SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jun 8, 2023 at 2:13 AM Post #11,491 of 15,743
I own both. Saw your posts in the M15S thread. I don't use Wavelet or PowerAmp in my DAPs and also don't have an HeKSE.

2 different beasts IMO. If I want a more dynamic, emotional, intimate listening - I"ll reach for the 1AM2. Love listening with the 1AM2 specially at night, winding down, lights off with a good view outside my window - that type of mood.

I'll reach for the M15S if I "feel" I want more power, faster UI, I fancy a volume knob :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Hehe. If the Sony is dynamic, emotional and intimate, how would you describe the M15s ? 😅
(And I can’t really imagine what is the mix between dynamic and intimate 🧐)

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #11,492 of 15,743
Hehe. If the Sony is dynamic, emotional and intimate, how would you describe the M15s ? 😅
The AM2 I would summarise as warm, but still very detailed.

It can indeed also be described as dynamic, emotional and intimate.

I agree it does sound like a contradiction but it's true. I could listen to it for hours.

If its all I had and I'd never heard anything else I would be satisfied.

Jun 8, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #11,493 of 15,743
I can’t really imagine what is the mix between dynamic and intimate 🧐
It's not a mix..can be both , dynamic means can swing largely ( just i.e. : classic/ orchestra have usually large swings , where microdynamics has to do i.e. with single instrument transients more ) and intimate means you'd be able to hear closely a detailed warmly nuance of a sussured voice ..or emotionally a songwriting' author expressive tones and modulation, that gives a better understanding of his meaning in his writings when following the text of its song..etc

So i.e. a player can play both tracks (or both parts of the music) and have both results , resulting both dynamic and intimate at the same time

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #11,495 of 15,743

A bit dry - but not as dry as an M11 Plus ESS, less weighty - some genres comes out as "just" ok to listen to, lacking a bit of engagement and intimacy that the 1MA2 presents.

Agreed with both @turbofeet and @boodi - because the genre has a lot to do with it as well.

Jun 8, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #11,496 of 15,743
Is it an EQ or a PEK?
It's EQ, i.e. fixed bands. However, I find that it works really well with the LCD-Xs as it enable one to adjust 4K and adjust bass and treble if wanted. I always find that when getting too surgical with PEQ the results aren't good (to me, anyway), as it seems to do something odd to the sound. I know that there's somebody who publishes their LCD-X PEQ setting which has something like 30 filters - I'm the opposite of that :)

Jun 8, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #11,497 of 15,743
Thanks for the reply.
I don’t use 30 bands but the HeK has some precise spikes and not on the regular positions unfortunately. (I need 4 or 5 only and one specific)
Anyway I guess Poweramp is running on the Sony.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #11,498 of 15,743
It's EQ, i.e. fixed bands. However, I find that it works really well with the LCD-Xs as it enable one to adjust 4K and adjust bass and treble if wanted. I always find that when getting too surgical with PEQ the results aren't good (to me, anyway), as it seems to do something odd to the sound. I know that there's somebody who publishes their LCD-X PEQ setting which has something like 30 filters - I'm the opposite of that :) sony eq is useful

Sony DSD remastering engine is the best off anything / dacs I tried as for dsd upsampling ( most refined and well mnaged resulted upsampling ) , I still use Direct the most - and prefer NOS in general , but DSD is useful on certain records ..;
at same time I can use sony eq ( to give shelf to sub bass i.e. ) but I guess Hiby eq+mseb is a fairly superior tool when it comes to fine tailor and subtle-tune to your own taste and headphones need,
I give Sony the award for sonic performance and Hiby the award for software implementation

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #11,501 of 15,743
What would be a good combination of headphones to listen to rock and metal on this walkman.

Jun 8, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #11,502 of 15,743
What would be a good combination of headphones to listen to rock and metal on this walkman.
Are you looking for closed/open back headphones or in ear monitors? I have the 1AM2 and spent an extensive amount of time testing out the DCA Aeon 2 Noire and really enjoyed those headphones. In ear monitors are what I prefer for daily use when I’m working or on the go. For those I think the Sennheiser IE600 and 64 Audio U4s are great pairings with the Sony DAP. I highly recommend going with the 4.4mm balanced connection for both headphones and in ear monitors.

Jun 8, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #11,503 of 15,743
¿Está buscando auriculares cerrados/abiertos o monitores de oído? Tengo el 1AM2 y pasé mucho tiempo probando el DCA Aeon 2 Noire y realmente disfruté esos auriculares. Los monitores internos son lo que prefiero para el uso diario cuando estoy trabajando o en movimiento. Para aquellos, creo que Sennheiser IE600 y 64 Audio U4s son excelentes combinaciones con Sony DAP. Recomiendo encarecidamente ir con la conexión balanceada de 4,4 mm tanto para auriculares como para monitores de oído.

Are you looking for closed/open back headphones or in ear monitors? I have the 1AM2 and spent an extensive amount of time testing out the DCA Aeon 2 Noire and really enjoyed those headphones. In ear monitors are what I prefer for daily use when I’m working or on the go. For those I think the Sennheiser IE600 and 64 Audio U4s are great pairings with the Sony DAP. I highly recommend going with the 4.4mm balanced connection for both headphones and in ear monitors.
Well, I use the headphones in the office for the most part, because it can be over or inear, I was looking at the mdrz7m2 and the akg n5005, but I want a sony inear too.

But in the office it is more difficult to use an over, but I love that feeling of having the music very close, but very natural. I like the V shape, not so marked, but that it is present.

Jun 8, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #11,504 of 15,743
Well, I use the headphones in the office for the most part, because it can be over or inear, I was looking at the mdrz7m2 and the akg n5005, but I want a sony inear too.

But in the office it is more difficult to use an over, but I love that feeling of having the music very close, but very natural. I like the V shape, not so marked, but that it is present.
I would recommend looking into the DCA Aeon 2 or Aeon 2 Noire for headphones, very comfortable to wear all day, and ultra portable to carry in a bag. My only experience with Sony in ears is with the IER-Z1R for which I am not a fan. Very uncomfortable to wear for extended use. The only positive I can speak of is the bass response. At that price range and lower there are better options than the Sony that gives you what you’re looking for.

Jun 8, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #11,505 of 15,743
I would recommend looking into the DCA Aeon 2 or Aeon 2 Noire for headphones, very comfortable to wear all day, and ultra portable to carry in a bag. My only experience with Sony in ears is with the IER-Z1R for which I am not a fan. Very uncomfortable to wear for extended use. The only positive I can speak of is the bass response. At that price range and lower there are better options than the Sony that gives you what you’re looking for.

I'm a big fan of the Sony ier-z1r but only because they fit me very well. Sennheiser ie600 are excellent comfort whole still sounding great. I have both and personally use the Sony 95% of the time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back