SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #24,856 of 45,723
They both seem the same to me, but I haven’t given it much thought, as I believe they would be the same? But you need the dock really and a AudioQuest Cinnamon or Carbon USB cable. The second best is to use the dongle. I get my Carbon USB in about two weeks. But I can confirm the dock Is the best, the dongle is second best and the side miniUSB connection is the third best. Of course the side (third best) is a Sony USB included with a miniUSB and stabilizer plug with the Sony Walkman plug on the other end. They also include a regular USB cable with the amp.The dock has added circuits which is the understanding method which changes the sound.

So the promotional photographs all show the Walkman and TA in the third best configuration.

The Audioquest upgrade USB has been reported to really work wonders in this thread.

No one has reported the Diamond to be better than the Carbon though?
https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Diamond-Cable-Type-75m/dp/B004LR7HP4

The Walkman input is miles better than SPDIF Toslink RCA into the TA from CD transport. Couldn’t tell you why? But I’ve checked it side by side.
Confirmed regarding that the dock is the best following by the dongle and the included digital cable is good but placed last.

Oct 18, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #24,857 of 45,723
Hey guess, I know for the most part this is subjective. I'm relatively new to portable audio, I mainly listen at home with a good DAC and Amp, I use Focal Elear, Shure SE846's (IEMS) and Audeze iSine's 20's and have a few others...I'm in the market for a higher end DAP, I've been looking at the Sony WM1A, WM1Z, AK SP100M, and possibly others. Besides the Sony being strictly a music player (no wifi or apps) How do the sound signatures differ? Being the Elear and SE846's are pretty laid back on the top end my ears really enjoy this sound...warm and great punch low end, obviously not the most resolving or analytical signature, but I like that. I do stream using Tidal and have Google Play Premium for music and ad free videos, and use them occasionally on my iphone, do you think by having wifi and these streaming services affects the sound of these devices? Thanks for any input.

I also see the price difference between the WM1A and 1Z. Crazy! Is the sound signature that much better with copper and better internal wiring? I've heard it does make music a tad warmer and maybe a better soundstage. Is that subjective?

With the latest firmware they can act as bluetooth receivers and usb dacs

Oct 18, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #24,860 of 45,723
They both seem the same to me, but I haven’t given it much thought, as I believe they would be the same? But you need the dock really and a AudioQuest Cinnamon or Carbon USB cable. The second best is to use the dongle. I get my Carbon USB in about two weeks. But I can confirm the dock Is the best, the dongle is second best and the side miniUSB connection is the third best. Of course the side (third best) is a Sony USB included with a miniUSB and stabilizer plug with the Sony Walkman plug on the other end. They also include a regular USB cable with the amp.The dock has added circuits which is the understanding method which changes the sound.

So the promotional photographs all show the Walkman and TA in the third best configuration.

The Audioquest upgrade USB has been reported to really work wonders in this thread.

No one has reported the Diamond to be better than the Carbon though?
https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Diamond-Cable-Type-75m/dp/B004LR7HP4

The Walkman input is miles better than SPDIF Toslink RCA into the TA from CD transport. Couldn’t tell you why? But I’ve checked it side by side.
That's a lot to take in - I don't even think the Sony dock is available in the UK - I've certainly never seen or heard of it until now.

So, sound-quality wise, would it matter whether I used the 1Z or the 1A with the dock?

Oct 18, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #24,862 of 45,723
That's great, I would actually love to use it in conjunction with my Nivida Shield via Bluetooth.

it is very much possible, if you find a way to get it to connect with a different protocol than SBC let me know

20181018_184803135_iOS.jpg

Oct 18, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #24,863 of 45,723
That's a lot to take in - I don't even think the Sony dock is available in the UK - I've certainly never seen or heard of it until now.

So, sound-quality wise, would it matter whether I used the 1Z or the 1A with the dock?

I’ve got a dock in Denmark that I might consider letting go. Pm me if you are interested. And yes I don’t think it’s available in Europe, got mine from Japan

Oct 18, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #24,864 of 45,723
If you want the very best DAC USB connection setup, I would recommend the following:

1) USB Galvanic isolation device like iFi or Intona. This will eliminate any USB line noise from your source.
2) USB power isolator like iFi iDefender or an USB cable that separates power and signal.
3) Low noise or linear power supply like iFi iPower or Uptone LPS. This allows your WM1z to charge with a clean power source.

Probably the best priced solution is the iFi iGalvanic promotion that includes all of the above for $368, but hard to find now. You also don't need special USB cables for this either, except you want to go as short length as possible. This setup is also just as good for any desktop DAC too. I am using the iFi iGalvanic bundle for my WM1z and it works/charges perfectly.

Oct 18, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #24,865 of 45,723
Can someone point me in the direction of the older FW, so that I can pick and mix...

Oct 18, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #24,866 of 45,723
Can someone point me in the direction of the older FW, so that I can pick and mix...

2.0 for windows

Sendspace File Delivery Notification:

You've got a file called NW-WM1_V2_00.exe, (115.2 MB) waiting to be downloaded

Description: wm1a 2.0

You can use the following link to retrieve your file:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/5tbhrt

The file may be available for a limited time only

Oct 18, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #24,867 of 45,723

They are all in my DropBox link that I shared earlier in the thread

Oct 18, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #24,869 of 45,723
I’ve got a dock in Denmark that I might consider letting go. Pm me if you are interested. And yes I don’t think it’s available in Europe, got mine from Japan
Thanks - I'll keep that in mind - I only recently started thinking about going down the Sony route and, as always happens with these things, it grows arms and legs and ends and ends up not being as straightforward as first thought....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back