SONY IER-Z1R
Jul 3, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #12,271 of 15,291
Congratulations on joining the IER-Z1R club! Just like Hotel California, you can enter but you may never leave :wink:

Other things aside, the focus of the IER-Z1R for me was also always on the subbass. As for an intimate presentation, I am afraid you have to look elsewhere from the IER-Z1R. I would dare say it is anything but intimate haha.

Additionally, if you are considering a Walkman, the WM1ZM2 is priced insanely but if you want to have the "good enough" version of that, a WM1AM2 or a used WM1A/Z is more than sufficient.
Agreed on the sub-bass being emphasis. It doesn't hit you with the "wow factor" and slam vs some of peers with a mid-bass hump, but makes the music sound natural.

Wow, the combination of sub-bass detail, wide and deep soundstage and ability to place instruments makes this excellent for classical music! The orchestra really sounds realistic and natural :) Better than my Beyer T1 OG at this now..

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #12,272 of 15,291
So I finally got a good fit with my Z5 using large silicone tips and a superficial insertion. It definitely took some getting used to but after a while of getting over that fear of the IEM falling out they became comfortable. I think this method is key for people with medium to large ear canals.

Unfortunately I switched back to my Legend X after a few hours since IMO the LX is on another level. But finally nailing the fitment gives me hope on the Z1R, otherwise I was ready to pass up on even trying it. Hopefully the sound is a big improvement.
Z1r is better than z5, but not by much. 20%? Z5 is a better bang for your buck. They are shaped much differently. Z5 was the first iem I actually liked. It has a wide stage and big bass. The z1r takes that up a notch. It really likes power though. Pairs really well with IFi micro idsd signature

Jul 5, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #12,273 of 15,291
Hi all, so far the Z1Rs are getting 100% listening time and continue to enjoy the new details all around. I'm quite happy with the sound out of my L&P W2 dongle (esp with the Z1R sound profile).

I'm thinking of getting a mid-range DAP with sufficient power and good synergy for the Z1R. What are you all using? Looking for something in the ~$1k range (maybe IBasso DX300 or FiiO M11 Plus or something) and not the WM1ZM2 or SP2000T etc.. Looking for Android DAP with Spotify + Tidal streaming with 3.5mm+4.4mm termination, no need for amazing PEQ or LDAC or ultra high DSD rates. Is replaceable batteries in DAPs (e.g. DX90) still a thing?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #12,274 of 15,291
Hi all, so far the Z1Rs are getting 100% listening time and continue to enjoy the new details all around. I'm quite happy with the sound out of my L&P W2 dongle (esp with the Z1R sound profile).

I'm thinking of getting a mid-range DAP with sufficient power and good synergy for the Z1R. What are you all using? Looking for something in the ~$1k range (maybe IBasso DX300 or FiiO M11 Plus or something) and not the WM1ZM2 or SP2000T etc.. Looking for Android DAP with Spotify + Tidal streaming with 3.5mm+4.4mm termination, no need for amazing PEQ or LDAC or ultra high DSD rates. Is replaceable batteries in DAPs (e.g. DX90) still a thing?
My rec would be a HiBy RS6 (excellent synergy with Z1R), or if you don't need streaming, the original WM1Z.

Jul 5, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #12,275 of 15,291
I have question where I will buy MMCX plug to Z1r? I only see on Aliexpress, but find good quality is very problem.

Jul 5, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #12,277 of 15,291
I have question where I will buy MMCX plug to Z1r? I only see on Aliexpress, but find good quality is very problem.
The connector on the right is from AliExpress, but has worked very well. Also, if you are interested in getting an upgrade cable, both Brise Audio and Plus Sound Audio can terminate their cables with the Z1R mmcx connector.
unnamed.jpgIER-Z1R and Eros II bespoke.jpg

Jul 5, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #12,278 of 15,291
In what country do you life?
I live in Poland.
The connector on the right is from AliExpress, but has worked very well. Also, if you are interested in getting an upgrade cable, both Brise Audio and Plus Sound Audio can terminate their cables with the Z1R mmcx connector.

Yes, I getting upgrade cable, but I have Wagnus cable Crystal Lily and Aureole. I want exchange 2pin to MMCX in this cables.
I very like cables from Wagnus.

Jul 5, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #12,279 of 15,291
I live in Poland.

Yes, I getting upgrade cable, but I have Wagnus cable Crystal Lily and Aureole. I want exchange 2pin to MMCX in this cables.
I very like cables from Wagnus.
Ah okay. Well then importing is your only choice I guess.

Europe is the wrong neighbourhood for Earphone lovers, sadly.

Jul 5, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #12,280 of 15,291
@Vamp898 yes, import a only choice. I very often import products from Japan, USA this is no problem. Problem are finding a good quality MMCX to Sony.

Jul 6, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #12,282 of 15,291
Jul 6, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #12,283 of 15,291
I have the feeling i am the only one who is using 4.4mm exclusively. Is there any reason (outside of plains) to use 3.5mm? Even those tiny, smaller than lighters, USB dongles now have 4.4mm

https://www.fiio.com/ka2

I think i stopped using 3.5mm completely like 2 years ago or so. A friend of mine is using his XBA-N3 with his computer occasionally and doesn't want to carry a dongle. But he just uses an 4.4mm --> 3.5mm Adapter which works fine.

Jul 6, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #12,284 of 15,291
I have the feeling i am the only one who is using 4.4mm exclusively. Is there any reason (outside of plains) to use 3.5mm? Even those tiny, smaller than lighters, USB dongles now have 4.4mm

I think i stopped using 3.5mm completely like 2 years ago or so. A friend of mine is using his XBA-N3 with his computer occasionally and doesn't want to carry a dongle. But he just uses an 4.4mm --> 3.5mm Adapter which works fine.
90% of the time I’m 4.4 but use Dunu cables with swappable tips

Jul 6, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #12,285 of 15,291

I'm using 4.4mm but need 3.5mm for SE only outputs from Mojo, my Macbook Pro 16 and my O2/ODAC.

So I've gotten the DJ44C to convert to SE for those sources.. reason is I don't want to keep changing the cables on that tight MMCX connector. https://www.ddhifi.com/productinfo/623555.html

I do realize that the most consistent way is to push nails into the gap between IEM and cable and NOT to tug at the base of the cable. This way it just "pops off".

BTW, I just signed up for Tidal trial yesterday and using the IER-Z1R + W2 and PAW S1 dongles on 4.4mm, they're super hard to distinguish between Tidal Master and Spotify Very High rate. Maybe the "ss" and "ts" pronouncement is slightly less obvious on Tidal but that's about it.. What have you guys experienced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back