Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Apr 20, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #166 of 1,177
So apparently everything is smaller. Smaller ear cups, ear pads openings, and headband. The headband part is sad. The MDR-1A is great that it's one of very few I've worn that I did not have to fully extend to get to fit (I have them up 1/2 click on each side, one click on each side is too much, one click on one side and fully extended on the other works too but is a little crooked). That will forever be my biggest issue with headphones in general. Anyone with more than a slightly above average head will find 90% won't fit comfortably, even fully extended. So, I'll stay MDR-1A then.
Yes I too found that the pads were smaller than the 1A's, the ear holes/cups are definitely smaller as well as the headband. I have sent them back and using my 1A's again and I like them better I have to say. I guess I am a bass head as I like the bass better and don't hear much difference in the highs. I listen to a lot of techno, dance, edm, rap so I guess I like bloated bass lol. I find the 1A's are louder as well without any distortion.
What ? I have compared them 1v1 and the headband is bigger on the 1Am2, also the earpads are barely smaller but extend way easier. IMO the 1Am2 is much better when it comes to comfort

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #167 of 1,177
Not sure it the headband is not as extendable or even more, its just not as thick because they wanted to save the weight. I prefer a nice sized headphone on my head, I don't have a problem with the weight of my 1A's. I find the 1A's pads are much softer and not as rigid but that could be from wear.

If you make a headphone light enough, headband issues become non-issues. The mdr-ma900 has only a tiny section of cloth padding in the middle of the headband, makes contact with the head only at the very top which would usually mean trouble, but it's the most comfortable headphone I've ever tried. Why? Cuz it's very light and the headband is suspending little weight on the head.

The 1AM2 is even lighter than the ma900.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #168 of 1,177
I am talking about the thickness of the band not the extended length, the headband on the 1A is definitely thicker. Don't really see much difference in comfort IMO but I always thought the 1A's were very comfortable. The ear pads are just a little smaller yes but I don't find they extend easier at all. I just don't feel that they are much of an upgrade over the 1A's but everyone has their own opinion. If I didn't have the 1A's I would buy these for sure but my 1A's are in great shape and don't hear a big enough difference to warrant the upgrade for $450CDN all in. I wanted to hear a big difference for sure but didn't, that is why they have been returned. Maybe I was expecting too much.

Apr 25, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #171 of 1,177
Please tell me the difference between 1am2 and 100aap. I am using 100aap from more than two years and liked it very much. If the difference is notable I am keen on upgrading.

Are you in India?

I dont think these are available here, just yet. Will have to be imported.

As for your question, I have heard mdr 1a and 100aap. Difference is significant. Especially in soundstage. Mdr 1a has a coherent well formed image, unlike 100aap that has weak center image. 100aap more like warmish neutral signature while mdr 1a have big, kinda bloated bass depending on what you drive it with.

Why dont you join headphonezone audiophile community page on Facebook. We have around 3k members. All headphone enthusiasts from India.

Apr 26, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #172 of 1,177
this thing is super light .... didn;t believe it until i bought it
for sound ... well since it wired , combine with ifi idsd black = great combo for PC use
is this the upgraded mdr1a version ? or just another new line up for sony ? and YES finally bass is more reasonable than my old mdr1a ...

Apr 30, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #174 of 1,177
Has anyone had the chance to compare Sony MDR-1AM2 with Sennheiser HD600?
I have the MDR-1A (not the MDR-1AM2) and the HD 600, but even without testing the 1AM2, I can tell you they are completely different beasts.

The Sony's are closed, while the HD 600's are open. Naturally, there is quite a difference in bass response, with the 1A's giving you that emotional thump, while the HD 600's are geared more for critical listening and shines with mids & highs. The HD 600 is also not a portable headphone, so that's another thing to consider. Oh, and don't forget Impedance @ 300 Ohms, so you'll definitely need an AMP to drive it (unless you have an LG G6 or above). The 1A @ 24 Ohms (International Version @ 48 Ohms) is far more versatile and travels better.

Also, the feedback from other users is that the 1A and 1AM2 are like siblings, meaning the 1AM2 is a "refinement" of the original vs. a completely new headphone with disparate characteristics. The HD 600, however, is just a completely different type of headphone. As an illustration, if the 1A and 1AM2 are different breeds of dogs, the HD600 would be like a monkey.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #178 of 1,177
......and that means ???
What else could it possibly mean? LOL! It means they are a completely different type of headphone. I have both. I would not use the HD 600 in a busy coffee shop, nor would I use the MDR-1A for critical listening sessions in a quiet environment. Both have their uses, the MDR-1A being more fun, mobile, while the HD 600 when you're in the mood for critical listening with hi res source material.

Let me throw out a vegetable analogy; the Sony MDR-1A would be Broccoli and the HD 600 would be Lettuce. Point being, they are different, hence the illustrations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back