SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Sep 26, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #12,751 of 15,871
Soundstage was never bad.....AT ALL. Sony is upgrading : when research work is done and sounds ready for update; if there's a brand that do not release anything-software which is not bullet-proof is Sony

It is hylarous that what appears surprisingly very positive ( quite amazing in real the change with the 1.07 update and the collateral dsee update fits **amazingly** the he1000se , helping fleshing out better mids and voices timbers which are he1000se weakness ) can be taken the opposite way and for bashing engeneers and their ( absolutely successfull !) work or commitments

And i wonder🤔

😎

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #12,752 of 15,871
Soundstage was never bad.....AT ALL. Sony is upgrading : when research work is done and sounds ready for update; if there's a brand that do not release anything-software which is not bullet-proof is Sony

It is hylarous that what appears surprisingly very positive ( quite amazing in real the change with the 1.07 update and the collateral dsee update fits **amazingly** the he1000se , helping fleshing out better mids and voices timbers which are he1000se weakness ) can be taken the opposite way and for bashing engeneers and their ( absolutely successfull !) work or commitments

And i wonder🤔

😎
I do like my WM1AM2 with my HE1000 V2 Stealths.

Sep 26, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #12,753 of 15,871
Already said , that I tried he1000v2 , the stealths and he1000se with z1m2;
the he1000se is the most match-in-heaven and my favorite pair but .. but the stealths were pretty good too: presenting more intimately the music , and with some added dynamics and warmness and less subtle stereo effects , admittedly they were better in some areas.

But with the last update and switching dsee on ( never before really..) , I am not used to hyperboles and similar but ..I have anything I was looking for before with he1000se .. sub rumbles , reverbs , bass slam , that mids extra fletching and quite much better rendering -at times- or more generally a more convincing voices natural prominence ( missing before ..)..: all is absolutely more organic and all-alltogheter smoothly spaced , with separation and place of instrument still of the most excellent level

I am still learning about this update , which is so musical too , easy to get lost in the music without thinking anything .. guess AI learned a lot before me though; before that , Sony engs implemented and researched the AI finests and most consistents , frankly it was unexpected before hearing it , I am still taking measures with the changes ; the he1000se sound like never before .
It's real.

@Sonywalkmanuser i didnt answer you still as I am still 'meeting' the changes ..never been a user of dsee before as I found the other dsp more interesting, now I am going again through my library with dsee....it is nice to see some productions do not change nearly / at all where others get new dimensions and new space informations
Also mids and general vibrancy the "live" aspect of music is better . On some productions the thing is very evident .

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #12,754 of 15,871
I think the sound improved with the firmware. I enjoyed trying DSEE Ultimate again. Separation did seem better. In the end returned to Direct. Something about the slam of attack and decay I prefer on Direct. And wasn't the update almost a Gig?

I believe that with DSEE Ultimate, the spatial sound field is achieved using virtual speakers, which places sounds further away from you and with that added distance, there is going to be changes to the how the slam of attack and decay works, which will make some of the familiar tracks that you have listened previously sound different/slower/less immediate.

I don't think that DSEE will make all music sound better but from what I am hearing so far in 1.07, I think Sony has has been improving DSEE Ultimate sound quality at very significant rate, especially when I compare(memory) to what I was hearing previously on my ZX500 back in 2020 with it's initial DSEE AI & later Ultimate.

1.07 DSEE makes music have more stage presence, there are more instances where you get to sense the location size of the studio/auditorium/concert hall/arena where the music is recorded. Not sure how Sony accomplishes this feat of sound processing but to me, I think it is darn impressive given that it doesn't have any hint of artificially processed surround/reverberations.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #12,755 of 15,871
I believe that with DSEE Ultimate, the spatial sound field is achieved using virtual speakers, which places sounds further away from you and with that added distance, there is going to be changes to the how the slam of attack and decay works, which will make some of the familiar tracks that you have listened previously sound different/slower/less immediate.

I don't think that DSEE will make all music sound better but from what I am hearing so far in 1.07, I think Sony has has been improving DSEE Ultimate sound quality at very significant rate, especially when I compare(memory) to what I was hearing previously on my ZX500 back in 2020 with it's initial DSEE AI & later Ultimate.

1.07 DSEE makes music have more stage presence, there are more instances where you get to sense the location size of the studio/auditorium/concert hall/arena where the music is recorded. Not sure how Sony accomplishes this feat of sound processing but to me, I think it is darn impressive given that it doesn't have any hint of artificially processed surround/reverberations.
Yes. I'm very impressed with DSEE now, while I wasn't before.

I also want to repeat that the update was almost 1G while most security patches are 2-300MB :)

Sep 26, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #12,756 of 15,871
Already said , that I tried he1000v2 , the stealths and he1000se with z1m2;
the he1000se is the most match-in-heaven and my favorite pair but .. but the stealths were pretty good too: presenting more intimately the music , and with some added dynamics and warmness and less subtle stereo effects , admittedly they were better in some areas.

But with the last update and switching dsee on ( never before really..) , I am not used to hyperboles and similar but ..I have anything I was looking for before with he1000se .. sub rumbles , reverbs , bass slam , that mids extra fletching and -much- better rendering , and a more convincing voices natural prominence ( missing before ..)..all is absolutely more organic and all-alltogheter smoothly spaced , with separation and place of instrument still of the most excellent level

I am still learning about this update ( so musical too .. )

I guess AI learned a lot before me though;
before that , Sony engs implemented and researched the AI finests and most consistents , frankly it was inimmaginable too before hearing it ( I am still taking measures with the changes ); the he1000se sound like never before.
It's real.

