Sony MDR-M1ST - Sony's 2019 Studio Monitor Headphone
Aug 23, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #47 of 207
Well, he auditioned them but as expected he couldn't give me more info other than "The music files on my iphone don't sound very good with them." and " They only come with a bih plug cable and not a standard 2.5mm one". Well, he'll be there 10 more days, so I still have time to think about it.

Aug 24, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #48 of 207
Aug 24, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #49 of 207
Here is a pretty good overview and review of the MDR-M1ST.

https://www.phileweb.com/review/article/201908/24/3550.html

It's in Japanese, so just use Google Translate (unless you speak Japanese, of course).
Interesting review, however the description of the bass concerns me, the 1a mkii was similar to the z7, it was a slightly loose and flabby bass that had some bleed ibto mids. While I loved it, it most definitly is not reference by any standard. Since this is marketed as a reference monitor I hope it has a tighter and much more in line bass section

Aug 27, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #50 of 207
Anyone got their hands on it yet? :)

Aug 31, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #51 of 207
Anyone got their hands on it yet? :)

A short while ago, I had an opportunity to audition a pair at an audio store while I was in Tokyo. I was very much impressed with the sound and build quality of the pair that was on demo, so I went ahead and bought one on the spot.

Since I have no idea whether aging matters for them, I'll refrain from going too deep into sound performance stuff until I put in 150-200 hours of play time (only about 50 hours so far), but I can say it feels sturdy, light, well-isolated, resolving, fast, low-distortion, relatively naturally sounding (including the bass, a big departure from CD900ST), and sources tend to feel closer than "audiophile phones". In other words, just as one would expect from what is primarily a professional studio monitoring product.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #53 of 207
Is the treble bright? Can you listen for long periods without fatigue?

Sep 7, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #56 of 207
A recent in-depth review by @sandalaudio (it is in Japanese, so the use of Google translate is suggested).
The article includes some measurements on impedance & phase curve as well.

Sep 7, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #57 of 207
A recent in-depth review by @sandalaudio (it is in Japanese, so the use of Google translate is suggested).
The article includes some measurements on impedance & phase curve as well.

Thanks. I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and haven't found anything particularly bad.
I think it is worth every dollar but it is what it is and people shouldn't expect anything extraordinary. It feels to me like a typical modern Sony sound, especially the consumer style bass might annoy some traditionalists, but definitely feels like a modern upgrade over the old CD900ST. It feels like an MDR-1A with less sparkly soundstage spread, and more up-close analytical detail. The way it fits my head is also very similar to MDR-1A.

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #58 of 207
I particularly enjoyed your reviews of the JVC MX100Z and SW01.
How does it compare to the MX100Z ?

Sep 8, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #59 of 207
I've always had a soft spot for Sony headphones since the early 90's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back