SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 29, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #3,346 of 15,684
Probably should have posted here earlier :)

Btw, anybody know if "High-Res streaming" option under Sound settings bypasses Android 11 SRC downsampling?

Golden Brick 2.0 :)

It upsamples everything to 192/32 as I understand it

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #3,347 of 15,684
Probably should have posted here earlier :)

Btw, anybody know if "High-Res streaming" option under Sound settings bypasses Android 11 SRC downsampling?

Golden Brick 2.0 :)

Looks like it's the same as the ZX507 back then. Taken from the 1AM2 manual:
  1. Tap the switch to turn on the [High-Res streaming] function.
    Music streamed using apps other than “Music player” is played in the following quality.
    • [Use High-Res streaming] is on:
      Up-converted playback at 192 kHz/32 bit
    • [Use High-Res streaming] is off:
      Down-converted playback at 48 kHz/16 bit
So it bypasses the Android SRC but not in the way one would expect. :frowning2:

Apr 29, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #3,348 of 15,684
Apr 29, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #3,349 of 15,684
Very nice photos of the 2 gorgeous DAPs, @twister6 ! Both absolutely enjoyable in their own way. :)

Thanks! Using my S22 phone to take pictures in a rush. Also, just figured out how to take screenshots, so I updated AnTuTu 3D benchmark images with screenshots that look cleaner :D

Apr 29, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #3,350 of 15,684
It upsamples everything to 32/192.
All applications upsamples with "Music Player" or without? I asked, because when turn on and listening songs in "Music Player" sound are different, more clear, and width and deep than turn off.

Apr 29, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #3,351 of 15,684
192kHz/32b is perfect for Amazon Music HD, Qobuz, and probably Apple Music. Not sure what does it mean for Tidal Masters streaming. I will have to load UAPP since you can see sampling rate and bit depth in there.

Apr 29, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #3,352 of 15,684
All applications upsamples with "Music Player" or without? I asked, because when turn on and listening songs in "Music Player" sound are different, more clear, and width and deep than turn off.

It upsamples audio coming from third-party apps.

Apr 29, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #3,353 of 15,684
Apr 29, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #3,354 of 15,684
Did you know back in the ZX507 thread, there WAS a way to firmware update your japanese hardware ZX507 with Chinese ZX507 firmware. You have to place the Chinese firmware update file inside your walkman's internal storage root directory and update it. Once you done the chinese firmware update, all traces of google playstore and google related apps all goes away. Music Playback time actually increased by 1 hour(typically) due to the removed google framework.

Afterwards you must not perform any Over the Air (Wifi) firmware updates as it pulls the correct region firmware of your hardware. And once you updated a firmware, there's no going back to previous version. Though the next time a new firmware is released, you can revert your Chinese firmware Japanese hardware ZX507 back to Japanese firmware by doing OTA update. Hope I am not too confusing with the sentences I used.

I wonder if it's possble to do the same with the European M2 Walkman since there's an update from 1.08 to 1.10 recently. Maybe it is possible to exploit the volume limit by flashing a European hardware with an international firmware? Wonder if the volume limiter is hardware coded or firmware based.
But did nothing to fix capping or loss of High Gain with the EU versions if you recall the discussion. I tried the firmware on the Amazon UK one before I returned it 😉 and reported result in that thread.

Apr 29, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #3,355 of 15,684
Being playing quite alot of music on the WM1AM2(current aging: 270hours), I think there's something that I have noticed with all recordings that I have listened to, and that is the background sound field has absolute pitch black darkness. This pitch black darkness really allows for you to hear the most finest micro-transient details rising smoothly in the music with extreme clarity. I feel it's quite calming to the mind to be able to hear this kind of complete silence in your music. Vocals feels so surreal, like as if you are teleported right to the actual location of where the recording is made, its a very atmospheric experience.

This is listening done from my own room without any background noise(outside of the air conditioner) of about 36 to 38 dba noise level(as per measured on iphone app).

Apr 29, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #3,357 of 15,684
I am about to pull the trigger on one of these. If I don't get at least 6 years of use from it- I aint moving forward....

Is that a reasonable request?
i mean at the very end you get it, right? you may will have an outdated tidal or qobuz app or UAPP but it will stream.

Apr 29, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #3,358 of 15,684
i mean at the very end you get it, right? you may will have an outdated tidal or qobuz app or UAPP but it will stream.
Android 11 will easily still be supported by music streaming apps in 6 years time IMO.

Android 5 or 6 are still supported and they go back to 2014 & 2015 so thats 7 years and still usable.

For own music files it will be usable until battery dies.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #3,359 of 15,684
Being playing quite alot of music on the WM1AM2(current aging: 270hours), I think there's something that I have noticed with all recordings that I have listened to, and that is the background sound field has absolute pitch black darkness. This pitch black darkness really allows for you to hear the most finest micro-transient details rising smoothly in the music with extreme clarity. I feel it's quite calming to the mind to be able to hear this kind of complete silence in your music. Vocals feels so surreal, like as if you are teleported right to the actual location of where the recording is made, its a very atmospheric experience.

This is listening done from my own room without any background noise(outside of the air conditioner) of about 36 to 38 dba noise level(as per measured on iphone app).
with which headphones / IEMs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back