@Sonywalkmanuser i didnt answer you still as I am still 'meeting' the changes ..never been a user of dsee before as I found the other dsp more interesting, now I am going again through my library with dsee....it is nice to see some productions do not change nearly / at all where others get new dimensions and new space informations
Also mids and general vibrancy the "live" aspect of music is better . On some productions the thing is very evident .

Have you managed to source the swissbit industrial microsd? Do note that there are two models, one is Industrial temp and extended temperature. There is not much difference in pricing between these two. So just get the industrial model as it has operating temp of -40C to 85C vs -25C to 85C for extended model.

This is just the basic 2 page datasheet:
https://www.swissbit.com/data/S-55u/S-55u_fact_sheet.pdf

@andrewski
There is actually a much more detailed datasheet that Swissbit provides only upon request by customer. Let me pm you. @boodi , I shall share with you as well.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #12,757 of 15,871
One of my fav jazz test record is Hiromi 'Alive', and i know parts and micro transients and nuances in performers solos so well here .
The added sense of organicity is startling > the bass plucks reverbs and tones are more solid , there's added vibrancy , it is a top record and production and it sounds awesome from any source , and I am always searching the different timbral perspective for some of its passages , using dsee ultimate is giving a more vibrant rendering ..'alive'

@Sonywalkmanuser yes i got it , i guess the right one.. But still did not put it at use , been busy with the new 1.07/dsee listenings lately ( from internal storage only )

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #12,758 of 15,871
Also its quite surprising how much ' the hi-end sound ' only fully comes out and display after 30m~+ / 1hr playing , as usual ymmv , placebo brain adaption etc etc ( any disclaimer you like ) , and lucky I dont have to convince anyone about the small differences that count for me ; but my girl which may use my portable gears on the sofa for relaxing in the eve after work , actually have same impressions of mine

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #12,759 of 15,871
One if my fav jazz test record is Hiromi 'Alive', i know it so well . The added sense of organicity is startling > the bass plugs are more solid , there's added vibrancy , it is a top record and production and it sounds awesome from any source , and I am always searching the different timbral perspective of some of its passages , using dsee ultimate is giving a more vibrant rendering ..'alive'

@Sonywalkmanuser yes i got it , i guess the right one.. But still did not put it at use , been busy with the new 1.07/dsee listenings latey ( from internal storage only )

I think it is good that you decide to make a pause on the deployment of the Swissbit, as it allows you to fully understand the changes of 1.07 before you add in something that might change the sound yet again.

Once you are ready to use the Swissbit, do remember to format the card first via the Walkman android OS first for optimal performance.

Sep 26, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #12,761 of 15,871
@Sonywalkmanuser I feel that dynamic swing is better too with the new dsee , delicacy in transients is superb , was quite good before but upmost right now , it feels a notch better then before when playing on contrasts between different instrument' dynamics and their volume ranges..
fine things , or subtle .. but it's there

i.e. Emerson Lake and Palmer ' Toccata is 'rawer' (?) with dsee then before ( not sure here about why ) but..still, the digital trumpets (keyb) and the easy drums partiture have a seemingly wider rendering of dynamic range and show

1.07 dsee seems also to generally add a touch more of forgivness at times ..still testing though

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #12,762 of 15,871
@Sonywalkmanuser I feel that dynamic swing is better too with the new dsee , delicacy in transients is superb ( was quite good before ) but upmost right feels a notch better then before when playing on contrasts between different instrument' dynamics and their volume ranges..
fine things but...it's there
I guess you belong to the super human hearing club too?

I think what you are describing is the AI bit depth expansion to 32bit function that exist with DSEE Ultimate. Think of something like a reversed Dynamic Normalizer DSP function, instead of normalizing transients down to the same levels, Sony makes the AI go about increasing the explosiveness and loudness swing of the transients and of course done in an intelligent fashion. I didn't hear this effect while using DSEE Extreme on products like the WFXM4 and the WHXM5.

I feel this effect introduces better mental engagement to the music. But there maybe a downside for this, it can make certain music sound less relaxing, but if relaxing is required, there's always DSD Remastering or Direct Source mode for that.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #12,763 of 15,871
Sure i didnt notice distortions or highs pitching out from the context (at all ) , or that the 'explosivness ' of some transients and passages is unbraided

sure it was flatter before though

more engaging, yes : due to a set of differences not just dynamics , the new whole rendering feels even more natural then before at times , the better reverbs add in character and presence

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #12,764 of 15,871
Sure i didnt notice distortions or highs pitching out from the context (at all ) , or that the 'explosivness ' of some transients and passages is unbraided

sure it was flatter before though

more engaging, yes : due to a set of differences though not just dynamics , the new whole rendering feels even more natural then before , the better reverbs adds in character / presence of some instruments

Just wait till you try DSEE Ultimate with the Swissbit industrial microsd, the pitch black background of the Swissbit makes it sound even more holographic.

Sep 26, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #12,765 of 15,871

If this is true, it makes me sad about how far behind their own 360RA content and sound is lagging behind atmos. I’ve used multiple different sony headphones and in-ears, both on mobile and on my ZX500, yet I can’t really say I enjoyed any 360 mix. It tends to sound splashy and very high pitched, atmos on the other hand actually works wonders with my IER-M9s which already have a holographic like imaging aspect.

It makes me sad Sony is neglecting atmos support on their Walkman players, I hope they change this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back