SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 13, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #301 of 15,737
Well, I actually got the 1Z when they were introducing 2.00 firmware. I purchased the 1Z the day before. The 1A happened because I simply liked the 1Z and wanted a DAP for outside. But after getting it, I fell in love with the 1A and couldn’t risk going outside with it.

The best thing to happen to the 1A was the region change. Also newly introduced...... the very first tune aftermarket software! This was before MrWalkman arrived. But the new tunes were great because with region J the 1A was now warm. That’s when it started to rack up hours and start to equal the 1Z hours.

Long story short, the 1A was crippled by Sony and has inferior sound to make the 1Z look good. The 1A improved the most with aftermarket software and regions. Still there was a time when the midrange of the 1A had me spellbound. I put my 1Z away for months concentrating on the 1A midrange. Still coming back to the 1Z though reconfirms the sonic reality it bestows upon sound! The 1Z is in truth miles better than the 1A (all in 10%) but that doesn’t make the 1A less entertaining to use. It’s just that the 1Z has a circular soundstage and the 1A has a right to left soundstage. The bass in the 1Z is full and has a serious physical side. The 1A bass is fast and agile. The treble of the 1Z is spread out into a fish bowl around your head with 3D elements inside. The 1A treble sits behind the forward midrange yet is nice in its own way. I look forward to learning your impressions! PM me if your curious about firmware settings.
I remember that you shared before that the 1A is more of its own beast rather than an inferior 1Z, and then Sony staff told me that there is 1 left so I thought why not. At the very worst it will become a collector item from the first gen Z signature for me so I don't lose anything.
Since you got yours at launch I'm basically re-walking your steps of the last 5 years haha. I'm very late to the party and still I enjoy every bit of these. I have much to learn from all the sempai here.
Edit:

The 1A/1Z personality traits stay consistent even underneath the MrWalkman firmware choices, though the 1A has the most to benefit from region and aftermarket firmware.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #302 of 15,737
I remember that you shared before that the 1A is more of its own beast rather than an inferior 1Z, and then Sony staff told me that there is 1 left so I thought why not. At the very worst it will become a collector item from the first gen Z signature for me so I don't lose anything.
Since you got yours at launch I'm basically re-walking your steps of the last 5 years haha. I'm very late to the party and still I enjoy every bit of these. I have much to learn from all the sempai here.
you won't regret it, at least in my opinion. I really like the 1A a lot. I don't have DAPs as these fellows here but I had my share from all price range. For cheap and easy carry it's Hidizs (forgot the model name but that square one they keep revising) but 1A, to me and again, with price point in consideration, is the best sounding player. It does all genres well imo. But I am also using an IER-Z1R so that needs to be considered.

Feb 13, 2022 at 12:30 AM Post #303 of 15,737
Agree with you and @Redcarmoose on that. I‘ve never thought of them being a worse or better version of the other. The sound signature is just different. :)

Feb 13, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #304 of 15,737
Yes, IER-Z1R synergy with the 1A!
you won't regret it, at least in my opinion. I really like the 1A a lot. I don't have DAPs as these fellows here but I had my share from all price range. For cheap and easy carry it's Hidizs (forgot the model name but that square one they keep revising) but 1A, to me and again, with price point in consideration, is the best sounding player. It does all genres well imo. But I am also using an IER-Z1R so that needs to be considered.

Feb 13, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #305 of 15,737
Agree with you and @Redcarmoose on that. I‘ve never thought of them being a worse or better version of the other. The sound signature is just different. :)
I feel the original WM1A was legendary, I love it!
11952569-4367-4C46-BEF9-4D5F2852F50B.gif

Feb 13, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #306 of 15,737
I feel the original WM1A was legendary, I love it!
11952569-4367-4C46-BEF9-4D5F2852F50B.gif
Yes, IER-Z1R synergy with the 1A!
I declared end-game with WM1Z and IER-Z1R as in I found my ultimate sound for portable set. I'll see how long it stays that way.
I'm starting with the stock sound of 1A and 1Z first to know the sound Sony intended first, that will help with seeing any changes may come with software update later.

Feb 13, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #308 of 15,737
It is rather disappointing all this time pass and they didn't upgrade the output power, especially when competitors in its higher price range all have more power.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #309 of 15,737
Well, each is it’s own thing with the IER-Z1R. The TA with the latest firmware gets you the farthest with big, big detail and authority on all accounts. 4.4mm stock cable. The lower midrange has this expansion that’s fast and detailed with transient edges that no Walkman can get close to. That is simply damping doing what damping does, causing the diaphragm to move at the most accurate impulse progression. The start and stop. And it’s really still personal taste as the TA was darker in the last rendition of firmware. But now it’s faster maybe? I mean it’s a combination of everything. The 1Z/1A in the Cradle, the USB AQCarbon, the power cord? But the IER-Z1R is definitely boomy with the 1Z. There is point where the 1A seems to move the IER-Z1R bass faster. It just depends if that pace is an issue to you. Meaning the bass is slower with the 1Z, because of just the 1Z bass personality. The 1A bass is fast....but to me the IER-Z1R equalized the two Walkmans. Meaning the IER-Z1R is already the Sony sound; so adding the 1A or 1Z makes less difference with it than other IEMs. IMO

Often I thought the 1A was better with IER pace. But the TA is a different story? Never can the Walkmans get to that soundstage that the TA does? No matter what firmware?

Which would you say is closer to the sound of the Tazzy desktop DAC/amp: original 1Z or 1A (with or without mods)?

Still remember the 1Z is a V, where the 1A is more mid-centric (the 1A still a V, but less) and the IER-Z1R is more mid pulled, so in a way the 1A fits it better. Though you seem to get used to whatever you use. Meaning at the start..........all these big contrasts, where later it all comes out in the wash, as you focus on music. IMO

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #310 of 15,737
Which would you say is closer to the sound of the Tazzy desktop DAC/amp: original 1Z or 1A (with or without mods)?
But this week with the EarSonics ONYX, it continues with the IER-Z1R sound, but (for me) the 1A is no good? The TA, and 1Z is where it’s at. And.....this is such a strong personality metric that I’m pretty sure it’s now permanent. So no 1A for the ONYX? Which was strange as before it worked. But that is a perfect example of the IER-Z1R blending with both the 1A and 1Z, where other IEMs....less at times?

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #311 of 15,737
Interesting latest....

Attachments

• Capture+_2022-02-13-15-18-08.png
    Capture+_2022-02-13-15-18-08.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
Feb 13, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #313 of 15,737
NpAudio of course!

Feb 13, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #314 of 15,737
Hi people, i think i will stay on my 1A with @MrWalkman 1Z firmware.
Upgrading to highest Music Sanctuary or npaudio?
One thing I can't understand is the same storage - no increase. As a TOTL why not 500gb internal. Even a TB. With a TB SD option too. I just don't understand it especially who they are aiming these players at in a smartphone world....storage for hires is a factor.

Feb 13, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #315 of 15,737
One thing I can't understand is the same storage - no increase. As a TOTL why not 500gb internal. Even a TB. With a TB SD option too. I just don't understand it especially who they are aiming these players at in a smartphone world....storage for hires is a factor.
No storages needed for you, you can stream it all :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back