Sony MDR-1000X
Dec 30, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #1,291 of 2,709
I'm sad I had to return these today. I loved all the features about these except for the sound. The noise cancelling was amazing. The connectivity was simple. They were comfortable and lightweight. I just could not get along with the sound signature. There was something I can't quite pinpoint about the sound that I didn't like. Maybe I've grown far too used to my v-moda crossfade wireless, but I couldn't get a sound I that made me want to spend $400 on these. I basically want noise cancelling for my bus commutes to NYC. The transit buses vary from quiet, to rumbling roars. I hate blasting music loudly so I figured noise cancelling was the way to go. I also tried the Bose QC 35 in the store, but that was only for 20 minutes. I liked them more than the Sony 1000x, but I found the bass to distort at anything but low volume. Maybe I'm a basshead and didn't know it.  I'll try the Sennheiser momentum wireless next. 

on the subject of creaking. neither the one in the store, nor the one I purchased for a few days had any creaking whatsoever. I did notice a noise cancelling "artifact" however. When I walked around with them i'd get a sudden noise similar to someone tapping on a microphone. It was random, but only happened with anc on. 
The CFW is pretty coloured sound wise. 1000x is pretty neutral.

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #1,292 of 2,709
I don't follow. Can you describe your procedure a bit more?

My first post here.

Want to share something about creaking noise. First please see Powerwolf post in page 62, this is the root cause of it.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/818871/sony-mdr-1000x/915#post_13041864

My fix is simpler. I just apply lubricant at the friction point.

I use bike chain lube (as a cyclist I have it around), the dry wax type something like this:
Finishline wax lube.
http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/chain-lubricants/wax-lube

I put a drop of this lube at the corner of a very thin sheet of paper. And the pry this paper around all 4 corners. it leave only microscopic amount of lubricant on the headphone that you can't notice it and the problem is completely gone.

Look the pictures in the link, my method was the same but without lube.
I just uses normal labels (cutted Avery Zweckform) placing them in each of the 4 corners.
After short testing without annoying noise i removed the labels and since 4 weeks everything is fine.

Either the little glue from labels have the same effect like the lube, or there was a very little contact by dust/dirt or something.

So it´s very little problem with huge effects

Good luck

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #1,294 of 2,709
old post

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #1,295 of 2,709
I'm so bored with active noise cancelling headphone development. I use the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 AEBT and chose these over the Bose QC 35 as I think the Senns have the edge on sound quality while the Bose's are superior in noise cancelling. But it seems like we're getting to a point of diminishing returns. I've tried some of the newer active noise cancelling headphones at stores and they're either on-par or just a wee bit better, not justifying the money to upgrade. Sure they can do some design tricks and make the earcups swivel or lay flat, throw in the latest blue tooth or NFC but they're not really going anywhere.
I've written to some of these companies and told them that I won't upgrade until they make the "crying baby" noise cancelling headphones. We all know that all the noise cancelling headphones negate lower frequencies which is why they're so great on airplanes. Sennheiser wrote some BS about their noise cancelling technology that deliberately doesn't cancel the human voices so that you can hear important messages if your traveling etc. That's such BS. Instead I have to listen to idiotic conversations unless I have music on. What it comes down to is that no one, not even the revered "Bose laboratories" have been able to make a set of noise cancelling cans that can negate both low and high frequencies. As it is now you can sit on a plane, put on your $400 noise cancelling cans, start to relax as the noise from the jet engines fades away and then the baby behind you screams for eight hours. Yea, I'm an A-hole, I don't like screaming or crying kids or babies and I don't want to hear them and I have to wonder what's so difficult about negating those frequencies. That has to be the next step in the evolution of noise cancelling headphones. 'Cause otherwise I'm just gonna enjoy my current cans for years to come and no manufacturer is going to get any new fresh green cash from me by way of an upgrade. Like I said, nothing's really happening and the competition about who is the best noise canceller is almost to the point where you can't even here any difference between them. 
Somebody (you, the manufacturers) please make a set of noise cancelling cans that will negate low frequencies, normal human voices and crying babies. You do that and I will pay top, top dollar for your product.

Well stated. It would be interesting to know specifically why manufacturers can not block those types of frequencies. I'm guessing that noise cancellation technology is just not there yet and in time, improvements to the technology will get better and better.

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #1,296 of 2,709
The CFW is pretty coloured sound wise. 1000x is pretty neutral.

