Sony NW-A55 with USB DAC ?
Nov 24, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 16
You will have to get an adapter. The part number you need is WMC-NWH10.

Dec 17, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #3 of 16
I have the "opposite" question: is it possible (with the same cable or others) to use the A55 as a USB DAC - connected to an upstream transport e.g. a PC, a phone, a lower end DAP...

Dec 19, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 16
you can use the A55 in USB DAC mode, eg. connecting the A55 to the PC via USB cable and then activate the DAC Mode and play the audio trough the USB DAC functionality out to the headphones/loudspeaker.
There is a little lag and it is noticeable lag, altough bit better than on A45.

Dec 19, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #5 of 16
you can use the A55 in USB DAC mode, eg. connecting the A55 to the PC via USB cable and then activate the DAC Mode and play the audio trough the USB DAC functionality out to the headphones/loudspeaker.

Ok then I'm blond! How the heck do I "activate the DAC mode" ? :frowning2:

Dec 19, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #7 of 16
Ooooh! So I cannot use A55 as a USB-DAC, unless from a PC (or a Mac), and strictly through its propritary music player?? :frowning2:
How about if Sony's player is not high quality enough sound wise? Ah well... "Welcome to Sony", I presume...

@kapqa Thanks for help btw bro :)

Dec 19, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #8 of 16
no, you can also it for example for lstening youtube on firefox, for example, but there is some lag, so its not very useful, only for processing music.
you just need to tap DAC symbol and change the audio output on the PC to the Walkman.
if i remember well, it did function also on LInux, but am not entirely positive on this.
Sorry, but i am not really versed in the HiFi section, but this one i tried :wink:
All the best + Happy Natale.

Dec 19, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #9 of 16
no, you can also it for example for lstening youtube on firefox, for example, but there is some lag, so its not very useful, only for processing music.
you just need to tap DAC symbol and change the audio output on the PC to the Walkman.
if i remember well, it did function also on LInux, but am not entirely positive on this.
Sorry, but i am not really versed in the HiFi section, but this one i tried :wink:
All the best + Happy Natale.

So I just need the bare sony windows driver? I tried, and I didnt succeed with that. I'll try again... will post back

Dec 19, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #11 of 16
i remember it would function with the NW-A45, so it should be the same with the NW-A55.
don't remember if the driver was necessary on Windows, probably yes.

OK when I connect it to the PC I only can see it as a HD device. With or without the driver Windows doesnt sense it as an audio device.
I did install mrWalkman firmware on it (great, btw). Maybe that's the origin of the incompatibility, will check with the guy

Dec 20, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #12 of 16
No it does not seem related to mrWalkman's firmware. I suspect the issue is in the cable, maybe the stock USB cable does not allow for USB-DAC connection

Dec 22, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #13 of 16
the stock USB cable is what i used, definitely it would work, so there should be no issue with that.
(however, i still used Windows 7 as i have not upgraded to Windows10 yet; but doubt that it wouldn't function under Win10)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back