Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Oct 15, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #286 of 1,999
When listening to music over LDAC or APT-X, any Xperia phone or the google pixel phone, will give you the exact same quality as a A40 walkman, most likely for cheaper, While listening over bluetooth, only the codec and the DAC on the receiver side are actually relevant.

Very true but I don't only listen via bluetooth I also use headphones as well. I already have a smartphone and I am willing to bet the A45 sounds better than my smartphone via headphones. I use my smartphone for business and personal use and prefer to keep my 125 GB of music on a separate device as I need the storage space on my phone for personal and customer information.

I am merely pointing out that there are other options to buying a $800.00 DAP that provides more flexibility and in the case of a receiver better sound than the ZX300 alone and even more power on tap if needed. While I don't use equing on my DAP's I am sure if you find the A45 sound bland you can tweak it to change the sound and get it closer to the ZX300. It seems this argument just goes round and round as there is no single best option. I know that for me the A45 fits my needs and budget and pairs well with my existing audio hardware including two bluetooth speakers. LDAC bluetooth while sounding great does drain the battery faster so having the extra battery life of the A45 vs the ZX300 is another good reason to go with the A45.

No one is ever going to convince me to pony up for a ZX300 or any other $800.00 DAP especially if the battery is not user replaceable. My home receiver is going to last me a lot longer than any DAP at any price and I would rather spend $300.00 on a new DAP every few years vs $800.00.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #287 of 1,999
Anyone successfully changed language to English on the Japanese NW-A45? Thinking of getting one wondering if it's fairly safe?

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #289 of 1,999
Multiple people got it to work on the ZX300 so its pretty safe that the A40 works too. Just change destination code the the tourist one and than reset the player.

Yes, I read people had success with the zx300. No experience with that kind of stuff, anyone had success specifically with the A40 series though? Or are the firmwares similar that if the zx300 works this would work?

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #290 of 1,999
Yes, I read people had success with the zx300. No experience with that kind of stuff, anyone had success specifically with the A40 series though? Or are the firmwares similar that if the zx300 works this would work?
its the same os with the same version and since everything is software based it will work 100%

Oct 16, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #294 of 1,999
It is, just look up nwdesttool download it and follow the instructions. It works flawlessly, the question mark is only there because no one changed it yet.

I tried it the other day (Sunday?) and I got the "Your device is not supported. Please contact developers." message. I've got the NW-A47 (64GB) version if that makes a difference but I will try it again later today.

Oct 16, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #295 of 1,999
I'd kill* for a rockbox port of the a35-40 series if only to get full bookmark support back in :frowning2:

*Well not kill, seriously maim? Perhaps not :p

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #297 of 1,999
No A45 for bhphotovideo as scheduled

So they were suppose to have stock tomorrow on the A45 but status is changed to "Coming Soon" from expected stock October 17th. I guess I am not surprised this seems to happen all the time with Sony DAP releases. They did however get stock on the NW-A35 at least in black which was sold out until today. I have to wonder if Sony is waiting for the A35 stock to sell before they provide stock for the A45 at least in North America. No ZX300 stock either as eta was also October 17th.

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #298 of 1,999
The NW-A40 isn’t supported yet. I tried it out the other day. How are people changing the language and sound pressure on the ZX300?
It works on the ZX300 because I actually dumped my device configuration and sent it to the developer so he could add support for it.

You need to run the following commands and send the sonynwz_result.txt to the developer (see help_us in the rockbox page)

scsitool-nwz-v12 X: get_dhp >> sonynwz_result.txt

scsitool-nwz-v12 X: get_dnk_nvp_multi kas shp sps fmp pcd mid ctr fpi fur fvi ins lyr nvr prk rbt she sku ums ups clv pwd clg >> sonynwz_result.txt

Replace X by your walkman drive letter.

Make sure you use the latest version.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #299 of 1,999
Why pay all that money and still have to go through all this? (I'm not asking you, I'm asking Sony)

Oct 17, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #300 of 1,999
No A45 for bhphotovideo as scheduled

So they were suppose to have stock tomorrow on the A45 but status is changed to "Coming Soon" from expected stock October 17th. I guess I am not surprised this seems to happen all the time with Sony DAP releases. They did however get stock on the NW-A35 at least in black which was sold out until today. I have to wonder if Sony is waiting for the A35 stock to sell before they provide stock for the A45 at least in North America. No ZX300 stock either as eta was also October 17th.
I hoped so. I hoped so. generally I expect a red version on sale, but it may appear in the US with a big delay. it is better to buy a version of Hong-Kong on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back