SONY IER-Z1R
Jul 6, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #12,286 of 15,296
Hi all, so far the Z1Rs are getting 100% listening time and continue to enjoy the new details all around. I'm quite happy with the sound out of my L&P W2 dongle (esp with the Z1R sound profile).

I'm thinking of getting a mid-range DAP with sufficient power and good synergy for the Z1R. What are you all using? Looking for something in the ~$1k range (maybe IBasso DX300 or FiiO M11 Plus or something) and not the WM1ZM2 or SP2000T etc.. Looking for Android DAP with Spotify + Tidal streaming with 3.5mm+4.4mm termination, no need for amazing PEQ or LDAC or ultra high DSD rates. Is replaceable batteries in DAPs (e.g. DX90) still a thing?
Bro, get an ifi micro idsd signature and a TCL phone. It blows the dx300 away for $300 less

Jul 6, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #12,287 of 15,296
I have question where I will buy MMCX plug to Z1r? I only see on Aliexpress, but find good quality is very problem.
Just be careful when it comes to Aliexpress mmcx connectors this happened to my XINHS replacement cable, luckily the broken off
bit was easily removed from the ear piece thank god 🙏😰

tempImageHcnb01.jpg

Jul 7, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #12,288 of 15,296
Very thanks for very good tips @Ohmboy. That's why I no want buy on Aliexpress.

Jul 7, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #12,289 of 15,296
I have the feeling i am the only one who is using 4.4mm exclusively. Is there any reason (outside of plains) to use 3.5mm? Even those tiny, smaller than lighters, USB dongles now have 4.4mm

https://www.fiio.com/ka2

I think i stopped using 3.5mm completely like 2 years ago or so. A friend of mine is using his XBA-N3 with his computer occasionally and doesn't want to carry a dongle. But he just uses an 4.4mm --> 3.5mm Adapter which works fine.
I doubt you are alone. Sony pushed their 4.4MM plug quite heavily across their products. Back in the day, it was hard to find products in 4.4, now its hard to find products in 2.5.

Anyways, I use the 4.4 one almost exclusively as well and I dont really see anymore need to use that 3.5MM cable. I keep it nice and coiled in the box.

Jul 7, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #12,290 of 15,296
I'm using 4.4mm but need 3.5mm for SE only outputs from Mojo, my Macbook Pro 16 and my O2/ODAC.

So I've gotten the DJ44C to convert to SE for those sources.. reason is I don't want to keep changing the cables on that tight MMCX connector. https://www.ddhifi.com/productinfo/623555.html

I do realize that the most consistent way is to push nails into the gap between IEM and cable and NOT to tug at the base of the cable. This way it just "pops off".

BTW, I just signed up for Tidal trial yesterday and using the IER-Z1R + W2 and PAW S1 dongles on 4.4mm, they're super hard to distinguish between Tidal Master and Spotify Very High rate. Maybe the "ss" and "ts" pronouncement is slightly less obvious on Tidal but that's about it.. What have you guys experienced?
I am also currently using Tidal HiFi Plus trial. I tried my best to find the same track as the ones I had offline and I feel that Tidal songs have a bit more treble presence than offline tracks. My subjective findings are a bit different from yours.

However, in Singapore, considering that I have Apple Music available and it is cheaper, if I ever need a lossless streaming service, I will go with Apple even though I don't use any of their products.

Jul 7, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #12,291 of 15,296
I'm using 4.4mm but need 3.5mm for SE only outputs from Mojo, my Macbook Pro 16 and my O2/ODAC.

So I've gotten the DJ44C to convert to SE for those sources.. reason is I don't want to keep changing the cables on that tight MMCX connector. https://www.ddhifi.com/productinfo/623555.html

I do realize that the most consistent way is to push nails into the gap between IEM and cable and NOT to tug at the base of the cable. This way it just "pops off".

BTW, I just signed up for Tidal trial yesterday and using the IER-Z1R + W2 and PAW S1 dongles on 4.4mm, they're super hard to distinguish between Tidal Master and Spotify Very High rate. Maybe the "ss" and "ts" pronouncement is slightly less obvious on Tidal but that's about it.. What have you guys experienced?
Yes, even though they look durable, I honestly doesn't have the biggest trust in MMCX connectors.

I use my DAP as Bluetooth Receiver and DAC whenever possible to not need to switch the cable at all.

But I'd rather go with an adapter too

Jul 7, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #12,292 of 15,296
Today's update: Really enjoyed the liveliness and natural feeling of Metallica's Through The Never concert! I feel transported to the concert and can hear the distinct placement of and every pluck of the guitar riffs, drum kick and snare. Also really love that there's no bass bleed when the track doesn't call for it.

Playing through the Apple Music AAC rip + PAW S1 dongle and it's good enough for me :)

Also very happy that it fits my ear well; heavy but fit issues haven't been so bad. But again, I also lived through Etymotic ER4PT so this is pleasant by comparison :gs1000smile::beyersmile:

Bro, get an ifi micro idsd signature and a TCL phone. It blows the dx300 away for $300 less
Nah, I wanna get a DAP. If I need to have two devices, I'm happy with the dongles or the Mojo.. now I just wanna plug it into a DAP and call it a day. Probably one of the mid-range Lotoos or L&Ps would be nice.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #12,293 of 15,296
Today's update: Really enjoyed the liveliness and natural feeling of Metallica's Through The Never concert! I feel transported to the concert and can hear the distinct placement of and every pluck of the guitar riffs, drum kick and snare. Also really love that there's no bass bleed when the track doesn't call for it.

Playing through the Apple Music AAC rip + PAW S1 dongle and it's good enough for me :)

Also very happy that it fits my ear well; heavy but fit issues haven't been so bad. But again, I also lived through Etymotic ER4PT so this is pleasant by comparison :gs1000smile::beyersmile:

Nah, I wanna get a DAP. If I need to have two devices, I'm happy with the dongles or the Mojo.. now I just wanna plug it into a DAP and call it a day. Probably one of the mid-range Lotoos or L&Ps would be nice.
Yes, there are so many DAP that even outperform amps and they are so versatile. If I could have only one source, it would be an DAP. That's the core of my Audio setup. Everything else is optional/additional

Jul 7, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #12,295 of 15,296
Hey guys, my Z1R was left unused for about 10 days and when I picked it up today the earhooks on the cable felt tacky/sticky. I cleaned them with alcohol and they seem ok, but has anyone had the same thing happen to their stock cable?
Apparently not for the same reason, mine will get tacky once a while, but it is due to my sweat (I am wearing it in my running on a daily basis).

Jul 7, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #12,296 of 15,296
Hey guys, my Z1R was left unused for about 10 days and when I picked it up today the earhooks on the cable felt tacky/sticky. I cleaned them with alcohol and they seem ok, but has anyone had the same thing happen to their stock cable?
Yes both on the 4.4 cable that I used and on the 3.5 cable that I’ve never used. The ear hooks also partially filled with some liquid.

Jul 7, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #12,298 of 15,296
I use mine mostly when I travel, so not that much. Every few days, looks once or twice a week at most. But haven't had something like that yet

Jul 7, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #12,299 of 15,296
Jul 7, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #12,300 of 15,296
Its because of the moisture, sometimes happens with mine. I cleaned up using isopropyl alcohol (IPA), rubbed and cleaned it up. Putting the cable (with the Z1R altogether) with desiccant will help prevent this also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back