SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 8, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #13,607 of 15,629
Not working, unfortunately.
Allright it seems Android 11 needs another method. In the comments of the video above there is two methods for android 11

1. Seems to be quite easy and quick one:

2. With accessibility menu (user @kmli from the comments of the Walkman with Android 9 FRP bypass video used this successfully to unlock his WM1AM2)

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #13,609 of 15,629
you can also try using Isopropyl alcohol to clean the contacts between conductive materials, which is a very common tasks in electrical works. It is a wonderful way to clean it. I do it all the time to plug and jacks and everything else. I have not tried it on MicroSD card though

Jan 8, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #13,610 of 15,629
Allright it seems Android 11 needs another method. In the comments of the video above there is two methods for android 11

1. Seems to be quite easy and quick one:

2. With accessibility menu (user @kmli from the comments of the Walkman with Android 9 FRP bypass video used this successfully to unlock his WM1AM2)

Well, well, well... Looks like number 2 my have just made the trick.
Thank you very much indeed!

Jan 9, 2024 at 11:20 PM Post #13,611 of 15,629
Ordered the wm1a, amazon delivers me an empty box, I believe either driver stole it or packaging people at amazon stole it. I was pretty upset to pick up an empty box when I was looking forward to it the whole day.

Amazon sends me a replacement, and now this comes with a dead pixel.

On a positive note, it is a very nice change for me to use a Sony DAP vs AK as I was always AK for many years.

Anyways, anyone else experience receiving a unit with a dead pixel? I never had this happen with AK DAPs.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 12:35 AM Post #13,612 of 15,629
I have NW-WM1A M1. I bought it brand new 2 years ago. It also had one dead pixel in the lower right hand corner on delivery. As it is visible on start only I have decided not to bother. I feel more than compensated by the possibility to swap third party firmwares unlike M2.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #13,613 of 15,629
Ordered the wm1a, amazon delivers me an empty box, I believe either driver stole it or packaging people at amazon stole it. I was pretty upset to pick up an empty box when I was looking forward to it the whole day.

Amazon sends me a replacement, and now this comes with a dead pixel.

On a positive note, it is a very nice change for me to use a Sony DAP vs AK as I was always AK for many years.

Anyways, anyone else experience receiving a unit with a dead pixel? I never had this happen with AK DAPs.
I have said it before on this forum: don't buy electronics from Amazon. I have had multiple bad experiences, the worst being delivery of Shure SE846 with everything in the box except the actual IEMs. In their place was two quarters. Apparently, Amazon weighs boxes for theft identification and I'm guessing each IEM weighs about the same as a quarter. This is just one of my bad electronics purchase experiences with Amazon.

Jan 10, 2024 at 7:24 AM Post #13,614 of 15,629
Is this model volume capped? sony yy1298b. Buying this used model via eBay and o would like to know of this is the European version/capped.

SmartSelect_20240110_072335_eBay.jpg

Jan 10, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #13,615 of 15,629
Is this model volume capped? sony yy1298b. Buying this used model via eBay and o would like to know of this is the European version/capped.

Just guessing, dare not confirm, it stated Fr which is France and below LECTEUR is French too. Might mean it is an EU unit which is capped.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #13,616 of 15,629

The YY1298B is the generic model # for the WM1AM2, and it is the same model number Globally, so it does not tell anything about the Country of release.

Best guess is that this is a North America model, which is not capped, and has Hi-Gain
The Region would be at the top left corner of the serial # label, which in your photo has a sticker over that portion, so cannot see it.
The other clue is the language on the label.
Your label has EN and FR (English and French), and in the box under the big blue OB (Open Box?) sticker, you will see that it says "For United States" and to the right,
"In the Province of Quebec."
This would indicate the label is for North America, as the official language for the US is English, and for Canada, the 2 official languages are English and French

****************************************************************************************************************************
I took a look at the box for my WM1AM2. It is a Japan model, and the Region shows as a "J" on the upper left hand corner of the serial # label. There are also Japanese characters on the label.
Below is a photo from Ebay for a Japanese model. It is similar to my label.
WM1AM2 label region-J.jpg

