Sony MDR-7520
Mar 5, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #1,129 of 2,535
When was the 7520 released? I guess it must not be a very popular headphone since it's so rare to find one in the FS/T forums. I've been trying to buy/trade for one for a few weeks now and nada...

Mar 5, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #1,130 of 2,535
  When was the 7520 released? I guess it must not be a very popular headphone since it's so rare to find one in the FS/T forums. I've been trying to buy/trade for one for a few weeks now and nada...

Couple years ago.  Just buy direct from Sonic Electronix (out of stock at the moment) or somewhere like B&H Photo.  That's what I did.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758138-REG/Sony_MDR_7520_MDR_7520_Professional_Studio_Headphones.html

Mar 5, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #1,131 of 2,535

Couple years ago.  Just buy direct from Sonic Electronix (out of stock at the moment) or somewhere like B&H Photo.  That's what I did.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758138-REG/Sony_MDR_7520_MDR_7520_Professional_Studio_Headphones.html

It's not that I've had trouble finding them, it's finding them for (what I think is a) reasonable price. Given the comparisons with the NAD HP50, which can be had for $250 used or lower, I wanted to find a Sony for at least under $300. There's just so few out there, which is a little odd given the reviews these things have been getting.

I ended up giving up and buying a refurb on ebay. Hopefully it gets here soon, so I can compare with the HP50 and whatever else I have in my aresenal at the moment.

Mar 5, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #1,133 of 2,535

Released in 2012. They have been around but it's only until recently has this thread become popular on Head-Fi and I doubt they have ever sold very well. There is very few reviews, no frequency response graphs except that one which I think has dodgy treble measurements and they are pretty much an unknown. With the LCP drivers and magnesium alloy housing I can imagine they were expensive to produce and Sony is going to discontinue them in the US soon. Hopefully, Tyll can get a pair, measure and review them within this century. They may get a boost in popularity as a result.

Mar 5, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #1,134 of 2,535

It's not that I've had trouble finding them, it's finding them for (what I think is a) reasonable price. Given the comparisons with the NAD HP50, which can be had for $250 used or lower, I wanted to find a Sony for at least under $300. There's just so few out there, which is a little odd given the reviews these things have been getting.

I ended up giving up and buying a refurb on ebay. Hopefully it gets here soon, so I can compare with the HP50 and whatever else I have in my aresenal at the moment.

People who  have the Sony don't let them go easily because it is that good.
Sonically they are above the usual 300/350$ Hp, offering outstanding qualities such as details all across the FR, exceptional quality bass,
pleasing neutrality yet still musical, very efficient no need of amping to get the most out of them, they sound amazing just out of an ipod or sansa clip, pleasing design and comfort (though some people may feel some discomfort with ears touching the inner grill). Let's not forget the removable cable option with almost any 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable.

They can easily be considered one of the best closed HP under 500/600$. 

If only they had bigger soundtage they would have been one of the best closed under 1000$ IMO 

Mar 5, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #1,135 of 2,535

Released in 2012. They have been around but it's only until recently has this thread become popular on Head-Fi and I doubt they have ever sold very well. There is very few reviews, no frequency response graphs except that one which I think has dodgy treble measurements and they are pretty much an unknown. With the LCP drivers and magnesium alloy housing I can imagine they were expensive to produce and Sony is going to discontinue them in the US soon. Hopefully, Tyll can get a pair, measure and review them within this century. They may get a boost in popularity as a result.

And the price will rise to its original...just because of this thread their price rose since January 2014.

Mar 5, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #1,136 of 2,535
Ah, a fellow CO person :) (just moved here recently).

Haven't been listening much lately, and haven't been trying other cans either. But still, everytime I do put them on they still sound very sweet :) So detailed, yet musical. The other day I let my SO listen to them and she was blown away by them. She actually kept wanting to turn up the volume because the music kept sucking her in (had to force her to not turn it up too far, for fear of hearing damage). :)

In the end, these are very good cans. You get a lot of bang for your buck. There is nothing really wrong with them, it all comes down to personal preference in terms of sound signature. And yeah, the bass is definitely there, but I don't find it overpowering, and it's very detailed. Perhaps a slight mid-bass hump, but that can easily be EQ'd out if it bothers you.

The bottom line is that for a monitor can, especially for impact and! PRAT" the Sony7520 are in my book one of the best if not the best "monitor" type can.
Problem lies that they are, as said, "north of neutral" in bass, And,
Depending on your hearing and other factors, may have some sibilants but I am thinking its just the overall sound too intense.
For longer listening sessions I would rather choose the focal spirit pro as they have bigger soundstage and not as brutal on your ears with transients while being just as detailed.
I know I said the Sony are superior and technically they are but for the sensitive ear or "just me" I would use both.
The Sony for recording sessions and and the focal spirit pro for final product.
That is if you use as monitors.
The NAD would only use for vocals.
I know thats too nit picking but just for you guys to have a better idea of where these cans shine..
I should have an idea what I am talking about as
I have a degree in recording engineer although my career went elsewhere :)

I will be posting all three up for sale later as I don't need monitor type cans(!)
Cheers.

Mar 5, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #1,138 of 2,535

where are you getting your information?

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #1,139 of 2,535

You sure it wasn't a seasonal uptick?

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Sony-MDR-7520-Headphones/product/B004Z58VZ2?active=amazon&context=browse

(Although amazon graph is missing from this graph, same behavior)

Since this thread as took off around December 2013 the price is rising..it was 319$ at BHaudio, Audiorama new for Blackfriday then it went back to 349$ same with Sonic electronix..now its 380$..
and it will rise to 400$ and above if the demand continue...
original price was 499$ 

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #1,140 of 2,535
The price was quite depressed before Head-Fi noticed these. I was there during the time 7520 was pretty much ignored, thought to be the same exact headphone as the Z1000. The price/demand has definitely gone up and is not a seasonal thing. They're well worth the current price IMO, but of course everyone wants things as cheap as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back