Sony MDR-CD2000 loose headband
Nov 19, 2022 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

digitalreferee

Head-Fier
Hi all, I recently came in possession of a pair of MDR-CD2000. It works very well safe for one small problem, the headband which I assume to normally be self-adjusting is no longer doing its job properly.

1668899116500.png

(photo for reference)

It's quite easy to remove it from the headphones themselves, there is one philips-head screw on either side that keeps it fastened to the yoke. Then it's a matter of a couple of screws on each plastic piece to remove on each side of the fabric headband to get access to the part where the tension cables go inside the fabric of the headband itself.

Once I opened those rectangular grey plastic caps however some tiny bits of clear plastic fell out from the inside, so I have to assume at least part of the tension mechanism is broken. The only problem is that there's no way to tell exactly what's under the fabric of the headband without cutting into it since it's sewn together, something which I'd rather not do unless I have a replacement for it.

Has anyone had any experience with repairing these? From a quick cursory search online it seems like replacement parts for the headphone can no longer be found (Sony catalogues of the era list replacement cables as well as earpads but these are long out of stock) but I'm hoping it's possible to hack out some solution to have a working headband.

Nov 19, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 4
Nov 20, 2022 at 5:40 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the link, however the site is not showing me any prices and this error message shows up on every page:

Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 11.39.49.png

Edit: found them on this other similar website but they seem out of stock.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #4 of 4
If it's the euro version of Encompass, you can put the order in and it will just ship when it's available. I ordered oem pads out of stock from Encompass and they finally shipped after 9 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back