Sony MDR CD3000 (horrible)
Apr 4, 2013 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

tankteh

New Head-Fier
I've been using these headphones for the whole day now. I've tried them with and without and amplifier. I wouldn't ever recommend these. They have a poor build quality. I'd say 80% plastic. I got new earpads, but the headband material and old earpads get all sticky and crumble apart. I can't complain about the sound quality though. They are spectacular. But at high volume they seem to have a slight buzzing sound. I can't believe these are so sought after. Maybe people just want the amazing driver. But the headphone itself is disgraceful for a high end japanese product. First the sa5000. This has been the worst headphone experience. I'm done with sony. Have any of you had similar experiences with this can?

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 31
Some of the best sounding headphones make extensive use of plastics.  If you discredit based on that alone you;d be ruling out 90% of the headphones in existence.

Its not uncommon for ear-pad foam and cushion to deteriorate over time.  Those cans have been around for a long time... its understandable a well used pair will need some work. 

No experience with those cans specifically, sony makes some very good, and some not so good sounding cans though.  I wouldn't rule out the entire brand based on just the 1-2 you have tried. 

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 31
This is taken from an old review (2003)

Quote:

For such an expensive product, the perceived build quality is only average to me. They are big, clumsy headphones and as such, feel flimsy. The headband which rests on your head does not look like it would last long, the pads do not look hard wearing, and the cups are grey plastic. They do not look as classy and elegant as the Beyerdynamic DT880, nor do they look as robust. They are good looking in a modern way, but their size does feel somewhat over the top for me, but there is no doubt they are impressive to look at.

Average build quality + old parts = disappointment of that particular model. Not fair to judge the entire brand though. 

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 31
Its strange. The detail and treble of these is outstanding. Then I try a sr 407 and it demolishes it. Granted the cd3000 has more impact. But the 407 has a larger sound stage, more detail, transparency and better build quality. Maybe dynamics just aren't my thing. I just placed an order for a new set of ear pads and headband assembly. So in total these cost me 600 dollars. Such a disappointment.

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Quote:

Average build quality + old parts = disappointment of that particular model. Not fair to judge the entire brand though. 

but the sound quality is fantastic. Maybe if I found a used r10 It would please me.

edit:sees price of r10. Hates sony even more.

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:
Probably because yours is really old? The cans themselves should be ~2 decades old now. 

Oh. And plastic is for dampening/weight. Unless you wanted more weight on ya :3

I'd love more weight. If only they had a headphone that was in between the cd3000's embarrassing build quality an the r10. Like a dx1000 but from sony.

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #8 of 31
I had a cd3000 in like new conditon. except for the plastic hinges/yokes I thought these were wonderful, one of the best headphones i've ever heard

May 22, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:
I had a cd3000 in like new conditon. except for the plastic hinges/yokes I thought these were wonderful, one of the best headphones i've ever heard

X2. I like the sound a lot.

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #10 of 31

Quote:

but the sound quality is fantastic. Maybe if I found a used r10 It would please me.

edit:sees price of r10. Hates sony even more.

You seriously fault Sony for that? That headphone is their statement model, no holds barred, they put everything they had into it. It was $2.5k for a reason. It's the absolute pinnacle of their engineering; no-expense-spared, no compromises anywhere. They used luxury materials and production processes the likes of which haven't been seen in a headphone since. Sony actually lost money on every single R10 they sold. 

Even ignoring that, Sony has absolutely no control of the prices people will pay to get ahold of a rare, collectible headphone like the R10. Same as how AKG can't control the prices of the K1000 now that it's out of production. Or any company can control the prices of ANYTHING out of production for that matter. 

Jan 19, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #11 of 31
If you are thinking of selling these please let me know.  I have been looking for these cans for a while...
Thanks,

x-plane aka Dennis

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #12 of 31
  If you are thinking of selling these please let me know.  I have been looking for these cans for a while...
Thanks,

x-plane aka Dennis

Be prepared to shell out $800+ if you do find one, and you'd better do it quickly as the high end CD headphones (as well as the R10) are nearing the end of their lifespan...

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #13 of 31
So if I were to choose a contemporary to the CD3000 what in your opinion comes close to it's sonic signature? Denon?

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #14 of 31
markl D5000 is not even close to the signature of the CD 3K. I haven´t heard any headphone that remind me of it. I do agree about the image quality I was disappointed in the state of mine. The headband was pretty much finished it´s just the thinnest bit of elastic band. I don´t know the name and the ear pads should really not wear like that. But I will see how my DX 1000 is after two decades but it feels like the CD3K is well below average particularly at it´s price point.

But I love the sound I just wish it would isolate better and clamp a bit harder on my skull. I got an improvement when the headband snapped. I could then hook up it so I got a bit more tention. The other side looks ready to snap too maybe should help it on it´s way.

I suppose SA5000 give a better impression but that was a seriously bad sounding headphone.

Jan 23, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #15 of 31
  So if I were to choose a contemporary to the CD3000 what in your opinion comes close to it's sonic signature? Denon?

There is no direct analog to the CD3000 that I know of. the CD3k has an extremely flat (neutral) signature and sounds damn phenomenal, completely unlike any modern headphone I know of, closed or open.

Perhaps try a KEF M500, I hear that's supposed to be flat sounding as well. But it's probably not as refined.

The Denons and SA5000 are nowhere close to the performance of the CDs either, especially not the SA5k (gross...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back