Sony MDR EX600 VS Sony MDR EX700 VS HiFiMan RE-262 VS Shure SE315
Dec 28, 2011 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

cryptod

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone , I should buy a pair of in-ear headphones, High-end (120 to 200 ) for my good old creative zen x-fi 16GB. Whereas I usually listen to classical music, jazz, old rock, in essence, I need some earphones quite linear,and not the usual unbalanced bass!

the choice is between these:

Sony MDR EX600 
Sony MDR EX-700
HiFiMan RE-262
Shure SE315

in your opinion, what could be the most appropriate model?

Thanks to all 
smile.gif

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #4 of 4
Erm...I think I have been shouting about this on the forums for the last few days, but there is an earphone, or In-Ear Monitor (IEM), that trounces all your selections, and is cheaper. Originally I thought it was a (Cyber) Boxing Day Deal only, but it is still going strong.

The IEM in question is the Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro's, which use balanced triple-driver armatures. And on Amazon.co.uk, they cost £109.99. Let me repeat that, £109.99. There is no IEM on the market, certainly no dual or triple-driver IEM's, that can beat these six year old and (at least on Head-Fi and other headphone blogs) legendary IEM's at that price. Amazon have extended this deal to other territories, so check if you can get the deal where you live.

Here is the thread I started about this (first link includes links to the Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com deals), and other topics I have posted in.

1. Amazon UK & USA Cyber Monday (Boxing Day) UE Triple Fi 10 Pro Deals...
  2. Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Appreciation Thread - Page 349
  3. Newbie Advice on new IEM's - Upgrade from S4's - Page 2
  4. Shure se425 or Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10??
  5. TF10 or UE customs?
  6. The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - No affiliate links permitted! - Page 239

Just to reinforce, the UE Triple.Fi 10 Pro's were once hailed as amazing IEM's, alongside the then Shure SE530/SL500 and the Westone 3/UM3X, prior to 2010. Since then, the headphone world has changed a lot, and there are better triple-driver IEM's out there (my vote for the best is the Audio-Technica CK100 based on reviews), and you can get quad-driver (should be tetra-driver in truth) IEM from Westone, the Westone 4.
Yet if you want your first foray into the upper-end of the IEM market, you cannot go wrong with the UE Triple.F 10 Pro's, and again at this deal price, there is nothing to compare against sonically or technically (though taste, preference and your needs are still applicable, so for that reason, the Triple.Fi's may not be for everyone; I make my argument based on price, quality, SQ, and previous experience with UE and their discontinued Super.FI 5 Pro's).

I also ordered the Comply TX-500 foam tips from Amazon.co.uk, as these are the most comfortable tips from Comply and have an integrated, (supposedly) SQ transparent wax-guard, which is a major priority for me.
Whatever IEM you choose, see if the Comply TX series (or any of their ranges) is good enough for your needs (each TX series number is designed for certain earphones, use the Comply website's 'Shop foam tips' drop-down menu from the top of the webpage to help you find the right tips for the IEM you have chosen, or are choosing).

Outside that deal, I would go for either the Sony MDR-EX700 (£72.97 1st hand from sellers on Amazon.co.uk, and those sellers are 'Fulfilled by Amazon', so its safe), or the Shure SE315 (Black or Clear, at about £128); I don't know too much about the HiFiMan RE-262, but the brand has been very famous, so wait for another member to put forth his opinion. However, might I interest you in the Sony MDR-EX1000, as that can be found for £296.99 on Amazon.co.uk right now...
Good luck on whatever you choose.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back