Sony MDR-1000X
Feb 18, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #1,652 of 2,709
I got mine 1000x from yesterday. Some problems with changing sound quality/stable connection.
Pairing with note 4 and s7edge and still not working :frowning2:
Still just stable conn option available, NC+power button seems not working for me, already tried with factory reset. Any?

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #1,653 of 2,709
have you tried changing the bt connection mode to low quality? there is A button combination to change it. can't remember it though. but it's in the documentation. In my case it helped with the unstable connection.

Feb 19, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #1,655 of 2,709
have you tried changing the bt connection mode to low quality? there is A button combination to change it. can't remember it though. but it's in the documentation. In my case it helped with the unstable connection.

My connection is good, so i wanna try sound quality priority, but can't set it.
When HHP are off, i should hold NC to get switch sound quality/unstable connection priority options? But i doesn't work for me :X Just nothing happens, HP are on and thats it.  :frowning2:

edit, after couple of restarts combionation get worked, problem solved, thanks !

Feb 19, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #1,656 of 2,709
I got a pair of these on Friday and I'm very impressed. I'd previously owned the QC35 and, while the noise cancelling was excellent on the Bose, the sound quality was somewhat lacking with a rather thin and flat signature. The Sonys have more body and thump. The ability to listen with the NC turned off is a big deal for me, too. I'm often listening when I'm outside, and wind is the enemy of the noise cancelling microphones.

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #1,659 of 2,709
i'm considering this pair of phones purely for travel, mostly on plane.  are these comfortable enough to sleep in on a plane?  for my purposes, would the QC30 or 35 be better?

I was in a quandary over the QC35 and Sony's so bought both and although I haven't tested them on a plane, my extended listening tests - approx 6 hours continuous use, I can say without doubt the Bose are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn and would in my opinion be much easier to sleep with than the Sonys. The ear pads are bigger and softer but the biggest difference is the headband which is like a cushion on the Bose whereas it is firmer on the Sonys and the centre really feels like if digs into the top of you scalp. You can feel the difference immediately and over long listening periods I found the Sonys simply too painful. I have no experience of the QC30 but do have the Soundsports which I think the eartips are the same. Again, super comfy for earbuds and very secure but they are earphones meaning you will feel them digging in over longer periods and are no match for the ear pillows of the QC35 in comfort terms - I also can't imagine being able to sleep with that neckband either.

Worth bearing in mind that you can't use Bluetooth on planes (not sure if the QC30s work any other way) so you may wish to save a few bob getting the QC25s or QC15s if you can find a good deal. I have the QC15s and they are nearly as comfy as the 35s + you never have to worry about running out of charge for NC as you can bring along a spare AAA battery. You can also pick up an aftermarket cable with remote and mic cheap off eBay.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #1,660 of 2,709
Can or has anyone directly compared the sound quality of the MDR-1000x to the Backbeat Pro 2 please?

I have the Backbeat Pro and looking to upgrade the Pro 2 or MDR-1000x but I can't justify a $200 price increment.
Here in Australia the MDR's are $499 AUD and Pro 2 are $299 AUD.

THANK YOU!

Feb 22, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #1,661 of 2,709
You're paying 200 for the ANC?

Feb 22, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #1,662 of 2,709
I was in a quandary over the QC35 and Sony's so bought both and although I haven't tested them on a plane, my extended listening tests - approx 6 hours continuous use, I can say without doubt the Bose are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn and would in my opinion be much easier to sleep with than the Sonys. The ear pads are bigger and softer but the biggest difference is the headband which is like a cushion on the Bose whereas it is firmer on the Sonys and the centre really feels like if digs into the top of you scalp. You can feel the difference immediately and over long listening periods I found the Sonys simply too painful. I have no experience of the QC30 but do have the Soundsports which I think the eartips are the same. Again, super comfy for earbuds and very secure but they are earphones meaning you will feel them digging in over longer periods and are no match for the ear pillows of the QC35 in comfort terms - I also can't imagine being able to sleep with that neckband either.

Worth bearing in mind that you can't use Bluetooth on planes (not sure if the QC30s work any other way) so you may wish to save a few bob getting the QC25s or QC15s if you can find a good deal. I have the QC15s and they are nearly as comfy as the 35s + you never have to worry about running out of charge for NC as you can bring along a spare AAA battery. You can also pick up an aftermarket cable with remote and mic cheap off eBay.

Thanks strider1391 and tgx78 for your views.  Kind of disappointed it's not comfy given it seems equal or better than the Bose in every other department in reviews.

Looks like Bose it is for me then...

