SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 16, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #13,728 of 15,641
Do you guys enable Dynamic Normalizer on the M2's? I own a ton of DSD albums and I have digitized close to 100 LPs to 1Bit DSD and going from PCM to DSD is scarry! The volume difference is something that's making me consider the dynamic Normalizer; is this feature destructive? Would it change the quality of the recording if enabled?

Jan 16, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #13,729 of 15,641
Do you guys enable Dynamic Normalizer on the M2's? I own a ton of DSD albums and I have digitized close to 100 LPs to 1Bit DSD and going from PCM to DSD is scarry! The volume difference is something that's making me consider the dynamic Normalizer; is this feature destructive? Would it change the quality of the recording if enabled?
There is only one way to know 😊

Jan 16, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #13,730 of 15,641
Can't wait for my AM2 to arrive in the next two weeks. If it's better than my RME ADI-2 then I can sell and consolidate. Will mostly compare it against my Fiio M15 and it will be a bonus if it beats RME. So far I'm really happy with my switch from headphones to IEM.

Jan 17, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #13,732 of 15,641
I found it horribly destructive. Made me seek out a remote for easy volume adjustment. I really love the shuffle feature with All Songs so having instant control of the volume is essential as each track may be very different in volume level.

Jan 18, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #13,734 of 15,641
someone needs to compare a swissbit sd card to the new samsung which also uses 28mn
I've never heard the Samsung, but it's Swissbit 256G for $150 vs Samsung 512G for $75.

The Samsung seems built for speed, but boasts better error correction (which I'm guessing is the the secret sauce to sound quality, maybe better power consumption too).

None of these companies make any claims to sound quality. I think it's an unexpected side effect from whatever they're doing.

imho ymmv ... or something :)

Jan 18, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #13,735 of 15,641
I've never heard the Samsung, but it's Swissbit 256G for $150 vs Samsung 512G for $75.

The Samsung seems built for speed, but boasts better error correction (which I'm guessing is the the secret sauce to sound quality, maybe better power consumption too).

None of these companies make any claims to sound quality. I think it's an unexpected side effect from whatever they're doing.

imho ymmv ... or something :)
yeah, however the samsung is newer, and the company itself probably has much larger amounts of money to pour into development, I wouldn't be surprised if they found a way to make an sd card on similar quality and mass produce it.

Jan 18, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #13,736 of 15,641
yeah, however the samsung is newer, and the company itself probably has much larger amounts of money to pour into development, I wouldn't be surprised if they found a way to make an sd card on similar quality and mass produce it.
The Song is loaded into the internal memory (RAM) as data (not PWM) and then into the CPU cache before being decoded and then touched by the S-Master HX.

So when the music file is converted from data to music, it is already in the RAM and the SD-Card has no longer any influence on it.

I am pretty sure this was already explained in the past here. I've read that several times and did post it myself too

Jan 18, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #13,737 of 15,641
1000022668.png

Data can't be more correct

Jan 18, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #13,738 of 15,641
I ALWAYS use ONLY frozen SD cards in my DAP. I take them out of my fridge at about -18°C. Everyone knows that electronics work much better and create less noise and less errors, if used at lower temperatures. For my DAP it means an ear opening, so much more detailed, 3D, transparent, and simply better sound than I ever experienced at room temperature or higher. Just as day and night. Try it and you'll know what I mean. Don't know how other DAPs behave here but with the AM2 it's simply a huge improvement 👍🏼
And while traveling I always carry two very compact ice boxes keeping them cool for hours 🙂

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #13,739 of 15,641
I ALWAYS use ONLY frozen SD cards in my DAP. I take them out of my fridge at about -18°C. Everyone knows that electronics work much better and create less noise if used at lower temperatures. For my DAP it means an ear opening, so much more detailed, 3D, transparent, and simply better sound than I ever experienced at room temperature or higher. Just as day and night. Try it and you'll know what I mean. Don't know how other DAPs behave here but with the AM2 it's simply a huge improvement 👍🏼
And while traveling I always carry two very compact ice boxes keeping them cool for hours 🙂
Yeah!! They work so good that if you have frozen temperatures, your electric vehicle have 40%+ increased driving range , also 100% faster charging

Joining your sarcasm for fun, regarding electricity

Jan 18, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #13,740 of 15,641
I ALWAYS use ONLY frozen SD cards in my DAP. I take them out of my fridge at about -18°C. Everyone knows that electronics work much better and create less noise and less errors, if used at lower temperatures. For my DAP it means an ear opening, so much more detailed, 3D, transparent, and simply better sound than I ever experienced at room temperature or higher. Just as day and night. Try it and you'll know what I mean. Don't know how other DAPs behave here but with the AM2 it's simply a huge improvement 👍🏼
How many songs does the temperature of SD card last inside the DAP for hi-res songs ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back