SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 15, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #13,682 of 15,804
It is what i found when I was sarching for closed and matching the 1am2 for synergy on portable use, when I opted for the ED15 Veritas. Someone else suggested me so basing on my needs. Different price though ..but could be endgame pair. For a time. Hopefully
I don't know that one, are they good for metal and rock?

Jan 15, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #13,684 of 15,804
For me it was until the DCA Stealth came out.
The Ed15 Veritas is far easier to be driven (with the WM1A is perfect), and still more compact and convenient to be carried for trips... DCA Stealth is another story with DAPs, as very few can drive properly this headphone.

I have so many headphones (too many).
My tops are the Utopia OG, L5000, Mysphere 3.1, ED15, R10P, Sonorous X, HD820. Overall I rank them in that order. However they all stay in my collection because they all excel in at least one specific area over all others. For example, when I want warm, relaxing and musical with wide sound stage I use the Ed15 with the Sony DMP-Z1.

Jan 15, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #13,685 of 15,804
Update on my journey with the WM1AM2 (rolls right off the tongue, doesn’t it?):

IMG_9878.jpeg

I think the extra clarity compared to the ZX307 and the extra bass definition from the WM1A is really good what holds the sound together for me.

Currently listening out the 4.4mm connection with Beyerdynamic Xelento to Fleshgod Apocalypse.

That clarity really makes this band sound just a little better, because those guys sure need all the clarity they can get out of every piece of gear in the audio chain.

Jan 15, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #13,686 of 15,804
Update on my journey with the WM1AM2 (rolls right off the tongue, doesn’t it?):

IMG_9878.jpeg

I think the extra clarity compared to the ZX307 and the extra bass definition from the WM1A is really good what holds the sound together for me.

Currently listening out the 4.4mm connection with Beyerdynamic Xelento to Fleshgod Apocalypse.

That clarity really makes this band sound just a little better, because those guys sure need all the clarity they can get out of every piece of gear in the audio chain.
Tremendous Italian band, very good melodic death metal.

Jan 15, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #13,687 of 15,804
Potentially insane inquiry. Is there a large enough gap in presentation between WM1ZM2 and WM1AM2 to purchase both as complimentary DAP’s?

Jan 15, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #13,688 of 15,804
Potentially insane inquiry. Is there a large enough gap in presentation between WM1ZM2 and WM1AM2 to purchase both as complimentary DAP’s?
mmm ... yes.

I feel like they tuned them differently for that very purpose.

... but my AM2 doesn't get enough love ❤️

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 4:40 AM Post #13,691 of 15,804
No. I tested both in depth and i bought the WM1ZM2 because i am willing to pay the extra amount for the last percent.

But the difference is insanely small. I am pretty sure that almost nobody here would be able to distinguish them in an blind test.

I bought the WM1ZM2 for myself because i am not a sane person in that aspect (and also i got it insanely cheap due to tax free shopping and the very low yen), but i do not recommend others to buy it unless you really don't care about the price at all.

You get 0.5-1% better performance but for 3x the price. Its hard to justify that if money is any of your concern.

But i use the WM1ZM2 portable all the time. Its heavy, yes, but its not heavy to the point of not being able to transport. I got the Sony case with it which protects it nicely. I would either use the WM1ZM2 or the WM1AM2, i do not see a point to own both. Yes the A-Version is slightly lighter, but not to the point where it is worth owning both.

And no, i don't lift.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 5:05 AM Post #13,692 of 15,804
But the difference is insanely small. I am pretty sure that almost nobody here would be able to distinguish them in an blind test.
Isn't the only difference is 1 wire inside plus the chassis material? And the rest is the same, if i'm not mistaken.
One needs to be a diehard Sony fan to pay so much more for the wire.

Sony has selected a thick KIMBER KABLE® to run from the amp base to the balanced headphone jack on the NW-WM1ZM2, much like the renowned
DMP-Z1. This carefully selected component helps transmit high-quality audio signals, leaving just the music.

The NW-WM1AM2 uses a low-resistance OFC cable which offers low distortion and superior channel separation.

Jan 16, 2024 at 5:47 AM Post #13,693 of 15,804
Isn't the only difference is 1 wire inside plus the chassis material? And the rest is the same, if i'm not mistaken.
One needs to be a diehard Sony fan to pay so much more for the wire.
That, and the rear.

The difference are 3 things

Chassy Material (99.99% copper vs. aluminium)
Rear Panel (Pressed vs. cut)
Cable (Kimber vs. Standard OFC)

Beside that, there is no difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back