SONY IER-Z1R
Feb 14, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #11,476 of 15,296
I've never tried, the stock cable has ear hooks that don't make it easy to wear the cable straight down.

The IER-Z1R is definitely on the heavy side, much more so than any other IEM I've tried. That said, I do manage to get them inserted pretty deep into my ear canals, so it could be possible to use a cable that hangs straight down.

Curious, why would you want to do this instead of the 'standard' way of hooking the cable over your ears?

On some of my iems, I wear them with third party cables, straight down. I tend to prefer this when I'm frequently taking one ear in and out alot. But I also will just let the iem hang off my ear on some iems as well. Just depends on what kind of comfort I get. and then there are some iems where the hooks get in the way of my glasses. so much variability in comfort.

Feb 14, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #11,477 of 15,296
On some of my iems, I wear them with third party cables, straight down. I tend to prefer this when I'm frequently taking one ear in and out alot. But I also will just let the iem hang off my ear on some iems as well. Just depends on what kind of comfort I get. and then there are some iems where the hooks get in the way of my glasses. so much variability in comfort.
Gotcha. Like I mentioned, Z1R is fairly heavy, but does lock in well with a deep fit so you might well be able to use it with a cable straight down. I would still prefer am earhook cable just to keep such an expensive IEM in place in case it did wiggle out of my ear, but as ever YMMV.

Feb 14, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #11,478 of 15,296
Yeah, I've found mine to be pretty tight, and based on earlier reports in this thread I seldom swap cables at all on the IER-Z1R. Just put on the stock 4.4mm balanced one and left it.

You can get one of these tools for MMCX connectors like the Z1R uses, helps a lot to make sure the cable connector is removed straight from the socket from the IEM:
https://www.mtmtaudio.com/collectio...-assist-for-in-ear-monitor-iem-earphone-green
Wish I’d known about this tool before. I hastily tried to remove some Westone iems from an AAW cable and destroyed said cable last month. One of those damn moments.

Feb 15, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #11,480 of 15,296
Will an A&K sp1000m be capable of running the ier-z1r iems without the use of an amp ?
I am considering buying the Z1Rs or the 64audio u12t. I'm only new in the audio game & would rather buy right first time. Lol
I haven’t tried that DAP with Z1R, but I suspect it will go very nicely. My little A&K SR25 drives the Z1R well enough, although the Z1R does scale well and appreciates more power like you’d get with the SP1000.

As far as the Z1R or U12t, why not just get both??? 😉

If you have any chance to get to one of the various headfi shops that carry both, it’s definitely worth your while to listen to them to find out what suits you best if you have to choose. I’ve also got the U6t, the ‘little brother’ of the U12t, and I like it so much I’m convinced my next purchase will be a 64Audio custom, most probably the A12t. Will be keeping the Z1R for sure, it’s DD bass is absolutely intoxicating.

Feb 15, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #11,481 of 15,296
Thanks for your reply & I probably will end up getting both at some stage.
I just didn't want to waste time with the Z1R if my sp1000m couldn't power it.
As for demoing them in Australia that's impossible because the nearest hi end audio shop is about 500 miles away & i don't think they have them to demo, its an order them & hope they are what I want kind of deal. 😂
I also wouldn't mind the Vision ears phoenix as an end game universal once I win the lotto.
The one I have now are the humble shure 846.
Thanks again for your help.

Feb 15, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #11,482 of 15,296
Thanks for your reply & I probably will end up getting both at some stage.
I just didn't want to waste time with the Z1R if my sp1000m couldn't power it.
As for demoing them in Australia that's impossible because the nearest hi end audio shop is about 500 miles away & i don't think they have them to demo, its an order them & hope they are what I want kind of deal. 😂
I also wouldn't mind the Vision ears phoenix as an end game universal once I win the lotto.
The one I have now are the humble shure 846.
Thanks again for your help.
There’s at least one shop I know in Aus that has a reasonable change-of-mind policy, so you might give them a go for the Z1R, and on the off chance it doesn’t work out for you, you’d probably be able to swap it for the U12t…

Feb 17, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #11,483 of 15,296
So I just rebought z5 (3rd time buying them). I auditioned z1r at 2019 RMAF and remember thinking it didn't sound better than z5, so I want to do some more A/B. I'll post next weekend. I also ki d of regret selling Mest mkii, though in reality those large nozzles didn't fit me well. Idk. From m11, I don't think z1r sound that much better than wf1000xm4. Thats controversial I know.
I found that streaming Tidal hifi with LDAC 990 to the WF-1000XM4's sounds almost as good as an RME adi-2 dac and LCD-3F combo did. That combo is now sold and bought another set of wf-1000xm4's in case Sony screws up the XM5's. I rotate using them to prolong their battery life. I also use them way more than the headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #11,484 of 15,296
Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a stock 3.5mm cable for mine, I lost mine accidentally. If anyone is interested in selling one, feel free to PM me. Thanks in advance.

Feb 18, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #11,486 of 15,296
So whats everyone fav tips for Z1r. Is there any tips that helps combat the problematic lower mids. Rocking the standard silicone tips for now
I use Azla Crystal TWS or Final E

Feb 18, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #11,488 of 15,296
So whats everyone fav tips for Z1r. Is there any tips that helps combat the problematic lower mids. Rocking the standard silicone tips for now
Acoustune ae07 is my fav and they really help with controlling low mid or Crystal Azla

Feb 18, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #11,490 of 15,296
I love the Z1r but, yes there is a but, i have been looking for spare parts in the UK. There is no way to get even spare tips and after contacting Sony i got a reply saying "find a local distributor". If there was one i would be contacting Sony. For this kind of price is kind of a joke that you can't find parts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back