Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
Apr 21, 2024 at 7:08 AM Post #1,171 of 1,173
Sorry,last time I expressed very bad lol
I would like to use my Ibasso d320max ti in balanced(more power,less gain) and drive my R10.
Sonically,I think I found the nirvana,but I would prefer to use balanced connection because,listening at high volumes,sometimes the sound from the 320 is a bit sparkly.i assume that with less gain but with a powerful amp section I would hear an improvement.
So for me if exist an adapter would be better,because my intention would’ve be to leave my R10 stock
For example:
https://ifi-audio.com/products/headphone-adapter-3-5mm-to-4-4mm/
I don’t think a company like ifi audio create those adapter risking to destroying amp or headphone driver.
And I don’t care to make my R10 balanced,for me is enough to make my king able to use 4.4 amp section.
However I’m asking to you because probably you have much more experience than me.
If I have to reterminate,first of all..
Would be worth it?
Which cable should I use for maybe make a possible improvement?pure silver maybe?
Which connector would be great for reterminate the R10?
Recabling isn’t recommended as you can easily destroyed the driver in the process. This may happens during the driver removable process. The back of the driver of every R10 is glued to the ear cup and removing it could rip the voice coil causing the damage to the diaphragm. I have done that on one of pair regrettably and also manage to successfully recabled one but refuse to go through that process ever again.

Retermination is recommended here. You can easily cut the original cable off and just solder on a 4.4 mm connector or 4 pin XLR for that matter. You get the benefit of a balanced drive on the R10 and you can use a readily available adapter for a single end operation. I have the DX320 max just like you and the R10 sounds awesome balanced. Mine is terminated with the 4.4 mm Furutech and I often use my pair with top end DAP such the DMP-Z1, DX320 MaxTi or even the NW-1ZM2 Walkman. Of these devices, the balanced output sounds better than the single end to my ears.

Not every balanced output can be grounded into single end. Using such adapter can easily destroyed my ECP Audio L3 or DSHA-4 amps.

Apr 21, 2024 at 7:39 AM Post #1,172 of 1,173
Recabling isn’t recommended as you can easily destroyed the driver in the process. This may happens during the driver removable process. The back of the driver of every R10 is glued to the ear cup and removing it could rip the voice coil causing the damage to the diaphragm. I have done that on one of pair regrettably and also manage to successfully recabled one but refuse to go through that process ever again.

Retermination is recommended here. You can easily cut the original cable off and just solder on a 4.4 mm connector or 4 pin XLR for that matter. You get the benefit of a balanced drive on the R10 and you can use a readily available adapter for a single end operation. I have the DX320 max just like you and the R10 sounds awesome balanced. Mine is terminated with the 4.4 mm Furutech and I often use my pair with top end DAP such the DMP-Z1, DX320 MaxTi or even the NW-1ZM2 Walkman. Of these devices, the balanced output sounds better than the single end to my ears.

Not every balanced output can be grounded into single end. Using such adapter can easily destroyed my ECP Audio L3 or DSHA-4 amps.
My idea was simply to reterminate the r10,not to recable..
But while I’m at it, if I have to cut the cable... I might as well put in a new cable.
However,I take this opportunity to ask you..have you compare z1 and 320 max?are they in the same league?

Apr 28, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #1,173 of 1,173
As for the claims and takes regarding Z1R that keep being repeated around here, I couldn't disagree more. It was not supposed to be similar to R10 and it is a fine product on its own. I am a happy owner.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back