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #1,663 of 2,709
I wanted to like these soooo bad. I have wanted some nice noise cancelling headphones for a while now and I don't usually splurge on things like $400(+tax) headphones. I watched what seemed like a hundred different YouTube reviews and decided to take a risk last week and buy these Sony MDR-1000X headphones.  What a huge disappointment for me. They have some really cool features but they fall flat in several other areas.

1) They have super shallow cups so my ears are uncomfortable after like one song. I can't even stand to wear them for any more than about 30 mins because they hurt so bad. I don't have any bigger than average ears so my situation shouldn't be unique.

2) The connection with Windows is awful as well and there is constant cutting in and out. It's a similar effect to if you had a cord with a "short" in it and it kept crackling and cutting in and out. My Motherboard has built in Bluetooth but I even grabbed a BT dongle and got same results. There are LOADS of people complaining about this in various online places I found as well.

3) Bass is actually pretty awesome as long as you don't listen very loud.  As soon as you turn it up it just becomes phhhhbbbt phhhhbbbt phhhhbbbt. And I don't mean turned up to obscene volume levels, I mean just turned up a bit.

4) If the battery runs low you can't connect them to an iPhone 7 because there is no lightning connector cable. It only comes with a 3.5mm cable. I contacted Sony and they sent me a link for their parts affiliate called Encompass for a $50 cable (!!!) named "Sony Cable (with Plug)" and that's it. No description of what it is. No picture of the product. Nothing. Oh, and it shows it's out of stock for the next 3 months! Yay!  (this) All the ones on Amazon have terrible reviews so there's just no option to connect the headphones to the most popular phone on the market? Lame. Lame. Lame. These are getting returned tomorrow.

(edit: I contacted Encompass about the details of that cable and that's actually just the 3.5mm > 3.5mm replacement cable for $50. Not even a Lightning cable. Apparently they don't make/offer a 3.5mm > Lightning cable. So your only options are the cheap sketchy cables on Amazon/eBay.)

Feb 24, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #1,664 of 2,709
  I wanted to like these soooo bad. I have wanted some nice noise cancelling headphones for a while now and I don't usually splurge on things like $400(+tax) headphones. I watched what seemed like a hundred different YouTube reviews and decided to take a risk last week and buy these Sony MDR-1000X headphones.  What a huge disappointment for me. They have some really cool features but they fall flat in several other areas.

1) They have super shallow cups so my ears are uncomfortable after like one song. I can't even stand to wear them for any more than about 30 mins because they hurt so bad. I don't have any bigger than average ears so my situation shouldn't be unique.

2) The connection with Windows is awful as well and there is constant cutting in and out. It's a similar effect to if you had a cord with a "short" in it and it kept crackling and cutting in and out. My Motherboard has built in Bluetooth but I even grabbed a BT dongle and got same results. There are LOADS of people complaining about this in various online places I found as well.

3) Bass is actually pretty awesome as long as you don't listen very loud.  As soon as you turn it up it just becomes phhhhbbbt phhhhbbbt phhhhbbbt. And I don't mean turned up to obscene volume levels, I mean just turned up a bit.

4) If the battery runs low you can't connect them to an iPhone 7 because there is no lightning connector cable. It only comes with a 3.5mm cable. I contacted Sony and they sent me a link for their parts affiliate called Encompass for a $50 cable (!!!) named "Sony Cable (with Plug)" and that's it. No description of what it is. No picture of the product. Nothing. Oh, and it shows it's out of stock for the next 3 months! Yay!  (this) All the ones on Amazon have terrible reviews so there's just no option to connect the headphones to the most popular phone on the market? Lame. Lame. Lame. These are getting returned tomorrow.

Great review and input. One always considers and upgrade when a new product hits the market. I must say that I am extremey satisfied with Sennheiser Momentum M2 AEBT. The noise cancelling is not best-in-class but it is not bad; it's just not the best. But if you can accept "very good" noise canceling together with great sound and extremely satisfying bass then these are the headphones of choice. I think that these Sennheiser noise cancellers are better that the new model that has come out since the Momentums. Prices have also come down on the Momentums so you might have the possibility to get a good deal on great sounding active noise cancellers.

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #1,665 of 2,709
I just received my headphones. I also have the problem of clicking, as soon as I press the SONY logo on the left with two fingers I get this famous clicking, too disturbing for me because I hear it even during music with a medium volume ... I will make an exchange before having to use a lubricant. I tried to put a label between the two corners of the left earpads but don't work for me...

Edit : Problem find, it's between earcups and headband; so I put labels for the moment, and for after, what's lub I can use ? I don't if it's the metal or the plastic involded...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back