SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 16, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #11,311 of 15,744
Sorry one more query..

I assume since this is Android I can run Qobuz, Tidal, Roon and Roon ARC without issue?

Appreciate Roon may not be bit perfect but that's fine.

I only ask this as I read someone say that the NW-ZX707 is better from streaming but I have no idea of the logic behind that statement.

Cheers again
Yeah Roon and ARC with no issues.

May 16, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #11,312 of 15,744
Yeah Roon and ARC with no issues.
Thanks all.

I now have a NW-WM1AM2 on the way from the US. Looking forward to it.

I'll have to read through some of this thread now to work out what sound tweaks you all recommend.

May 16, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #11,313 of 15,744
The big change is at near 300 hours and so on, at least on my 1zm2 , we dont ear all the same, about measurements you can throw that to the garbage
I am about 340hr / balanced

**it might be placebo or conditioning or else** I noticed lately that separation in mids and bass got better ( mids moved forward ..or more defined .. guitars and voices stand more then before .. base changed too I can't tell exactly what changed , still very lush and velvet it seems it gained a touch more of solidness )

I prefer this thing to my desktop setup most of the time , of course as it is portable , but feels sort of more musical -with all the details
it amazed me the first day , I wrote how surprised I was
definitely the sound sig. changed through time and burning in
it was very good then now it's gone beyond any expectation

first time in so many years I go back to Sony and very surprised

May 16, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #11,314 of 15,744
I am about 340hr / balanced

**it might be placebo or conditioning or else** I noticed lately that separation in mids and bass got better ( mids moved forward ..or more defined .. guitars and voices stand more then before .. base changed too I can't tell exactly what changed , still very lush and velvet it seems it gained a touch more of solidness )

I prefer this thing to my desktop setup most of the time , of course as it is portable , but feels sort of more musical -with all the details
it amazed me the first day , I wrote how surprised I was
definitely the sound sig. changed through time and burning in
it was very good then now it's gone beyond any expectation

first time in so many years I go back to Sony and very surprised
For me is the best or in other words, never heard any other that plays Music, Music ,not sounds, like the 1Zm2

May 16, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #11,315 of 15,744
Hello Everyone.

Recently I got my first serious set of headphones, Audeze LCD-X.

I would love to pair them with a nice DAP, but in the price range I was looking (1200/1700) it looks there are a lot of contenders.

I am a nostalgic, and since my first Walkman was a Sony (a WM3 Deluxe) I was thinking to get the WM1AM2.

I am going to use it mainly - for now - to stream music from Tidal, Apple Music, but I plan to start ripping my cd collection or buying music from Hdtracks.

Here some questions:
- is this player able to pilot my headphones? What kind (maker, model) of balanced cable should I buy, since they came with a unbalanced 6.5mm jack?
- can it handle a 2Tb microSD?
- is the UI buggy as someone says, compared to other producers (A&K, Cayin, Fiio etc)
- Will I be able to listen offline some music from Tidal/Apple Music?

I look forward to your answers.
Thank you a lot.

Fulvio

May 16, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #11,316 of 15,744
Hello Everyone.

I would love to pair them with a nice DAP, but in the price range I was looking (1200/1700) it looks there are a lot of contenders.

I am a nostalgic, and since my first Walkman was a Sony (a WM3 Deluxe) I was thinking to get the WM1AM2.

I am going to use it mainly - for now - to stream music from Tidal, Apple Music, but I plan to start ripping my cd collection or buying music from Hdtracks.

Here some questions:
- is this player able to pilot my headphones? What kind (maker, model) of balanced cable should I buy, since they came with a unbalanced 6.5mm jack?
- is the UI buggy as someone says, compared to other producers (A&K, Cayin, Fiio etc)

Thank you a lot.

Fulvio
Hi. I can only answer a few of your questions.

Cable - I recommend checking out cables from Effect Audio.

MicroSD card - technically the 1AM2 can handle a 2tb micro SD card. However, 2tb cards do not exist. The ones you find selling on Amazon and Aliexpress are all fakes.

UI - I wouldn’t say the UI is buggy, but it is a bit slow. But then again I have never encountered an Android based device that has a fast responding UI.

May 16, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #11,317 of 15,744
Hi. I can only answer a few of your questions.

Cable - I recommend checking out cables from Effect Audio.

MicroSD card - technically the 1AM2 can handle a 2tb micro SD card. However, 2tb cards do not exist. The ones you find selling on Amazon and Aliexpress are all fakes.

UI - I wouldn’t say the UI is buggy, but it is a bit slow. But then again I have never encountered an Android based device that has a fast responding UI.
You are right, 1tb, I got one for my SteamDeck and I do not know why I was thinking it was 2.

What about the bloatware installed on the player? is it possibile to uninstall it? (I mean, I do not need emails or Chrome, or else).

Do you think Sony is going to release anything new?

May 16, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #11,318 of 15,744
You are right, 1tb, I got one for my SteamDeck and I do not know why I was thinking it was 2.

What about the bloatware installed on the player? is it possibile to uninstall it? (I mean, I do not need emails or Chrome, or else).

Do you think Sony is going to release anything new?
This link below is an optimization guide that you can follow to setup your DAP. As far as new releases I doubt Sony will release more new DAPs any time soon since they just released two new models earlier this year.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-wm1am2-and-wm1zm2-android-walkman-optimization-guide.962975/

May 17, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #11,319 of 15,744
May 17, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #11,320 of 15,744
Hello Everyone.

Here some questions:

Thank you a lot.

Fulvio
I have an WM1AM2 and LCD-Xs. I think they're an excellent combo; It's my favourite DAP for the LCD-Xs.
The Sony has plenty of power for the LCDs (even the capped EU version was pretty OK), and the in-built system-wide EQ really helps. I usually add a couple of dB at 4kHz and sometimes a bit of bass and treble boost.
The EQ and other DSP features are system-wide and work with streaming apps - unlike many other DAPs, where the EQ is baked into the built-in media player app and only applies to local files.
I don't have any issues with software stability or speed, although it isn't as fast as a modern smartphone.

May 17, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #11,321 of 15,744
I have an WM1AM2 and LCD-Xs. I think they're an excellent combo; It's my favourite DAP for the LCD-Xs.
The Sony has plenty of power for the LCDs (even the capped EU version was pretty OK), and the in-built system-wide EQ really helps. I usually add a couple of dB at 4kHz and sometimes a bit of bass and treble boost.
The EQ and other DSP features are system-wide and work with streaming apps - unlike many other DAPs, where the EQ is baked into the built-in media player app and only applies to local files.
I don't have any issues with software stability or speed, although it isn't as fast as a modern smartphone.
Great, thank you.

What about all the bloatware that comes with the player? Is it easy to get rid of that?

Is the player compatible with Roon?

And one last thing, what do you suggest as a balanced cable to pair with the LCD?

Thank you again.

May 17, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #11,322 of 15,744
Great, thank you.

What about all the bloatware that comes with the player? Is it easy to get rid of that?

Is the player compatible with Roon?

And one last thing, what do you suggest as a balanced cable to pair with the LCD?

Thank you again.

I just disable everything which isn't needed - not much to do, and I believe there's a guide available somewhere in this thread if you aren't sure.

I don't use Roon, so not sure about that - I looked into Roon a while ago, but decided not to support them because of some of their business practices.

I really like the stock LCD cable, so I just replaced the 6.35mm connector with a 4.4mm connector.

May 17, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #11,324 of 15,744
How did you do that? Can you please share?
Just desoldered the old connector and soldered a new one on.
20211218_002945.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back