****************************************************************************************************************************
Below label is for a Korea model.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-m2-wm1a-m2.962054/post-17097705

The label below is for a Korea model, with the Region "E", for Asia/Australia/NZ/Tourist. Note the Korea language on the label
WM1AM2 E Korea.jpg

A clearer photo of a Region E label.
WM1AM2 Region E label.jpg

********************************************************************************************
Below is a table for the 1st Gen Walkmans, showing the Destination Code/Region Code.
Destination Code E is for Asia/Australia/NZ/Tourist
https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

Destination codes: There may be some inaccurate information in the table below because of Sony's inconsistent naming scheme. Indeed destination codes sometimes vary from one service manual to another. In doubt, choose "U" (USA), it often a good choice.

Destination codeAreaVolumeLanguageFM rangeNW-WM1NW-A20NW-A35
JJapanuncappedJapanese only (NW) / multilingual (default Japanese) (NWZ)76 - 95/108 MHzLine-in recording menu and settings (WMC-NWR1 cable necessary); specific profile setting for MDR-NC31/NWNC33 NC earphones; ATRAC (Lossless) playback*Line-in recording menu and settings (WMC-NWR1 cable necessary); specific profile setting for MDR-NC31/NWNC33 NC earphones; ATRAC (Lossless) playback*
UUSAuncappedmultilingual (default English)87,5 - 108 MHz
U2USAuncappedmultilingual (default English)87,5 - 108 MHz
U3USAuncappedmultilingual (default English)87,5 - 108 MHz
CACanadauncappedmultilingual (default English)87,5 - 108 MHz"High Gain Output" available
CEVEast Europeuncappedmultilingual (default English)87,5 - 108 MHz
CE7??multilingual (default English)87,5 - 108 MHz
CEWWest Europecapped and warning [Check the volume level] at some pointmultilingual (default English)87,5 - 108 MHz
CEW2West Europecapped and warning [Check the volume level] at some pointmultilingual (default English)87,5 - 108 MHz
CNChinauncappedmultilingual (default S Chinese)87,5 - 108 MHz"High Gain Output" setting
KRKorea?multilingual (default English)87,5 - 108 MHz
EAsia / Australia / NZ / Touristuncappedmultilingual (default English)87,5 - 108 MHz"High Gain Output" and "Remote Control" (RMT-NWS20 necessary) settings
MXMexico / Latin America?multilingual (default English)87,5 - 108 MHz
E2Asia / Australia / NZ / Touristuncappedmultilingual (default English)87,5 - 108 MHz"High Gain Output" setting but missing "Language" and "Text input" settings
MX3Mexico / Latin America?multilingual (default English)87,5 - 108 MHz
TWTaiwanuncappedmultilingual (default T Chinese)87,5 - 108 MHz

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #13,618 of 15,629
The YY1298B is the generic model # for the WM1AM2, and it is the same model number Globally, so it does not tell anything about the Country of release.

Best guess is that this is a North America model, which is not capped, and has Hi-Gain
The Region would be at the top left corner of the serial # label, which in your photo has a sticker over that portion, so cannot see it.
The other clue is the language on the label.
Your label has EN and FR (English and French), and in the box under the big blue OB (Open Box?) sticker, you will see that it says "For United States" and to the right,
"In the Province of Quebec."
This would indicate the label is for North America, as the official language for the US is English, and for Canada, the 2 official languages are English and French

I took a look at the box for my WM1AM2. It is a Japan model, and the Region shows as a "J" on the upper left hand corner of the serial # label. There are also Japanese characters on the label.
Below is a photo from Ebay for a Japanese model. It is similar to my label.

Below label is for a Korea model.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-m2-wm1a-m2.962054/post-17097705

The label below is for a Korea model, with the Region "E", for Asia/Australia/NZ/Tourist. Note the Korea language on the label

A clearer photo of a Region E label.