True, but it wasn't really the low end that bothered me about the 1000x. I'm sorry I can't be more specific with frequencies or terminology. I think it was something in the mids at lower/medium volume that I didn't like at all. When played loudly, the mids came alive, but I don't want to listen to music loudly - that's why I'm looking for noise cancelers in the first place. 

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #1,297 of 2,709
I just got these headphones and they do have creak on the right side as well as rattle. The problem is I can only notice the rattle while sitting on the bus. When the bus goes over bumps, I notice a rattle or kind of a like a spring effect for the right ear cup. When I'm walking, I don't really notice it. 

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #1,298 of 2,709

Somebody (you, the manufacturers) please make a set of noise cancelling cans that will negate low frequencies, normal human voices and crying babies.

Your solution is passive isolation. In-ear monitors can deliver both total isolation and highest sound quality. There are also full size headphones designed specifically for isolation (like this).

The challenge with active noise cancellation on all frequencies is to do it without destroying the sound quality of the source. I think they are still pretty far from achieving it for a consumer product.

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #1,299 of 2,709
True, but it wasn't really the low end that bothered me about the 1000x. I'm sorry I can't be more specific with frequencies or terminology. I think it was something in the mids at lower/medium volume that I didn't like at all. When played loudly, the mids came alive, but I don't want to listen to music loudly - that's why I'm looking for noise cancelers in the first place. 
Agreed. I sold my QC35s and purchased the 1000Xs a couple of months back. Initially I was blown away by the features (touch controls, ambient sound, optimizer, etc). I also thought the sound quality was really good, and still do. However, 3 days ago I returned the 1000Xs and got the QC35s back. Reasons? 1) Simultaneous pairing. 95% of the time I use my headphones with my iPad and iPhone. I began to get very frustrated with being unable to answer my phone when on my iPad with the headphones on. I would have to remove them. QC35s handle this beautifully and I see the value in this feature. 2) Low Volume listening. Initially I thought that the 1000Xs blew away the QC35s when it came to sound quality. After spending months with the 1000X and going back to the QC35s, I no longer feel this is the case. The sound quality between the two is very close and I prefer one over the other in different scenarios. The 1000X are more musical and exciting at higher volumes (70% and higher). Highs and Mids are slightly clearer than on the QC35s at the higher volumes. However, the QC35s have a cleaner sound to me. More natural and relaxing. I find myself getting lost in the music more when listening. The weird thing is, to my ears, the QC35s sound clearer at lower volumes. At lower volumes the 1000X doesn't sound as clear and balanced. I'm sure this has to do with the QC35s Dynamic EQ, which it's obvious I like. I also prefer the QC35s for Movies and Gaming for 2 reasons, the QC35s have better Sub Bass and a slightly bigger sound stage.

The 1000Xs have definitely put Bose on notice and are just as good when it comes to noise cancelling. For my use cases I still prefer the QC35s, but make no mistake, it was not an easy choice and this is the first time I can say that when it comes to noise cancellers and Bose.

Dec 31, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #1,300 of 2,709
I can happily report that the ANC of 1000x is killing the sound fireworks quite properly. Of course if the idiots fire those things really close then some sound will come through but it is really nice to spend the evening without the sound of continuous firework farting.

Dec 31, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #1,301 of 2,709
I can happily report that the ANC of 1000x is killing the sound fireworks quite properly. Of course if the idiots fire those things really close then some sound will come through but it is really nice to spend the evening without the sound of continuous firework farting.

Can confirm. I'm using them for calls and just noticed how quiet everything gets. Depends on places but at least in the Netherlands nights like these sound like a warzone. Since late afternoon.

Which reminds me, have an awesome 2017 everyone!

Dec 31, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #1,302 of 2,709
Finally had a chance to try a pair of these in a store today. Unfortunately I was stuck listening to the canned tunes but I at least got an idea of what they were like. The ANC is really good and I found them to be quite roomy in regards to ear cup size. The design is definitely lighter than the 100ABN and I think they are more solidly built than the 100ABN as well. Sonically speaking these are more balanced than the 100ABN. I will take the PXC550 the next time I go so can do a bit of comparison. Hopefully I can do a true a comparison using my phone and music.

I might have to sell off some stuff so I can afford to buy a pair to do a real test of them.

Jan 1, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #1,304 of 2,709
When I have the noise cancelling on with no music playing, I can still hear people talking to me. Is this supposed to happen or is there something defective with mine?

I was hoping the NC mode would completely block everything out, and the ambient mode would allow voices in.

Jan 1, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #1,305 of 2,709
No consumer ANC blocks that much noise. The ANC to that level would ruin the music. Only aviator ANC does that and they don't play music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back