Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Aug 3, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #32 of 1,999
While a40 sounds quite good
I doubt it sounds anywhere near nw-zx100, it's like a vw golf gti (a40) vs BMW m5 (nw-zx100) in performance, the components used in nw-zx100 including os-con capacitor, circuit board VIA hole is filled with copper, isolated power supply, machine milled aluminum chassis, makes the difference in sound quality, hence why prefix nw is defined as audiophile grade, wm as flagship perfectionist, a as high performance
Actually, it lists a lot of those features in the A30's product page too: http://www.sony.jp/walkman/products/NW-A30_series/feature_2.html (compare with http://www.sony.jp/walkman/products/NW-ZX100/feature_2.html)
It's still convenient to Sony having all the rights of this plug and earning for all the replacement units.
They probably just have a lot stocked up that they still need to sell and then when that runs out they'll switch over to USB-C or whatever. Although they gave up on their cable for the original PS Vita when they released the 2000 model a couple years back, so maybe they just hear more from the video game fans then about their complaints, than the audio ones.

Aug 3, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #33 of 1,999
Actually, it lists a lot of those features in the A30's product page too: http://www.sony.jp/walkman/products/NW-A30_series/feature_2.html (compare with http://www.sony.jp/walkman/products/NW-ZX100/feature_2.html)

They probably just have a lot stocked up that they still need to sell and then when that runs out they'll switch over to USB-C or whatever. Although they gave up on their cable for the original PS Vita when they released the 2000 model a couple years back, so maybe they just hear more from the video game fans then about their complaints, than the audio ones.

I honestly don't see Sony dropping the WMPort being it is proprietary it generates extra revenue for Sony when you need another one. Just like Apple with their proprietary stuff. They make a much higher profit margin on the cables, screen protectors and cases than on the hardware.

Aug 3, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #34 of 1,999
Aug 3, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #35 of 1,999
Can anyone translate the manual to see if it mentions podcast abilities at all? MediaGo software actually made podcasts so easy. I hope they did not discontinue podcast into this model as well. No need to upgrade to this without podcasts.

Aug 4, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #38 of 1,999
I wonder what he will design?
in appearance it will be the same as the A35?
Jeah it will look completely like A30 series. The manuel already shows the design!!
0cf24a8f30.png

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #40 of 1,999
Im glad that design will be the same :)

I've purchased case for A30 via eBay before returning it to the store.

Aug 4, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #42 of 1,999
Can anyone translate the manual to see if it mentions podcast abilities at all? MediaGo software actually made podcasts so easy. I hope they did not discontinue podcast into this model as well. No need to upgrade to this without podcasts.

Yeah I did translate the manual but the translation isn't great. I see mention of bookmarking but nothing on podcast support. I really don't think the podcast feature is big in Asia so they left it off. Out of curiosity have you found any non-Sony DAP's that support podcasts?

Do the generic ones work with all Walkmans or only the specific models listed?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Sony+Walkman+cable
The generic ones should work with all Sony DAP's with the WMPort. I bought a couple of spares and they work fine on my A17 and I gave one to friend who bought the A35 and it works fine as well

I just popped over to the Fiio X3 Mark III thread and despite it being listed on Fiio's site with full details there are no comments yet. This DAP has very little information available and we already have 3 pages of comments. I just hope Sony takes notice of how many people are interested in the A40 and make it readily available on release. The A35 is just now trickling into a few stores in Canada and is now available on the Sony/gentec.ca site for sale once again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 5, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #43 of 1,999
Yeah I did translate the manual but the translation isn't great. I see mention of bookmarking but nothing on podcast support. I really don't think the podcast feature is big in Asia so they left it off. Out of curiosity have you found any non-Sony DAP's that support podcasts?

The generic ones should work with all Sony DAP's with the WMPort. I bought a couple of spares and they work fine on my A17 and I gave one to friend who bought the A35 and it works fine as well

I just popped over to the Fiio X3 Mark III thread and despite it being listed on Fiio's site with full details there are no comments yet. This DAP has very little information available and we already have 3 pages of comments. I just hope Sony takes notice of how many people are interested in the A40 and make it readily available on release. The A35 is just now trickling into a few stores in Canada and is now available on the Sony/gentec.ca site for sale once again.
I live in Germany and the A30 series is like available everywhere. It got released later than in asia but still like close to it. I did ship one from hong kong to my place because i wanted it early. I got mine in december and the normal release was like 1 month later.

Aug 5, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #44 of 1,999
Yeah I did translate the manual but the translation isn't great. I see mention of bookmarking but nothing on podcast support.

Be warned. The a35 actually has a section with 10 bookmarks that are nothing of the sort. They are favourites called bookmarks.

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #45 of 1,999

It is my undertstanding that any DAP that is android based should be able to use podcast apps. The problem is lack of battery life with all things Android & Apple.

My A17 is small enough that I could use for podcasts, and find another higher level DAP for music. Still would have to carry around multiple devices though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back