SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 12, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #14,072 of 15,741
If you want to operate it from a distance, you are better off getting up ifi Zen.

Edit: Tidal connect should work on wm1am2.

I have never been able to get Tidal Connect to work with either Android or iOS when trying to control another device running the Tidal app (like Spotify does). I thought it only worked with a limited number of dedicated streamers. Maybe I'm not understanding?

Feb 12, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #14,073 of 15,741
I have never been able to get Tidal Connect to work with either Android or iOS when trying to control another device running the Tidal app (like Spotify does).
i think tidal can't do that like spotify does.

Feb 12, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #14,074 of 15,741
Feb 12, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #14,075 of 15,741
Have you ever tried it? I can't get it to work, please tell me how, maybe I'm an idiot... :wink:
I believe Tidal Connect only works with some hardware. It's not possible to use with other apps or devices that are on the hardware approved.

Feb 12, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #14,076 of 15,741
I believe Tidal Connect only works with some hardware. It's not possible to use with other apps or devices that are on the hardware approved.

That's what I thought. I only posted because the OP on this issue was wanting to use Tidal Connect on WM1AM2 connected to TA-ZH1ES and control remotely with a tablet/phone. I don't believe that will work.

One option that could work is setting up the WM1AM2 as a UPnP/DLNA renderer and then controlling with another device as a UPnP/DLNA control point using something like mConnect.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #14,078 of 15,741
I have never been able to get Tidal Connect to work with either Android or iOS when trying to control another device running the Tidal app (like Spotify does). I thought it only worked with a limited number of dedicated streamers. Maybe I'm not understanding?
Tidal Connect exists but support is quite limited. Here's a list of devices:

https://tidal.com/supported-devices?filter=tidal-connect

The list is much shorter than for Spotify Connect:

https://connect.spotify.com/

When you go to the cast option in Tidal it shows a list of devices and which mechanism they use. All of mine use Chromecast.

Feb 13, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #14,080 of 15,741
Anyone have the japanese gold brick and have used warranty yet? How would that work and was it painless?

Side Note: I bought a brand new 1am2 and a brand new 1zm2 and the 1am2 came out of box with 1 dead pixel om screen.

Then shortly for the zm2 there was also a dead pixel. Are people experiencing the sony daps to have dead pixels quite easily?

Or did I just get super unlucky as I am 2 for 2 and they were both brand new units.

I did end up keeping just the 1zm2 but since it is the japanese version, warranty seems bit annoying.
I think it's not uncommon for SONY DAPs to have deal pixels, after all they are putting their worst screens on Walkmans, LOL.

Feb 14, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #14,081 of 15,741
I think it's not uncommon for SONY DAPs to have deal pixels, after all they are putting their worst screens on Walkmans, LOL.
Dead pixels are very common occurrence. It can happen on any display device:

This is what monitor manufacturers like Dell says:
During the LCD manufacturing process, it is not uncommon for one or more subpixels to get into an unchanging state, causing a bright or dead pixel. A display with 1 to 5 fixed subpixels is considered normal and within industry standards.
https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-sg/000126004/dell-display-pixel-guidelines

As for worst screen, I don’t think Sony would intentionally make use of the worst quality parts for their Walkman. If they really want to skimp on quality to gain a few more bucks then you won’t see 2016 WM1Z and WM1A still functioning in 2024 with original batteries and still holding adequate charge. It doesn’t make any logical sense to be using gold inside the solder flux and the premium gold plated chassis and thick copper shielding but to skip on cost and use the worst lcd screens. I would believe that these Japanese engineers do have some pride in their products and won’t resort to cheapening out.

Also Sony engineers have said in their zx707 engineer’s interview that they have intentionally used regular LCD screens over OLED as they deemed LCD to be better suited for sound quality due to higher levels of power fluctuations with OLED.

https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/zx700/

Even with the same Android, the criteria for choosing a smartphone SoC are completely different.​

Sato (morning): That's right. In addition, the display of "NW-ZX707" adopts liquid crystal (LCD) instead of the popular organic EL (OLED) for the same reason. Organic EL exhibits high contrast by stopping the light emitted when displayed in black, and also reduces power consumption, but on the contrary, when white is displayed, the power consumption increases. Therefore, depending on the content displayed, the power consumption goes up and down greatly. Therefore, "NW-ZX707" dared to install a liquid crystal display from the perspective of sound quality.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #14,082 of 15,741
Well all I can say is based on my own experience.. I had no dead pixels on the 3 AK daps I have owned in past.

And for the 2 sony daps I bought both had a single dead pixel, one was returned as it was bought off amazon (the 1a) and one was bought from Japan (the 1z) so I am not going to send it back to Japan just over a dead pixel as I intend to keep this dap to use myself anyways.

Just little annoyed that it is going to hurt the resell value down the line in future and give the impression to potential buyer that I did not take care of the device.

Feb 14, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #14,083 of 15,741
Well all I can say is based on my own experience.. I had no dead pixels on the 3 AK daps I have owned in past.

And for the 2 sony daps I bought both had a single dead pixel, one was returned as it was bought off amazon (the 1a) and one was bought from Japan (the 1z) so I am not going to send it back to Japan just over a dead pixel as I intend to keep this dap to use myself anyways.

Just little annoyed that it is going to hurt the resell value down the line in future and give the impression to potential buyer that I did not take care of the device.
I am currently owning three Sony Walkmans, ZX2, ZX507 and WM1AM2, none of them have dead pixels.
All of my Walkmans are store bought, so I do rigorously unbox and check them for dead pixels before exiting the store.

I guess it’s just bad luck on your end to encounter two Walkmans with dead pixels.

I would think that dead pixel is not yet of a too common occurrence for Sony Walkman. A search result on headfi and other Sony Walkman threads on the internet for dead pixel should give an indication of that.

Then again. I would think that the premium wm1zm2 could have been through more stringent quality control checks at the factory for dead pixels, since it is such an expensive product. Sony needs to do better.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 4:04 AM Post #14,084 of 15,741
I am currently owning three Sony Walkmans, ZX2, ZX507 and WM1AM2, none of them have dead pixels.
All of my Walkmans are store bought, so I do rigorously unbox and check them for dead pixels before exiting the store.

I guess it’s just bad luck on your end to encounter two Walkmans with dead pixels.

I would think that dead pixel is not yet of a too common occurrence for Sony Walkman. A search result on headfi and other Sony Walkman threads on the internet for dead pixel should give an indication of that.

Then again. I would think that the premium wm1zm2 could have been through more stringent quality control checks at the factory for dead pixels, since it is such an expensive product. Sony needs to do better.
All good. I am not too mad about it as life has been really good in general. New kid. Work is going ok. Health in tact. As cheesy as that all sounds, those were literally the self forced thoughts to make myself feel better about the dead pixel. Haha.

I got massive ocd so things like this really really bug me.

Feb 15, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #14,085 of 15,741
No news about android 13 Maj on 1am2/1zm2 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back