********************************************************************************************
Below is a table for the 1st Gen Walkmans, showing the Destination Code/Region Code.
Destination Code E is for Asia/Australia/NZ/Tourist
https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

Destination codes: There may be some inaccurate information in the table below because of Sony's inconsistent naming scheme. Indeed destination codes sometimes vary from one service manual to another. In doubt, choose "U" (USA), it often a good choice.

Destination codeAreaVolumeLanguageFM rangeNW-WM1NW-A20NW-A35
JJapanuncappedJapanese only (NW) / multilingual (default Japanese) (NWZ)76 - 95/108 MHzLine-in recording menu and settings (WMC-NWR1 cable necessary); specific profile setting for MDR-NC31/NWNC33 NC earphones; ATRAC (Lossless) playback*Line-in recording menu and settings (WMC-NWR1 cable necessary); specific profile setting for MDR-NC31/NWNC33 NC earphones; ATRAC (Lossless) playback*
UUSAuncappedmultilingual (default English)87,5 - 108 MHz
U2USAuncappedmultilingual (default English)87,5 - 108 MHz
U3USAuncappedmultilingual (default English)87,5 - 108 MHz
CACanadauncappedmultilingual (default English)87,5 - 108 MHz"High Gain Output" available
CEVEast Europeuncappedmultilingual (default English)87,5 - 108 MHz
CE7??multilingual (default English)87,5 - 108 MHz
CEWWest Europecapped and warning [Check the volume level] at some pointmultilingual (default English)87,5 - 108 MHz
CEW2West Europecapped and warning [Check the volume level] at some pointmultilingual (default English)87,5 - 108 MHz
CNChinauncappedmultilingual (default S Chinese)87,5 - 108 MHz"High Gain Output" setting
KRKorea?multilingual (default English)87,5 - 108 MHz
EAsia / Australia / NZ / Touristuncappedmultilingual (default English)87,5 - 108 MHz"High Gain Output" and "Remote Control" (RMT-NWS20 necessary) settings
MXMexico / Latin America?multilingual (default English)87,5 - 108 MHz
E2Asia / Australia / NZ / Touristuncappedmultilingual (default English)87,5 - 108 MHz"High Gain Output" setting but missing "Language" and "Text input" settings
MX3Mexico / Latin America?multilingual (default English)87,5 - 108 MHz
TWTaiwanuncappedmultilingual (default T Chinese)87,5 - 108 MHz
Seller took a pic, this is the peeled off code.
For those of you with the North American version, can you please confirm the letters UC on the barcode label?
SmartSelect_20240110_205143_eBay.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #13,619 of 15,629
Just curious for those of you who have the flagship wm1z... comparing to the wm1a, is it snappier in terms of user experience?

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #13,620 of 15,629
Owner of a WM1A since several years, I have been considering the purchase of a new DAP offering more modern hardware features. Unfortunately as a big fan of classical music there are very few DAPs which are able to sort the collection of tracks by composer, a key feature for this music genre. Certainly Astell &Kern and Fiio don't have this when I checked. So, back to Sony which has the needed interface.
But there is something which is bothering me for devices of that price category. The WM1A I have is made in Malaysia, but the new models are now made in China? Does this not bother anybody? For about USD3'500 for a WM1ZM2 I would expect a "made in Japan" engraving or anything close to that. It's like buying a Swiss watch marked "made in China". Would you buy it?
I know what Apple does, but I have no ambitions to buy a gold plated iPhone at this point!
Any comments about that are very welcome.

I am as guilty of this as anyone, but people place entirely too much on the “Made In” moniker. That is the final point of assembly, and increasingly that is done where it is cheapest for products that aren’t terribly difficult to assemble. Nikon, for example, manufactures most lenses in Thailand now unless they are more difficult to assemble. Flipside, you will find products where the content is listed in things like cars showing that the final point of assembly is Japan, but a vast percentage of their components as being of Chinese origin.

If I had to pick, I would take the core components from Japan assembled elsewhere as opposed to core components from elsewhere assembled in Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back