony M9 4.4mm cable (fits better than Z1R as less ridged sleeve)
I'm not big into finding cables make much if any difference to sound for me these all sound same & really good, even the cheapo Sony with inline controls.

20230712_175100.jpg20230712_175327.jpg20230712_175701.jpg20230712_180739.jpg20230712_181138.jpg
20230712_182131.jpg
20230712_182417.jpg

Earshots

20230712_180621.jpg
20230712_181245.jpg
20230712_181912.jpg
20230712_182307.jpg
If you don’t mind me asking which tips are you using? I just got mine and I think I’m in need of some better fitting tips

Jul 12, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #14,137 of 15,378
Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #14,139 of 15,378
iPhones are the worst phones you can get to listen to music.
Agreed that power limitations and bluetooth codec support are issues, but Apple devices make excellent USB transports, with no SRC and other Android quirks. With powered DACs, like the iFi Gryphon, they are fantastic. I personally use an iPad as the main transport for my home desktop setup. I also don't find LDAC to be noticeably better than AAC (on Apple devices), especially when LDAC 990 kHz is almost impossible to use without dropouts and static. I do understand that AAC on an Android device seems to be inferior, although I'm not sure why.

Jul 12, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #14,140 of 15,378
Agreed that power limitations and bluetooth codec support are issues, but Apple devices make excellent USB transports, with no SRC and other Android quirks. With powered DACs, like the iFi Gryphon, they are fantastic. I personally use an iPad as the main transport for my home desktop setup. I also don't find LDAC to be noticeably better than AAC (on Apple devices), especially when LDAC 990 kHz is almost impossible to use without dropouts and static. I do understand that AAC on an Android device seems to be inferior, although I'm not sure why.

For my own files, sounds best for me with my BTR7 via USB-C using UAPP with its own audio drivers and can play Native DSD and MQA (plus all normal FLAC) perfectly.

As for wireless, again my old'ish S21 over LDAC BT 990 using UAPP with BT option set and using Bluetooth Codec Changer app. I only use Spotify at moment for Streaming discovery so leave that at LDAC 660 while out & about for improved stability/connection.

Spotify sounds ace with BTR7 over LDAC BT anyway.

Jul 12, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #14,141 of 15,378
For my own files, sounds best for me with my BTR7 via USB-C using UAPP with its own audio drivers and can play Native DSD and MQA (plus all normal FLAC) perfectly.

As for wireless, again my old'ish S21 over LDAC BT 990 using UAPP with BT option set and using Bluetooth Codec Changer app. I only use Spotify at moment for Streaming discovery so leave that at LDAC 660 while out & about for improved stability/connection.

iPod touch plus BTR7 or iFi Gryphon via either USB or BT, depending on the circumstances... I do have Android DAPs that I use also. I have a tendency to switch around my audio toys... :wink:

Jul 12, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #14,142 of 15,378

Spotify itself isn't good in quality. Their highest quality is sounded very compressed and muddy. Try Apple music, they have hi res lossless quality without additional price tier. Even compressed aac on Apple music is still better than highest quality on Spotify.

Jul 12, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #14,143 of 15,378
iPod touch plus BTR7 or iFi Gryphon via either USB or BT, depending on the circumstances... I do have Android DAPs that I use also. I have a tendency to switch around my audio toys... :wink:
I did, but now just stick to one DAP the Sony A307 and one BT/DAC/AMP the Fiio BTR7.

I just sold the 256GB iPhone 13 mini which I was using with the BTR7 for a while and always end up going back to UAPP app on Android, usually Samsung S series.

I swapped IEM's a bit, but since getting the Z1R its all I'm listening too for now :smile:

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #14,144 of 15,378
I did, but now just stick to one DAP the Sony A307 and one BT/DAC/AMP the Fiio BTR7.

I just sold the 256GB iPhone 13 mini which I was using with the iPhone for a while and always end up going back to UAPP app on Android, usually Samsung S series.

I swapped IEM's a bit, but since getting the Z1R its all I'm listening too for now :smile:

I listen to my A306 and XBA-N3 often as it's my most portable setup and battery life is good... The Z1R is calling... but I have resisted so far.

Jul 12, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #14,145 of 15,378
Spotify itself isn't good in quality. Their highest quality is sounded very compressed and muddy. Try Apple music, they have hi res lossless quality without additional price tier. Even compressed aac on Apple music is still better than highest quality on Spotify.
I know, tried many of the others but prefer Spotify discovery/navigation etc. so its great for finding new stuff and then buy what I really want, plus its a DUO account to keep costs down and wife doesn't want to learn a new app and addicted to crime podcasts :sweat_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back